Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidhimarks

Help needed with laundry room layout/ update

V Marks
11 months ago

We have our laundry room on the main floor, wtih a side exit to the backyard as well as an entry from the garage. We are in the process of upgrading it and the floor is new and so is the paint. I would like for the space to work as a laundry and mud room. Please help out with ideas and suggestions for the layout to make the most of this narrow space. The space is about 6 feet wide and 13 feet long. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

You can barely open door to pass the W/D. Use the hooks you have on the wall. Add art. Don't keep shoes on the floor : ) Go to Home Depot or similar and hang cupboards on washer wall....... and add a rod over sink for drip dry. Put down a colorful walk off runner.

• Rachel Lee
    11 months ago

I would invest in a new cabinet that does not come out past the wall, and I’d think about stacking the washer and dryer. Other than that, there isn’t the width to do anything else.

• L.D. Johnson
    11 months ago

More information about your situation would help. Do you have several kids who go in and out of the backyard door frequently to play? Or do you primarily use the entry from the garage? Do your laundry supplies all fit in that sink cabinet? What do you want to keep accessible in that room - ironing board, dog walking supplies, a drop zone, ??? IMO, make a list of everything you WANT, and then rank what you NEED.

Stacking the washer/dryer would allow space for some narrow vertical cubby/hook storage by the backyard door including space for a limited number of shoes. But that would decrease space for upper cabinets to add storage.- and might not help much if you rarely use that door.

My daughter has a similar space, and added a long high shelf with room to walk under it on the aisle side of the room. Attractive baskets/bins can store less needed supplies up high, if you are willing to use a stool to get at them.

Would a tall niche between the studs on the near end of the long wall provide useful storage close to the garage? You see those as storage solutions in small bathrooms. It wouldn't interfere with your door swing, but would have to be limited width and depth. That might be worth exploring if you need a drop zone or storage for smaller items but consider that wiring or plumbing in the wall might not allow for it.

Good luck!

• Mrs Pete
    11 months ago

For starters, what are your goals for a mudroom? Stop and make a list of the things you specifically need the room to do. Do you need a place for kids' backpacks? A spot to sort mail? Do you need to include recyling in this room? If you think through what you need the room to do, you'll end up with a better end product.

Specific things I'd do:

- The floor looks cold and slick. I'd get a good floormat with a no-skid bottom side ... make it something colorful. Choose something long enough that people will have to walk a few steps on it as they come in, as this will knock off a bunch of their "outside dirt".

- I'd paint the door a bright, happy color ... something to tie into the floor mat.

- Add a patterned curtain to the door ... again, to tie into the door and floor mat's color.

- I'd like to see a simple white shelf installed above the hooks. I'd place artwork above this, and I'd add a few plants (perhaps fake because they aren't going to get super-good care in the mudroom) as well as things you'd want going in and out the door ... maybe a basket for mail and a basket for a hairbrush, etc.

- You need a trash can somewhere ... a pretty good sized one. Something for fast food drink cups, junk mail, and dryer lint. Maybe under the sink? A trash can you can't see isn't ideal.

- I assume the washer/dryer work well, and you're not open to replacing them ... but when it's time, choose something smaller; this isn't easy ... I bought a new set 2-3 years ago, and they're all so big now! This space is not huge, and it looks like the door can barely open ... once you hang coats on these hooks, the walking aisle will feel small.

- You want to use this as a mudroom, but you have no drop space. You could add some shelves above the sink ... then add a basket for each family member.

- Are you attached to the sink? Personally, I've never had any desire for a laundry sink ... had one growing up, and it was literally used once or twice a year to thaw turkeys. If you were to ditch the sink, you could add a floor-to-ceiling linen tower, which would give you oodles of storage.

- If you want to keep the sink, could you do without that door on the left? Could you place a freestanding piece of furniture in that spot /covering that door? This could be your space for totes and shoes.

- You need something above the washer/dryer ... I'd go with a closed cabinet for storing laundry needs + a hanging-dry pole.

- I'd add a clock above the door because people coming /going always seem to need to know the time.

- Last thought: from a design perspetive, you need to add color, pattern, something organic and a couple plants. These things will take away the cold feeling the room has now.

• PRO
    Joy Street Design
    6 months ago

Since you have height, we might suggest using it. Perhaps look at stacking the washer and dryer and adding cabinets all along the wall or a bench and cabinets once the washer and dryer are stacked. Also you can use color and artwork to liven up your space some:

Gower Street: Laundry · More Info

Greenwood Avenue · More Info