Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccraig07

Need help picking backsplash

ccraig07
10 years ago
Hi everyone, we are just finishing our kitchen and would love some suggestions on what kind/colour of backsplash to choose. We were thinking of some sort of subway tile with the entire hood range area to be all stainless steel. Thoughts? The kitchen walls are going to be painted light gray (see 2nd pic)

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Here is another idea with a contemporary twist.

Crisp Architects · More Info
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10 years ago
    I think our pearl or diamond subway tile would look gorgeous in this kitchen. You can see them here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Julia Whalen
    10 years ago
    white glass or regular subway tile would be timeless and chic.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I like dytecture's backsplash
  • Rebecca
    10 years ago
    What about brushed stainless subway tile? Might be a nice contrast.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I would go solid black subway with gray grout. Keep it simple.
  • chouine24
    10 years ago
    Charcoal subway tile or a mixed mosaic with black/ white and stainless.
  • PRO
    MEC
    10 years ago
    why don't you go for a mosaic back splash. Trust me, it looks amazing with the type of kitchen you have.
  • ballardrhonda
    10 years ago
    Grey Subway tiles...
  • PRO
    The Nielsen Collection
    10 years ago
    Remove the plugs and switches first. Add plug mold strips under cabinets and air switches to turn on garbage disposal and task lighting. Then apply your chosen backsplash. You will hate interrupting your beautiful backsplash with ugly switches/plugs. Check out Daltile Metallica Venetian Nickel
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    What a gorgeous kitchen! I love your idea of a solid stainless steel backsplash for the stove area. For the tile, I'm thinking either a white glass subway tile with white grout that looks almost groutless, or a white glass subway tile with a light gray grout to complement the stainless steel, chrome and island. Either one would look super-duper. :)
    San Francisco Kitchen & Bath · More Info

Cedar Lake Renovation · More Info
  • Lynn Cesard
    10 years ago
    White subway tile with medium gray grout. I used it to tie together the contrast of my white cabinets and black countertops, and I am very pleased. Btw, my surrounding walls are painted a khaki color.
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    I think white hexagon carrera would look good since the stone mimics the stone of your countertop http://www.glasstilestore.com/florentine-white-carrera-with-light-bardiglio-line.html
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What a gorgeous kitchen. Here's one that would look great in your space. You want something that will compliment and blend without overpowering the rest of the kitchen. Subtle and elegant.
  • PRO
    Showcase Kitchens
    10 years ago
    Much of the decision would rely on your taste. You have some nice, stronger looks via the other pros' suggestions. Allow us to add a more subtle backsplash treatment to the mix. See the attached photo with a hint of color via the primarily white tile - in a white kitchen also with a darker center island.
  • Lisa
    10 years ago
    Is your island black or brown?
  • PRO
    Annalise Bubes
    10 years ago
    What a gorgeous kitchen I like your idea of a subway tile for your backsplash. Have you considered adding a light color to the room? Here is an idea of a pale teal ceramic, subway tile backsplash that compliments the white cabinets and dark island well!
    San Jose Res 2 · More Info
  • ccraig07
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Icskaisgir - our island is dark brown :)
  • Dayle Purcell
    10 years ago
    Or a coloured glass splash back
  • Lisa
    10 years ago
    We are redoing our kitchen right now and are doing white perimeter cabinets w/a dark island also. The counters will either be calacatta quartzite (which looks like marble) or the same as yours. Your kitchen is definitely the look I'm going for so that's why I asked what color your island is. I was thinking something like this glass crackle tile in the picture to add some warmth or some sort of marble tile.
    [houzz=
    Lake Minnetonka Tailored White Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Inspiration pic
    Note the tiles and border over the stove and bricks on either sides.
    Interesting combination
    Parkwood Road Residence Kitchen · More Info
  • DMarie
    10 years ago
    The kitchen is beautiful. Well done. Here is a subway backsplash done in herringbone under the hood. Just another inspiration photo.
  • Lisa
    10 years ago
    What is your stone...superwhite granite?
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    WIth this color of your kitchen, a very simple and fresh looking grey backsplash could work perfectly. It would allow the room to stay bright and clean looking with a little bit of color. A gray/black backsplash would bring out the color of the countertops and bring the entire kitchen together. Let us know if we could be any more help to you!
  • PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    10 years ago
    How about a nice blue/grey tile to bring some color into the kitchen and blend well with the grey walls?
  • ccraig07
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Icakaisgir - yep! Super white.
  • Gretchen
    10 years ago
    Brushed stainless subway tile n
  • kevindeonarine
    10 years ago
    What did you decide? I'd love to see the finished product.
  • PRO
    The Nielsen Collection
    8 years ago
    Porcelanosa USA has a beautiful metal subway tile that has a darker finish almost like a titanium finish. It has a beveled edge and is fresh and unique. Check it out
  • droosth
    8 years ago

Congratulations on your beautiful new kitchen! I do like the idea of subway tile but have you considered adding a different texture such as brick? There are plenty of colors that would go with the gray and white color scheme you've chosen. Brick adds a timeless warmth and once it's sealed, it's very easy to keep clean.