Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arborwolf

Spring Plant Swap 2023 SA May 13 11:00 Berthoud

arborwolf
last year

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for voting on a date.

The Plant Swap will be in Berthoud near County Road 23 and County Road 4, West of Hwy 287.

This is the place to let us know if you plan to come, and to tell us what you might be bringing, or what you're hoping to find if there's something specific you might be looking for.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Arborwolf

Comments (22)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    last year

Hello everyone,

For anyone who hasn't been to a past swap, or anyone who has been to one but still has questions about who, what, when, where, and how we do it, here are the "Basic Swap FAQs" for you. Pretty much any questions you may have should be answered here, but if you think of something that isn't included here, this is the place to ask about it!

~~~~~ THE BASIC SWAP FAQ'S! ~~~~~

WHAT TO BRING!

Anything that has anything to do with gardening is welcome at the swap!

Plants, of course, are our primary "commodity," but people also sometimes bring fresh produce, like cut herbs, rhubarb, or other fresh spring veggies to include in the trading. The Spring Swap plants are usually mostly starts and seedlings of annual bedding plants and veggies, with some perennial “starter plants.” (The Fall Swap is usually mostly perennial starts!)

In addition to garden plants, we also welcome house plants, seeds, pots, books/magazines, tools, rocks, garden art.......... Anything garden related that you don't want or need anymore!

WHAT HAPPENS AT THE SWAP!

~ The Arriving Part!

When you arrive, there will be a table with a sign in sheet and name badges. Everybody needs to sign in and make a name badge for themselves and any significant others or guests that came with them.

~ The Eating Part!

We start out with the pot luck! Your dish can be absolutely anything, hot dishes, cold dishes, appetizers/finger foods, salads, sweets--anything you think others would enjoy! Homemade dishes are always good and very much appreciated! Please plan to bring a serving spoon if it will be needed for your dish, and also please make some provision for it to be covered--a lid if it's that type of a dish, or plastic wrap, or whatever. And a request I've made at swaps in the past that seemed to “even out” the types of dishes people were bringing! I love sweets, so I definitely don't want to put too much of a damper on the dessert type things, but at a couple of the early swaps we seemed to wind up with mostly sweets, so if you're trying to decide between that or something else, lean toward the something else!

~ The Swapping Part!

During the arriving/eating parts you will have had time to check out the plants people have brought, and now it's time for the swapping! First we make sure anybody who has plants earmarked for others, gets or has already gotten them to the right people. Then we draw numbers for the first TWO rounds of picking what we want. With number in hand, we go around and have everyone briefly describe what they brought so people know for sure what's there and so everyone can decide what they want the most! Then we go around twice in "number order" and each person picks the one thing they want the most in each round. This gives everyone a pretty good chance of getting the two things they really want! After the two "civilized" rounds of picking we open it up to a free-for-all! Everyone just goes around and grabs whatever they want of what's left! (Bring your Body Armor!) *NOTE:* At more recent swaps, after the first two rounds of picking we’ve been deciding as a group if we want to do more “rounds” of picking before we go to the free-for-all! Most people seem to prefer doing that, so odds are that’s what we’ll do again this time!

~ About the Earmarking!

On the day of the swap we don't allow any "early picking," meaning, while you can look and touch all you want, nobody can take any of the plants till we start our first two “official” rounds of picking! BUT we do allow earmarking of plants BEFORE the swap when people post what they plan to bring. When people start posting what they plan to bring they'll say whether or not they'll be willing to earmark plants for people, and if they are, you can ask for dibs on them at that point! In more recent years I and a couple other people have decided it's more fun to not do dibs—and less complicated—at one swap I had almost 150 plants earmarked for people and I almost needed to hire an accountant to keep track of it all! So for anyone who posts what they’re planning/hoping to bring, please state if you’re willing to do Dibs for people or not.

OUR PRIMARY SWAP RULE!

And then there's that one Swap Law that everybody needs to know about! Nobody needs to have any plants to be welcome at the swap! If you're new to gardening and don't have anything yet, if you just moved to a new house and don't have anything to give away yet, or if you just don't have anything for any reason at all, that's ok! There are always way, way plenty plants to go around, and we get together as much to swap gardening talk and friendship as to swap plants--so come regardless of how much you do or don't have to bring! (And, yes, you do get to pick plants in the swap part even if you weren't able to bring any!)

HERE'S SOME BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE PLANTS YOU BRING!

PLANT THEM – Whether it's divisions or seedlings or whole plants you'll be bringing, please try to get them into their pots AT LEAST a couple weeks before the swap so they have time to "settle in" and start to root out some. If plants are dug up and put into pots, and then taken back out of the pots to be planted in the ground just a couple days later, it's "double trauma" for them! Also, most plants don't do at all well in pots in "garden soil," so if at all possible, use some sort of a store bought potting mix—it doesn't need to be expensive! (But Hyponex brand would probably be worse than garden soil, so if that's the only option, stick with the garden soil!)

LABEL THEM – Please be sure the plants you bring are labeled one way or another! Here are some of the ways people have labeled their plants in the past: a regular plant tag in the pot – plastic beverage cups cut up into narrow strips – popsicle sticks – old blinds cut up into label size strips – staple or tape a piece of paper with the name onto the pot – write the name of the plant on the pot with a marker or crayon – make up adhesive labels with the plant name and basic information and stick them on the pots. I make up little strips of paper on the computer with the name and other info and include one with each plant. Be creative, but find some way to label them! Anything to ensure the person getting the plant will know what they have when they get home. When we're at the swap, we all think we'll be able to remember the things we're getting to take home, and then we wind up grabbing all kinds of things in the free-for-all, and........... Oops! What is this!

WATER THEM – Please plan to thoroughly water the plants you're bringing the DAY BEFORE the swap so they'll have time to drain well enough to be easy to transport, yet be wet enough to not be wilting at the swap or while people are taking them home!

TAKE THEM HOME! – It's a really good idea to bring a box/tray or two to carry your booty back home in! If the plants you're bringing are in something, don't let anybody else snag it, and you can use that to refill with the new goodies! We do ask that you please don't use someone else's boxes or trays without asking first if it's ok!

MARK YOUR EARMARKED PLANTS -- If you're earmarking something for someone who's requested it, please be sure to clearly mark on the pot somehow who it's for, to be sure it gets to the right person. You can write the screen name of the person on a paper bag and put the plants in the bag, or write the name of the person directly on the pot—if it’s a light enough color for that to work! That makes it easy for everyone to find the ones that are for them. Small boxes work well too! There will be an area “away from the general swap plants” to put things that are earmarked for specific people.

COMMUNICATION ABOUT THE SWAP!

ALL swap information is posted here on the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum! The ONLY email that will be sent directly to the people that are planning to attend the swap will be one with the address and directions, approximately a week before the swap. Be sure to Private Message the host with your email address so you can get on the mailing list!

BE SURE you have Private Messaging enabled on Houzz! To do that: Click on your screen name to go to your “profile page,” then, in the upper right corner hover over “Your Houzz,” then, in the drop-down menu click on “edit profile and settings.” From there, in the left side menu click on “advanced settings,” scroll all the way down to “privacy settings” and in the “who can message me” box, on the drop-down menu click on “allow anyone to message me.” Then click “update” on the bottom on the right side!

Also, since houzz took over, when you PM somebody the person who receives the message will NOT get your personal email address unless you put it in the BODY OF THE MESSAGE, so when you send your PM to the host BE SURE you include your email address in the message!

Now it’s your turn! If you’re planning—or hoping—to attend, come post that on this thread! And remember, you need to Private Message your email address to Arborwolf—in the body of the message—so she can send you her physical address and the directions when we get closer to the swap!

Skybird

TH 04.06.23 @ 1415 MDT

last year

Hi All!

Thank you Arborwolf for getting the swap thread started and for hosting this time!

If you're interested, I've been keeping a list of the people who have said they'll (probably) be coming so far from the previous "date" thread and the "first" thread before that one and I have a total of 16 people so far, including "spouses" of people that I know come with them! I suggest you start your own list of the people who say they're coming so you have somewhere to keep track of who has sent you their email address and who you don't have an address for yet--that way, in a couple weeks, you can post a list of the people you still need addresses from, rather than waiting till the last minute and getting into a scramble trying to get everything done when we're "getting close" and you're about to send the "address info!"

I'll be bringing the "numbers" we use for "picking," and a sign in sheet!

And if you want it I have a 2-gallon water container with a spigot that's very convenient for people who just want water to drink! Let me know if you'd like me to bring that along this time!

Here is a list of "other things" we'll need, so if you'll decide what you already have and/or what you're willing to provide, and then list the things that you'd like other people to volunteer to bring with them, people can start to "fill in the blanks!"

~ Basic things:

name tags

paper plates

napkins

drinking cups

silverware/plastic-ware

beverages

ice ?

~ Do you want/need:

chairs

tables

popup/portable shade canopies - can be a problem if it's windy, don't know if you want to try or not!

If I missed something that you think you might need and would like somebody to bring, add it to whatever list you come up with that you want people to help provide for you!

ANYBODY ELSE! If there's something you already know you'll volunteer to provide--on the lists or something else, please post it here so Arborwolf knows what things people are already planning to bring!

I'll PM my email address to you in the next couple days,

Skybird

TH 04.06.23 @ 1655 MDT

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    last year

Hello All,

I spoke with my sister Lucy. We will have paper plates, cups, napkins, and plastic ware for the event. We will also have name tags and water available.

Skybird, thank you and I will accept your offer of the list of people who would like to attend.

Can you also bring your 2-gallon water container?

We are asking everyone to bring:

• your own chair
    • head covering
    • extra tables if you have them (Lucy and I have three tables for the event)

There is some shade on the property, but a lot of sun too. I don't think we will need shade canopies for this event.

Make sure all attendees message me so I can send you the address.

Thanks and we are looking forward to this fun event!

Arborwolf (Camille) and Lucy

last year

Hi Arborwolf,

Here is the list of names I have so far, but I really suggest you copy this to either a “document” [I do it on a Word document] or to just a plain old piece of paper so you can keep adding to the list as other people post and say they’ll be coming! I keep my own list for the swaps, but since you’re hosting this time there’s a good chance that at least some people will tell you when they PM their email to you that they’re coming—and they will never get around to posting it on the thread here, so I usually wind up with a list that does not include everyone! Since there are “two of you” possibly Lucy could take over some of the stuff that will need to be done—maybe she could keep the list of people who say they’re coming?!?

And also, like I said above, you’ll need some way to keep track of who has already, and who still needs to, send you their email, so on however you decide to keep your own list of attendees you can “check people off” as they contact you and you’ve “saved” their email address however you’re going to do it! I can’t do that since I won’t know who has and has not contacted you.

In the names below, the ones with a question mark are the people who posted on “the first thread” that they planned to come, but never came back to post on the “date thread” to confirm that! Somewhere along the way most or all of these people “should” come back to post on the “actual swap thread” now that it’s started! The list is alphabetical, by screen name.

arborwolf (Camille) & Lucy

BohemianCottage

CatNoHat

DeZi (was DeZiLo)

Faith ?

gjcore + Leslie

mmmmm12 + husband

Oladon

popmama ?

Sam CO – said she “hopes”

skybird

tomatoz1

treebarb

I’ll bring the 2-gallon water dispenser—full! It’s a great way for people to fill up their cups, and if it gets empty—which it did at one swap—we can just take it in and fill it up again! And I’ll have the “numbers” and the sign in sheet!

With covid it’s been “several years” since I’ve been to a swap, and I am really looking forward to this one!

Skybird

TH 04.06.23 @ 2000 MDT

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    last year

I have started a list and have already had one person message me. I sent them the address. I will keep monitoring this site and send info as they message me. And I will send a blanket email again the week before the swap! Thanks for all your help Skybird! :-)

last year
    last modified: last year

I'll try to keep checking in here at least once a day from here on out, so if something comes up that I can help with I'll see it!

I just checked and I still have directions to your place from the 2015 swap! I don't use GPS so I make up a Word copy of "directions" to anyplace I need to go and then just save them in folders--in this case a Swap Directions folder--so I won't need them again from you, but when I have a chance I'll still PM my email address to you, just so you have it!

Skybird

TH 04.06.23 @ 2230 MDT

• Jerry (Broomfield CO 5)
    last year

I plan to be there and probably bring 2 other people. I'm trying not to ver-plant starts so much this year.

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    last year

Jerry,

Make sure you message me your email so I can send you the info

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    last year

Sounds good Catnohat! Don't forget to send me your email so I can send Berthoud swap information.

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    last year

All-

If you haven't already, please message me your personal email so I can send you the Berthoud address for the swap on May 13. Thanks.

• Alyssa Schear
    last year

I can’t figure out how to message you but my daughter and I are planning on attending.

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Alyssa,

Here are the directions to private message me to get the address.

BE SURE you have Private Messaging enabled on Houzz! To do that: Click on your screen name to go to your “profile page,” then, in the upper right corner hover over “Your Houzz,” then, in the drop-down menu click on “edit profile and settings.” From there, in the left side menu click on “advanced settings,” scroll all the way down to “privacy settings” and in the “who can message me” box, on the drop-down menu click on “allow anyone to message me.” Then click “update” on the bottom on the right side!

Also, since houzz took over, when you PM somebody the person who receives the message will NOT get your personal email address unless you put it in the BODY OF THE MESSAGE, so when you send your PM to the host BE SURE you include your email address in the message!

Thanks Arborwolf

• Alyssa Schear
    last year

Seems like it’s ok? Maybe I can send Skybird or Treebarb a message.

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    last year

Okay. Sure. I haven't received your personal email yet to send you address.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 months ago

Arborwolf, I have a 8 foot by 30" folding table I'll bring.

If anyone is having trouble messaging arborwolf to confirm attendance or get the swap address, please message me or Skybird by this weekend.

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Great Thank you Treebarb!

• Alyssa Schear
    11 months ago

Is there anything specific you prefer I bring? Anything we are missing - Food or useful. I have chairs and hats. Just going to the grocery after work.

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    11 months ago

We are doing a potluck first before the swap so bring whatever you like eating. We are asking that people bring their own chairs. I think it will be overcast tomorrow, but at least not raining and 60s temperature.

• Jerry (Broomfield CO 5)
    11 months ago

I will have two people with me. I plan to bring sloppy joes since it will be cool. I'm hoping that I can plug in a crockpot. I don't have as many starts as usual, but some new ones. I have two 6-packs of "White Soul" alpine strawberry plants to blooming stage. One six-pack of aspabroc/broccolini plants. Both new trials for me. Let me know if anyone wants clematis. I have one Huldine and one jackami superba I can dig up in the morning. I have a new tomato if anyone wants to experiment with me. I got it from my son-in-law's father who lives in Kentucky, he calls it Turkey Canyon and he says it is his top producer.

Do we have a guess at the number of sttendees?

• Alyssa Schear
    11 months ago

I would love love love clematis! I’ll bring either meatballs or a dessert then. Decide here in a few.

• arborwolf
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Hi Jerry,

Bring clematis. We have about 40-43 people - 2 people cancelled this week due to other obligations. Thursday I dug out some yucca, horehound, rabbit brush, yellow hollyhock, and some feverfew. Everything got waterlogged, but I think they will be okay tomorrow.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022