Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcol88

Paint for new kitchen -Yellow?

Marie
last year
last modified: last year

Hello! My new cabinets are going in on Monday so I need to have my walls painted.

My cabinets are beaded shaker in SW Alabaster.

Floors are a natural/honey oak hardwood.

Perimeter countertops black soapstone and island is blue River marble.

Finishes are satin nickel.

Backsplash is nabi subway tile in tundra (from tile bar).

Kitchen is open to the living room which is painted SW Stardew, and thru the doorway adjoining the kitchen is the dining room which is a green Behr Dragonfly.

We have some natural light, you can see the large window and the sliding doors, and we have four more windows in the living room but we do have lots of green coming in from outside.

I’m trying to narrow down between a light yellow (SW lemon meringue) or alabaster like the cabinets. I like color obviously! But I worry about overdoing it.

I tried the SW Liveable green but we already have the green dining room and the stairwell upstairs is green so I don’t want to go nuts with shades of green everywhere.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice :)

Comments (32)

• houssaon
    last year

Yellow is a hard color to get right. I would match the color of the cabinets.

• Marie
    Original Author
    last year

@houssaon Yes it is! I have tried 6 samples so far of yellow and Lemon Meringue is the best I have seen, but I am still wary because I know it can be tricky.

• anna_682
    last year

Alabaster. Let the counters be the focal points.

Marie thanked anna_682
  • HU-918119203
    last year

Yellow doesn't relate to or accentuate your other elements. I like the green and blue/gray options far better, but if you are concerned about the room being too cold, I would go with alabaster or another off-white/cream. I would not design around your dining room, particularly since I bet once your new kitchen is complete you'll want to update it.

Marie thanked HU-918119203
  • cat_ky
    last year

No yellow, it will clash with the alabaster and it doesnt go well with the floors either. How about a much lighter shade of the dining room paint.. You could also do the alabaster, but, to me, that is a bit boring. The dining room color itself would also work, well, if it wouldnt make the room too dark??

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I agree no yellow but wall color and backsplash are the last 2 cgoices to make in a kitchen redo. So wait until everything else is in place then choose those.Before you choose anything else change thhat lighting to LED 4000K

Marie thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • M Miller
    last year

I agree with the first part of @Patricia Colwell Consulting's advice above. Wait until everything is in, because everything looks different now from what it will look like when everything else is installed. But I do not agree with her last sentence. She always recommends LED 4000K lighting, but actually that is operating room lighting, and is too harsh. Look for 3000-3500K lights instead. Buy one or two bulbs of each and see which you like better.

Marie thanked M Miller
  • Marie
    Original Author
    last year

@Patricia Colwell Consulting thank you, we do have the recessed lights being replaced and pendants being added.

• HU-918119203
    last year

3500-3750K. 4000K is really way too harsh for anything except a commercial kitchen.

Marie thanked HU-918119203
  • einportlandor
    last year

I'm usually a neutral color person, but when I remodeled my small kitchen I realized there is very little wall space once the cabinetry and appliances are installed. In the end I painted the kitchen mustard (or taxicab) yellow and have loved it ever since. My cabinets and backsplash are creamy white, the counters are deep charcoal and the floor is black and cream checkerboard. The point is if you have very little wall space you can consider using a bold color.

Marie thanked einportlandor
  • thinkdesignlive
    last year

Match your backsplash color for a calm and coordinated look

• cat_ky
    last year

I also agree, on either 3500 or 4000 led lights. Make sure the lightbulbs say daylight on them. Anything above 4000 is a bit too sterile for me. Kitchens should be bright, happy, cheerful places to be and to work in, rather than calm and relaxing.

• Anne Duke
    last year

I painted a room yellow, beautiful shade. Do you recall Yellow Pages?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Geez, not yellow! What's the point of remodeling the kitchen if you paint the walls yellow?

Alabaster walls with your current white trim

• catbuilder
    last year

I say do the yellow! I like the yellow sample on the left better. Yellow looks nice with white cabinets and oak flooring.

• laurbeck75
    last year

Years ago we painted our foyer and central hall a very light yellow called morning light BM 183. I love it against our creamy white trim and wood floors.

• lharpie
    last year

Ha! i remodeled my kitchen and painted it yellow too. i’m not sure why you have to make a boring white kitchen if you are remodeling it…. agree it took lots of samples and i’d wait until everything is in to decide.

• jackowskib
    last year

Honestly if you like to paint do what looks right to you. In some rooms it’s nice to be neutral and let all the accents do the talking.

• elcieg
    last year

What white are you using for trim? The same as the dining room pictured? On monitor, that white is blinding. Yet, the dining room ceiling is another white. I suggest painting all the woodwork alabaster in the same sheen as the cabinets...semi-gloss. All ceilings Alabaster cut 50% in flat finish.

• Rose Smith
    last year

Will the yellow cabinets make you happy? If yes, then it doesn't matter what people think. I love the idea of yellow cabinets. Why not? It's your house. I actually think the yellow marked 'The Light' will work nicely.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

They were talking about yellow walls not yellow cabinets. I personally also like yellow BUT if you have selected all hard finishes that do not relate to yellow or compliment yellow then you are headed in the wrong direction. Good news it's just paint and can be repainted when it looks like a whoopsies. The counter and backsplash are dictating the direction here.

• Marie
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Since it’s an open concept and because my island countertop is blue, perhaps a better solution is to keep the SW Stardew into the kitchen?

• Marie
    Original Author
    last year

Honestly my other concern was trying to transition between living room and kitchen colors here. I was prepared to come up with a creative molding situation but losing confidence.

• lharpie
    last year

Oh yeah yellow kitchen works better with not open concept. that might be a bit much.

• Marie
    Original Author
    last year

@lharpie I know :/ sometimes i really dont like open concept! Makes it hard..

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Opinions are - everyone has one. What I like doesn't matter - what you like is what matters.

As for the paint color, because it is open concept and you don't have an architectural break to create a natural color break I would continue the wall color through the kitchen. This does not mean that you can't add yellow elsewhere.

If I loved yellow, and I loved color I would add an area rug to the living room with blues and yellows, I would add yellow in the upholstery and I would find a beautiful vase and buy fresh yellow flowers every week for in my vase. I would have a light yellow fruit bowl or bread basket and I would add art that had blues and yellows. Add yellow bar stools or use yellow pendants.

There are tons of ways to add yellow without painting the walls yellow.

You just need to decide where and how you want to add your color.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

As for lighting. I use 5000 k in my home - it is not blue. It doesn't discolor my beloved purples. (yellow lighting makes purple look brown). My home is MCM, very clean lines.

My sister uses 2700 k lighting. It is perfect with her Tudor home, antique furnishings and fall color palette (greens, orange reds, golds).

There isn't one right answer. There are choices. Do you want the feeling of a summer afternoon or the feeling of a sunset or somewhere between. 3000-4000 are generally the most popular. With your colors I would probably head toward the 4000 range - It will keep your blue walls blue, but you really should test a few bulbs to see what you like.

The other thing you need to pick is the right CRI - color Rendering index. Many of the lights with built in bulbs seem to be offering lower CRIs. You want a CRI over 90.

• Marie
    Original Author
    last year

@Jennifer Hogan thank you! i knew about the 4000k but not CRI! the canned lights we got are LED and i think they have settings to change the Ks

• Marie
    Original Author
    last year

I tried the yellow and it was bad, so alabaster it is!

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

make sure your trim throughout is alabaster too

• wsea
    last year

We have SW netsuke in our main living area. its definately not fir everyone but we like it. Its a nice muted yellow in our house.