Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_bonerb

How should I furnish dining room?

julie bonerb
last year
last modified: last year

My dining room table is a dark ”espresso” stain. i am looking to replace the other furniture with something that compliments the style/color of the table. I am lost as to how to do so. Does anyone have recommendations as to how to furnish my dining room?

Comments (17)

• Maureen
    last year

If open to a less expected combination, consider injecting a bit of an eclectic look, which will feel more dynamic. A buffet that doesn’t match on long wall with two dining chairs flanking and add brass to complement your chandelier.

On the back wall instead of furniture, large art would be really eye catching.

Reupholstering the chairs and lovely linen drapes on a brass rod would be nice additions. Think big picture and the overall effect.

julie bonerb thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Too much heavy wood furniture. I'd get rid of the side pieces and look for a buffet with a lighter-looking frame. I like Maureen's idea of a painted console/buffet but you could aslo change out the head chairs, like this:

Lupton Drive · More Info

Or you could do the opposite and add upholstered chairs to the table to break up all the wood:

Dining Room Refresh · More Info

Here's a way to lighten the whole room with a painted console/buffet and a mix of upholstered and wood chairs:

Frontgate · More Info

julie bonerb thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • HU-73875209
    last year

I have nothing to offer for a buffet but I love your walls, would you mind sharing wall color and brand? Thank you

julie bonerb thanked HU-73875209
  • marmiegard_z7b
    last year

Deep wall color is dramatic for dining but may not work with the dark furniture— although if you added lighter rug and art and some echoing accessories, that might all work. And maybe chairs/ seat upholstery.

You might have fun watching Sarah Richardson YouTube’s of dining rooms she’s done. Sure, it won’t be the whole package for you, but her decision process, combination of custom plus second- hand, painting some furniture, balancing if this is dark, then this needs to be light and vice versa, choosing wall art, may give you some ideas.

julie bonerb thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • happyleg
    last year

Art on that back wall and maybe a skinny console table like a buffet unless you don't think you need it cuz you have the hutch do you want a rug I love those windows you're going to get drapes right?

julie bonerb thanked happyleg
  • happyleg
    last year

If you are going to get drapes only have the rods go across under the half of moon of the window and get white so blends and that they look very nice awesome I would do white chairs so it can be light and Airy

• Molly D. Zone4B
    last year

A second on what is that gorgeous wall color??

• ffpalms
    last year

I’d start by browsing for art that you love, then use it as a jumping off point to select drapery fabric, buffet, rug and accessories. I like the idea of insetting wallpaper into wall panels on the long wall opposite the windows.

julie bonerb thanked ffpalms
  • julie bonerb
    Original Author
    last year

Wow! thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! i agree about getting rid of the hurch and small table between windows. i struggle a bit with choosing art…can anyone recommend a good site or store?

the paint color is called Navy Seawall, Sherman Williams 😊

• julie bonerb
    Original Author
    last year

I want to do drapes but worry about placement of rod bc of the arched top

• ffpalms
    last year

Juniperprintshop.com is a good place to start your art search.

julie bonerb thanked ffpalms
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Try out some rugs that work with the upholstery on your chairs.

Then select a credenza for the long wall. Doesn't have to match but has to play nice

julie bonerb thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • julie bonerb
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! love all of the examples of credenzas that could work!

• happyleg
    last year

Drapes rod across the support bar; under the arch.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

I would go with drapes with usual way, from both sides above the arch cos not enough height to get nice look.

https://www.theshadestore.com/blog/window-treatments-arched-windows/

julie bonerb thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

The taller-the better.

julie bonerb thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images