Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Want to weigh in on my new glasses?

Funkyart
last year

I will need at least 2 pairs of eyeglasses .. one pair has already been sent out for lenses. I won't tell you which pair yet ... but I will order the remaining glasses and the sunglasses once I've confirmed the prescription works well.

There were four pairs I loved.. which I narrowed down to 3. Photos in the next post.. let me know which you like best.

Comments (81)

• arkansas girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

I feel like the C glasses are masculine looking on you and to be honest, the pink ones are a big NO for me! I do not like those at all. I know everyone has different tastes though, so whatever you like, go for it! :) OH and another thing, they need to be comfortable on your face and the way you see though them. I have the ugliest pair of reading glasses, like old lady glasses from the 80s but they are huge and I like to use them for computer use because I feel I have a lot larger area that I can see.

Funkyart thanked arkansas girl
  • maddie260
    last year

Have you tried a more rounded pair?

Funkyart thanked maddie260
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, Maddie260 .. I have tried all shapes at some point in my lifetime of wearing glasses lol. I had a pair of rounder (but still oval) wire rims back in the late 80s/early 90s... but the oval shapes above seem to work best for both function and appearance.

The opinions and likes/dislikes/strong dislikes here are all over the place ... as noted, we all have different opinions! I am just surprised how strongly some seem to feel about them.

• The pink Tiffany frames have already been sent to the digital lab for lenses -- I know many strongly dislike them but they are a done deal. I am delighted by them because they fill the "fun readers" gap. The way I have them configured, they will work as both readers and for the computer.
    • The Blue Prada frames are also on order. It will take about 10 days for the frames to come in.. then I will send out for lenses (another 10-14 days) assuming the new prescription is good. Both the astigmatism and the prism curves changed so I won't order a second pair until I am sure the change is good. (no change in nearsighted/farsighted). I can likely still swap to the Pink version of the Prada frames if I call on Monday... I do like them but i think the pink disappears on my ruddy complexion face.
    • I will pass on the black versace for a few reasons-- 1. I don't love the gold on the side, 2. I would prefer a dark havana tortoise shell for fall/winter (though I don't hate black frames), and 3. They are the lowest quality frames of the bunch. I have had great experience with versace sunglasses but not great experience with versace eyeglasses. I should have no problem finding a modified cateye tortoise shell .. they didn't have one in stock I liked but they get new frames ALL the time. They order only a few of each style but bring in new styles every week.

Thank you all for sharing your honest opinions.

As noted, I will remove these photos tomorrow. I look terrible and don't want these photos floating out there lol.. a humid, windy day wiped my hair out.. and the shop lighting didn't do much for the color.

• Eileen
    last year

I would switch to the pink Pradas. They definitely don't disappear. There's plenty of black in them, and then there are your dark brows. The pink softens your face, and as we age, we can take on a stern look. Take it from me--I have marionette lines developing that make me look sad. I think the pink complements your pale lip color too.

I too hate gold sides or any fussiness on the earpiece. It's very aging imo.

Funkyart thanked Eileen
  • Jilly
    last year

You absolutely do not look terrible! I understand not wanting to leave personal pics up, I’m that way, too … but woman, you are beautiful and if eyebrows are a thing that could be stolen, I’d steal yours so fast. 😁

Funkyart thanked Jilly
  • localeater
    last year

Hi Funky, I am weighing in late. I am a fulltime glasses wearer since middle school, and as you know we basically have the same job, so I can relate to your glasses quest. I TOTALLY identify with 'fun readers envy.' Oh the thrill of being able to pick up a couple of pairs of fun readers, but no, I have a prescription that costs a minimum of $400 to fill.

My current 'most of the time' glasses are very similar to the blue prada, mine are turquoise tortoise MIchael Kors(I lean toward rectangular shape). The patches of turquoise are super fun, and I love them, but on camera they arent discernable. My other main pair is a white tortoise and I love the way the lighter color works.

I think you will love the pink TIffany frames. I might push you to the pink Pradas as well. I did a big black frame once and I loved them for a while, but now I look at pictures of myself in them and wonder what I was thinking, so there's that. :)

Whatever you do, you'll look great, 'cause your smile lights up the world.

Funkyart thanked localeater
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I like the Blue Prada. The pink are less noticeable, less statement-y. The TIffany pink spark joy!

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Funky, if you like the pink glasses, and they make you happy, that's all that matters!!! Wear them and enjoy!

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • bbstx
    last year

I LOVE the pink Tiffany glasses. I tried on some ”pink crystal” when I was at WP. I think they may have been these.

They just didn’t work for me. But your opaque pink looks fun!

Love the Prada blue much better than the Prada pink…and I’m a ”pink” girl. Don’t second guess yourself.

You are giving me FOMO with the black frames. Those are so stylish! I’m wondering if I need to buy an additional pair of glasses in black. I wear a lot of black.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Aww so nice to wake up to such sweet comments Jilly and Local! But Eileen is right .. in addition to having the wind mess up what started out as a good hair day lol ... I am becoming very aware of the signs of aging and the aftereffects of losing weight. I always had a "stern look" and my eyebrows-- they came with the chromosomes lol.

I had gone into this search expecting to get a dark havana tortoise with some kind of pop of something ... and a blonde tortoise. I took quite a detour! I think I will continue to look for a blonde tortoise -- perhaps to replace the blue prada? Won't be sure until I find them. I have tried them over the years but the size or shape was never right. Also, the tricky thing about blonde tortoise is that every pair looks different.. I have a pair of Emilio Pucci glasses that are dark tortoise on the outside and ivory tortoise on the inside. The pair I initially chose were perfect-- loved them. But they were cracked under the lens and the replacement was just not so cool. Anyhow, I will still try to find one..

@

@localeater yes-- you get me! LOL. I am a *little* concerned about the Pink Tiffany on camera but not too much. I can swap out for video calls if I don't like how they look on camera... and after another week or two (I am onboarding 10 new staff right now). I will drop down to just 1-2 video calls a day. Also, I think there is an "east coast" style for glasses that may not translate to those in other regions of the country.

My lenses run between $900 for computer glasses and $1200 for "walk around" lenses. I will not complain about the price because I've gone through the more standard and cheaper lenses. I know the value of the speciality lenses for my eyes and vision issues. If I am going to spend that much for each pair, I want to love them ... and I want them to be distinctive. If it made sense, I would reuse my original Tiffany frames with the Tiffany blue stems -- but I've had them for almost 8 yr now and the plastic is drying out. :(

Thank you all.. again, I appreciate the honest opinions!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry Bbstx I didn't see your post until I posted mine..

You are so right re: pink-- the translucent pinks look terrible on me-- this opaque pink was a game changer! Also it is the "right" pink .. if it were any more bubblegum pink, I'd pass.

I DO like black frames but I generally prefer a dark havana tortoise which will read *almost* black. I'll find something between now and Oct, I am sure ... but big warning on Versace eyeglasses. The quality is just not there. I love their sunglasses and the quality-- I just forgot while I was trying on eyeglasses. That said, I did comment that they were the least well made (the Tiffany are by far the best made of the bunch).

I really am second guessing the blue tortoise Pradas ... i do NOT like colored tortoise normally. I like a rich havana. I think the blue may be more obvious in the product photos, i don't know. My sister literally told me not to shop for anything else when she saw the photos on me though. I sort of trust her lol.

• Ida Claire
    last year

Late to weigh in, but I love that you ordered the Prada blue. They look wonderful on you!

Choosing frames is always such a chore for me, and I tend to fall back on the familiar tortoise shell that I'm used to wearing. Your post makes me want to expand my horizons a bit more!

Funkyart thanked Ida Claire
  • Eileen
    last year

The blonde tortoise are really pretty!

I had black frames and went in for a lighter colored frame a few years ago. Only one style of frame looks good on my face and everyone liked the blue ones the best. I didn't want to go that dark but it was better than black. I think blue frames look best on blondes. They do seem to go with most colors of tops, like jeans do. Black frames do look good with blue eyes though. They make the blue pop, like wearing black eyeliner.

Even though they are thinner than the Prada, they do seem heavy because of the size and color.

Funkyart thanked Eileen
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

it's so funny because other than blue jeans, I am not usually a blue girl ... but I also just recently bought a blue linen top and a blue watch. My eyes are hazel they sometimes go to a steely blue but most usually lean green. I went to a fancy eyewear boutique many years ago-- the kind where you don't select what you want to try on, rather they bring selections to you-- and they told me dark purple was best to showcase my eyes.

I really love blonde tortoise -- most of my hair clips and barrettes are machete or similar blonde tortoise.

ETA I don't consider Tiffany Blue a true blue-- i do wear aqua/tiffany blue, just not "true blue".

• party_music50
    last year

I usually refrain from things like this, but I need to defend: you are totally the Tiffany pink. I saw the original pics and they made your face light up!

Funkyart thanked party_music50
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, @party_music50 .. it helped that I was getting such positive feedback from the people around me in the store too. Their faces lit up too.

Eileen mentioned that the pink works well with my pale lip color. Going back to a previous thread about lip color-- I have tried wearing some darker colors but the lighter colors seem more "me". In the photo and most days lately, I am not even wearing lipstick .. it's burts bees moisturizing lip shimmer in champagne .... about $5 lol!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Just a quick update .. we are still working through getting the prescription and zones right. I have a second prescription and we're sending another pair out to the lab... it's all frustrating but it is normal for me and I need to remember that it will be worth it in the end. Thankfully all the folks I am working with are patient and 100% committed to getting it right!

but in the meantime, I have the pink pair -- the prescription need to be changed but they are working great for distance for now.. Mom, sister and niece love them! I thought they would be the least popular (they were here lol) but they were definitely a hit with family ... including those who do not always understand or embrace my funkiness.

We're holding the blue pradas until we confirm the newest prescription is good. They are still the most popular for everyday. I may have also chosen the dark tortoise pair but I am holding out to see what comes into the shop in the coming months.

The real news is that apparently pink wasn't funky enough for me .. I have selected a NEW pair for computer work. I knowwww that many of you won't like them. My always sweet and supportive niece#4 is trying so very hard to be nice and polite but I can tell she really doesn't like them lol (she wasn't with me when I ordered them). I love how quirky they are and I think they will be fun when I have to work a 14 hr day! (and just in case you're worried, I have others i can wear on vid calls if I don't feel like letting my funky flag fly)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    11 months ago

Sorry Funky, I don't think they are that funky, they are cute and quite fashionable! I don't feel anyone would think that those were too crazy to wear to meetings. My prescription is too bad to wear a lens that big. It's a pain when I select new frames.

Funkyart thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you, Rnmom! I used to be all tortoise all the time but something has come over me!

I actually like smaller lenses but I can't wear them because of my big ol' tomato head! Sorry you don't have as many options though! Is it because of the lens thickness that you can't wear larger lenses?

• 1929Spanish-GW
    11 months ago

I love the latest pair! Great choice.

Funkyart thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • maire_cate
    11 months ago

I think they're fantastic and they good on you too.

Funkyart thanked maire_cate
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you, Spanish and Maire! I love them but I was definitely questioning myself when Niece#4 wasn't enthusiastic (at all).

In fairness, she thought I was switching out one of her favorites to get them-- but I'm not. These are just an added fun bonus.

• dedtired
    11 months ago

I like them very much. Wish i had the courage for funky frames.

Funkyart thanked dedtired
  • bbstx
    11 months ago

Because of this thread, I had the gumption to buy some quirky frames. Thanks, Funky!

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@dedtired- I don't have a clear memory of the style, but I have a clear memory that I really liked your glasses! Are they a bold tortoise? (That's what I was looking for when I found these).

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I love them, Bbstx .. when we all meet up, we'll need to take glasses photos instead of shoe photos!

• bbstx
    11 months ago

HAHAHA! My glasses are definitely cuter than my shoes!

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Irish2
    11 months ago

Count me as one who thinks these look great on you and I like them very much! Good pick.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ignore the too big jeans and the loose cuff.. I was a hot mess today..

but my shoes were cute as I left the eyeglass shop!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    11 months ago

@Funkyart Yes my lenses would be the basic coke bottle lenses. I just had a thought--kids now won't have any idea what that saying means. Poor things!

Funkyart thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Feathers11
    11 months ago

They look great on you! I'm also glad the original pink ones are working out. Those are my favorite. I usually wear contact lenses, and my back-up glasses are a rather translucent and don't stand out on my face. You have me inspired to be more bold and *funky* with my next pair.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

aww sorry to hear. I am slightly nearsighted but not so much to make a difference next to my astigmatism. Mine are thicker at the outer corners but I don't think all that noticeable.

• salonva
    11 months ago

Actually, I really like the new glasses on you. I also love your shoes and laces. Way cool, fashionista Funky!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

LOL so not a fashionista. I had a meeting run long so I rushed to get out of the house in time. I was in a tshirt and jeans that didn't fit well. I figured what better time for frilly sneaks. ;)

Thank you, Salonva and Feathers ❤️ I like the colors .. and they are all colors I wear.

Feathers, sure! Have fun with them. I do like translucent glasses but they don't do a thing for me. I guess after all my struggles with my eyes, I want to wear my glasses proudly and boldly.

I really hadnt planned for an extra pair... but these last few weeks have been tough. Multiple visits to the eye dr.. and the eyeglass shop trying to describe the issues I was having was stressful. When I can't see, I get very anxious .. and when I am anxious my analytical skills vaporize. I can't communicate well... and they can't see what I do. I found these frames after we'd just landed on what I *think* is going to address all my problems. Finding such fun glasses felt like a little gift or reward after all the stress and work! They had literally just come in the day before... and there was only the one pair. They felt like they were made just for me (this line is handmade.. so in a way, I guess they were.)

I still need a pair of traditional havana tortoise-- but that will come.

• maire_cate
    11 months ago

Of course they were meant for you, especially after all you've been through with your vision issues.

So far I've been fortunate that I only need readers. I pick them up at the drugstore - they're so basic and utilitarian but I do have a few tortoiseshell.

Funkyart thanked maire_cate
  • party_music50
    11 months ago

Your family knows you best and I totally LOVE the new glasses!!!

• Tina Marie
    11 months ago

They look great Funky!!

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • teeda
    11 months ago

Love the glasses and the sneakers! Good choices!

Funkyart thanked teeda
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks all.. I am not second guessing as much today. LOL

This was only the second time I wore the floral sneakers. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought them lol-- they're really not my style. I wore them on mother's day.. and they were perfect for that. I wore them out yesterday because they were at the door and i was in a rush. They'll likely go back in the closet until next mother's day... or until I become an 8 yo again 😂

• bbstx
    11 months ago

I like your floral sneaks. Don’t put them away, please! They are too cute to be buried in the closet until the soles dry rot!

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • teeda
    11 months ago

"or until I become an 8 yo again"

Yes! All the more reason to keep them at the front of the closet. Wear them on days you would like to be 8 years old again. In fact, I think I'm going to go out and get myself a similar pair just for that purpose!

Funkyart thanked teeda
  • OutsidePlaying
    11 months ago

I LOVE the newest frames, Funky! I don’t think they are too far out-there anyway. Just enough multi-colors to be a little fun and carries the tortoise theme without being boring. Sorry i missed this news yesterday. And your flowered shoes are great!

I’ve gravitated to tortoise for years for my prescription readers, and only recently been branching out to other colors. I’m due for an exam in a few weeks and am definitely going for something with a little more color if I can find them.

Bbstx, yours are really cute too!

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

LOL Teeda!

I am just not a patterned sneaker gal... and i don't need to draw attention to my size 10 foot!

I tend to keep shoes simple.. my favs go in and out of favor but lately it's been white slip on sneakers.

I still love my Tiffany tortoise, Outside. I also gravitated to tortoise.. but the blue was just enough fun (and good for my coloring). They were the perfect balance. Every visit I say, "are you suuuuure I can't get one more run out of these??" but really, they need to be retired. The Tiffany blue is faded and the plastic is getting old.

• party_music50
    11 months ago

I would change the laces in the patterned sneakers! For me, they would look, feel, and function better with ordinary white cotton type laces. :)

• Ida Claire
    11 months ago

I love your new glasses and think they look fantastic on you! They're definitely not "too" anything. Not too outlandish or too colorful, just a style that shows you have a strong sense of creativity and fun! The sneakers are adorable too. I would not change the laces, as they just add to the happy look. If I saw you out in public wearing those things, my immediate thought would be that you look like a person I would be interested in knowing more about. Let your Funky flag fly with joyful abandon!

Funkyart thanked Ida Claire
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks, Ida .. i agree on the laces. I just wouldn't wear them without the laces. It's what gives them interest. They actually keep them surprisingly secure to my foot.

I usually don't fret letting my style show -- though I do need to be just a little restrained at work (though that has loosened since WFH) I think I'd be less unsure if I had already selected my tortoise shell frames.. I know I will get them but I haven't yet found "the one". I now have two funky pairs .. an in between frame .. but no brown tortoise frames.

I did order them so clearly I like them. Remember, my glasses are $1k+ so I usually take time and am very careful about my selections for the various use glasses (computer, mid-range in the house, outside/walking around)... but this pair, I knew as soon as I put them on that I would buy them. I didn't wait for feedback from family/friends. I sent photos after I'd ordered them ... or maybe I knew what they'd say so I ordered them before they could weigh in.

• Ida Claire
    11 months ago

Re work - Last year I retired from a career where my last role was in a very buttoned-up corporate environment. Some may recall that I am heavily tattooed (and some here would look at me with disdain because of that, which makes it all the better 😉), so I covered up my ink daily and got quite used to not letting that aspect of myself show. When I chose to share with certain colleagues, they were invariably quite surprised, since I otherwise come across with a fairly conservative appearance.

Shortly after my retirement from that role, I took on another - also a corporate gig, but in a very progressive and accepting environment. When I was able to show "the real me" to colleagues, it was such a liberating and natural thing, that I decided I'd never again put myself in a position where I had to "tone it down". This is not intended to veer the topic towards body modification, but simply to say that I hope you feel encouraged and empowered to be who you are and present yourself in the way that you want to. You are uniquely beautiful, and others surely glean their own inspiration by seeing how comfortable you are in your own skin. 💖

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I get what you are saying, Ida ... and am glad you are working in an environment where you feel more free to be yourself.

I have a slightly different take .. I don't want to give my peers, colleagues or clients a full view into my personal world. A peek-- sure. I mean, they already have a pretty clear picture of my personality and quirks.. but when I took on a career as a consultant, I accepted that there are times when I need to conform to my client's world. I think most people in the business world accept the same. I mean, I wouldn't consider going into the office in my comfy yoga pants and an oversized neon green sweatshirt ... but I would definitely wear them at home. Same as I wouldn't show up to a wedding wearing the same.

I think where i am straddling the fence.. what is giving me caution is that I frequently have one on one video calls (as well as group meeting) ... or I am in a cideo call where only *I* am on camera (gah). While I like to express myself .. I don't like being the center of attention. I don't like folks looking at every detail on my face (or in my background for that matter). That is the scenario where I may not feel as comfortable wearing my funky glasses .. I don't know yet. I think I need to feel it out as I go.

But I don't think it is out of FEAR or feeling a need to restrain myself .. it's partially respect for my role/the company and partially a desire to keep some of life private. I think. Conformity and confidence and self-consciousness are tricky things and not always clear when we're looking inside ourselves .. but I think I am pretty self aware and comfortable in those ways.

Still.. its an interesting point and valuable discussion! Thanks!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Back at you, Ida❤️ 😘