Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Help me alter this dress to make it more wearable

Funkyart
11 months ago

Sorry, I know I am posting a lot today .. I am doing some mindless but necessary work so I keep taking breaks (too many breaks) to purge the things hanging out on the top of my mind.

I purchased this dress a few months ago .. and much as I love it, I won't wear it outside the home. I am thinking that if I add straps, I'd wear it at the pool or for casual cookouts, etc

What would you use for straps? plain old denim straps? A scarf or bandana? some kind of interesting trim-- colorful, striped, boho?

I'd like to go in the direction of bandana or scarf but not sure if that's dumb lol?

Comments (44)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    11 months ago

I love the dress, but have limited sewing related creativity. I would fasten ribbons that tie on top to eliminate fussing with strap length.

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • sheesh
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Zalco has a great idea. Easy, too, and that will allow you to accessorize if you choose. I suggest one inch wide grosgrain in a denimish blue.

Funkyart thanked sheesh
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

That would certainly be easiest .. Thank you!

But do you think tie top straps aren't too-too something on an older woman?

• DLM2000-GW
    11 months ago

Great idea Zalco. Funky you can make it so the tie is at the back of the dress, that way you don't have a bow sitting on top of your shoulders. I'd also consider a less foufou fastening, maybe a simple square knot? Cute dress!

• eld6161
    11 months ago

Personally, keep using it as you been. I think you have enough in your wardrobe for the outside world.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I am asking because I want to be able to wear this to the pool... and no, I have very little to be worn when sitting in the sun. I do not plan to purchase shorts or skorts until I am closer to my weight.. and I don't have any sundresses ... or even lightweight pants (and again, I will not be buying until I lose more weight).

So let's assume I want to wear this outside by the pool... if it isn't too dumb. If you think it's dumb, please weigh in and say so!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    11 months ago

How does it fit? Could you steal some fabric from the side seams? I'm thinking of making the seam 1 inch wider and trimming them. Then that gives you matching fabric to make straps out of and it looks more intentional.

• Oakley
    11 months ago

What about a small sarong to wrap around the shoulders then take it off to lay in the sun? Will you do the straps yourself or send it to a seamstress?

They're easy to make and videos are out there for doing it the easy way, and how to measure. Look at the straps on this dress, a solid color strap would be cute on your dress.

Straps

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I thought of that-- but the current seams are double stitched then trimmed tight. I'd need to take 2" off down the sides at the least.. and that would still be pretty slim straps. I think removing 2" from each side will change the way it flows. I have room but I like the room.

It's not an unusual color denim so I should be able to get a close match if you think they should match.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Sorry, Eld.. i sounded snippy.

I have lost 70 lb and since I have more to go, I am not replacing my whole wardrobe. Yes, I have bought a few tops and dresses for work and travel because the old ones look sloppy .. and because I like pretty new things. MOST of what I have purchased though has been returned.. so there's that.

I often spend one day a week at my sister's pool... hanging with her and/or my mom. I am looking for something other than tshirts to wear in the sun.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Oakley, almost missed your post. I will make the straps myself .. the question is whether to just do basic straps, ribbons as Zalco suggested or something more boho.

I am not looking to layout -- though I would/could in the dress. I am looking for something easy and light to wear while sitting in the sun, chatting, etc.. or while having a meal al fresco.

This is what had me thinking more boho .. not at all the same dress but i like the mix of a light cotton with the tapestry. I wouldn't do tapestry.. but I'd do a scarf print.

• eld6161
    11 months ago

Funky, I just assumed you had something because of your clothing posts!

So now my question is, why not wear it as is since it's to a pool gathering. It seems perfectly acceptable for that purpose.

• nicole___
    11 months ago

I'd go for THIS look. The ties are not too thin...adjustable....perfection! ❤️Use matching fabric or contrast....

• party_music50
    11 months ago

If you want easy, I'd go with a matching blue grosgrain ribbon in whatever width appeals most to you as a strap width. Once you have some ribbon you can decide how you'd like to mount it. You can go with one fixed (behind the neck) or two fixed (over the shoulder) straps, or one or two similar with loose ends that you can tie into bows. Check how each option would work by attaching the ribbon to the dress with safety pins. Or use straight pins if you like to live dangerously. ;^) If the ribbon seems a little thin or insubstantial, simply double it. That is a great dress for you! And holy cow, congratulations on such a huge weight loss!!!!!

https://www.joann.com/search?q=blue+grosgrain+ribbon&lang=default

• bbstx
    11 months ago

How’s the length? Could you shorten it enough to get strap fabric? Instead of doubling the fabric, back it in a coordinating print. You will only lose about 1/4” in strap width. I’m afraid using a different fabric as the total strap is going to make it look tacked on.

Or, how about a no sew option.

https://www.bellalingerie.shop/products/draping-back-dress-straps-tier-crystal-no-sew-pin-straps jk

• jojoco
    11 months ago

Could you first add a band around the top so that the straps don’t pull the top out of shape? (will the straps do any supporting or just a loosely tied accent?)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

hmm good point about straps pulling the top out of shape. I don't need the straps for support -- but maybe as an emergency line in case I trip or kneel on it or something... still, they could pull.

Because the top is basically a very stretchy tube top, I think adding a band on the top would be tricky. Probably more than I'd want to take on .. but now I am worried about stretching it out.

Bbstx .. the bottom is white/very faded denim. It would still look mismatched if I connect fabric from the bottom as a strap.

I did find a scarf in my closet that I think will work well as either as a halter tie or straps. I'll take a photo when the sun is out to see what you all think. It is linen scarf in a watercolor-like range of blues and a pale yellow... hard to describe but not a distinct pattern. If you think it's a fail, I'll give up the idea :)

Thanks all!

Oops, sorry, @eld6161 .. I don't expect you to follow each post but I have returned far more than I have kept. My shape has changed and my styles have changed, sizes are not consistent and honestly, I have just not been pleased with the quality of all I have received.

I'd prefer straps vs completely open top .. sometimes there are young kids around, sometimes people I don't know all that well... and honestly, I don't think a tube top is appropriate in public for a 60yo woman. At least not this overweight 60 yo woman.

• maddielee
    11 months ago

I’m here to help and say keep your cute dress as it is, wear it and have fun.

Lands End knit dresses are the perfect dress for your needs. I have many, every length and color.

• bbstx
    11 months ago

I have that Lands’ End maxi in solid navy and I love love love it!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I havent found many styles or patterns that drew me in at LE .. what makes you love, love, love them Bbstx and Maddielee?

I can shop for sundresses .. but what stands out about the LE dresses?

• bbstx
    11 months ago

Pros on the LE dress

• nice weight cotton knit
    • washes up well
    • POCKETS
    • good price point (watch for sales - currently $29.97)

Con

• large-ish armholes but not a deal breaker
    Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • maddielee
    11 months ago

I ditto what bbstx wrote. They wash beautifully, I hang most all my laundry while slightly damp.

Most of mine are solids, a few have stripes. I don’t do prints, but have a black one with white dots.

They’re an easy, comfortable option.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

OK.. I get you that I should look for something else. I am not sure the LE dress is for me though.

Here's one I wore A LOT last year... and will again this year but want a few more options. I think everyone is tired of seeing it lol.

I have this one also and I do love it.. but it will look better when I tone up my tummy/lose more weight. I do prefer to cover my knees also .. but this is too stinkin cute.

• amykath
    11 months ago

I love your dress. I completely understand not wanting to buy clothes when you know your weight and shape will be chaning and yes sizes vary so greatly!

I like your ideas and love the photo of what you are wanting to achieve. I wonder if you could find some kind of cute suspenders and alter them and even add some fabric that you like over them and then voila... super cute straps! They have loads of them on the big A for little money. You would not really even have to sow except maybe by hand and then use some fabric glue on the fabric that would cover them. Or you might just find some that you like as they are without having to do that.

That or you could just throw that pretty fabric you posted (last photo) over your arms if you want to have some form of cover that you can also remove if you wanted to.

Huge kudos to you for your weight loss. That is such a an accomplishment and certainly not easy. My best friend has lost 100 pounds over the last few years and wants to loose 50 or so more. I am so proud of her... such willpower!!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks, Amy.. you are a sweetie! I so appreciate the encouragement. I am proud of my progress but shopping and trying to cobble together outfits just reminds me I have a ways to go.

The dress I shared above with the overall top was just to show the unexpected pairing of fabrics. I wasn't thinking of adding suspenders or such severe straps. More like a halter top tied behind the neck or two thinnish straps.

I am looking for alternatives now.. dresses that are casual, cool and/or breezy, past the knee and without cutouts at the waist. I ordered one so far .. ordered up a size in this style because I'd want it to have lots of movement. Linen isn't my preference because of wrinkling but if it looks nice, I'll throw on a hat and forget the wrinkles!

• amykath
    11 months ago

Funky, love that one! Linen is so comfy and I hope you love it!

Funkyart thanked amykath
  • Irish2
    11 months ago

Just checking in now …love the blue linen 🤞🏻

Congratulations too on your weight loss!

Funkyart thanked Irish2
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Because i said i would, here is the scarf with the dress. obviously id cut it down to make straps or a halter. in the light of day, not the best match. i heard the feedback to look for other options … and ive ordered a few more to try

Sorry for crappy photo and messed up bed — im rushing a bit

• Fori
    11 months ago

I like those together. Depending on your level of bustiness and the length of the scarf, you could almost maybe kinda sew a good length of it (folded to maybe 3" in width) across the front of the top edge and halter tie it.

Funkyart thanked Fori
  • amykath
    11 months ago

I lke those together! I think the colors suit each other well. I look forward to seeing what you choose and how it all looks together!

Funkyart thanked amykath
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks Fori and Amy! I am going to wait and see now that I ordered some sundresses that do not need altered lol. I ordered quite a few so hoping 1-2 of them will work out so I have options. It's not quite hot enough to need sleeveless yet so I have time to consider.

I may just install a loop or a ring on the inside so I have the option for a halter strap but can wear it without.

I am also going to try to find some EF linen crops on the secondhand market. I wore them a lot last summer -- but they are just a little too big to look cute now. I don't want to pay full price for a size I hope i size down from.. but secondhand or sale price, maybe!

• Fori
    11 months ago

A loop or ring is kinda brilliant.

Funkyart thanked Fori
  • bbstx
    11 months ago

Try EF Renew. I just bought a pair of pants from there. I paid $168 for the pair from the regular site. I liked them so much I bought a second pair from Renew for $55. You have to shop the EF Renew site frequently. Selection changes often.

• arkansas girl
    11 months ago

Couldn't you wear with it a cotton sleeveless button down the front type shirt and maybe tie it in a knot at the waist?

Kind of like this: tied cotton shirt

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Of course I could wear a button down over it .. but I am looking for things to wear in the hot, humid summer by the pool. I'd rather not add layers.

I'd probably wear the strapless look with my sister and nieces but I am less comfortable with BIL... or his brother.. or the young kids who are likely to crawl up on my lap or tug on my skirt. Heck, I could even step on or kneel on my skirt in a way to pull the top. Maybe I am being overly cautious but I just don't want to chance a wardrobe malfunction.

As noted above, I have ordered some other dresses. I really just need a few options.. a few cute and stylish looks for the hot sun.

Thanks!

• robo (z6a)
    11 months ago

Why do I see a contrasting strap combined with a little sash underneath the bust, kinda boho?

Funkyart thanked robo (z6a)
  • robo (z6a)
    11 months ago

Somehow I love the idea of the citron you posted.

Funkyart thanked robo (z6a)
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ah interesting, Robo.. I hadn't thought of that.

is this the one you mean by "citron"? I keep coming back to it myself. It's the closest to what I was envisioning in my head .. and I am pretty sure it's the right length. I just can't tell if there is enough blue in the pattern. I may give it a try.. i can always use as a hair scarf or tie belt if it doesn't work out.

• lyfia
    11 months ago

I like the idea of a strap, but I see you mention halter and that just doesn't seem to work in my mind with the top of that dress. It seems to lend itself to some loose straps that go over the shoulders and not around the neck as it seems like that would pull weirdly on the top of the dress. I like the scarf you showed, but depends on the look. It looks more custom, but not necessarily like it came with it. If you want it to look like it came with it then a matching denim fabric would work best, which may be harder, or just a white with a bluish hue.

Funkyart thanked lyfia
  • pricklypearcactus
    11 months ago

I'd probably do some kind of simple strap, perhaps one that ties at the back vs on the shoulder. Mostly because I simply cannot pull off anything frilly at the shoulder. For me the biggest question is whether you need to cover bra straps or if you'd wear with strapless and/or swimsuit underneath? I think the style lends itself to minimal (or no) straps, but if you need to cover bra straps, that's a whole other situation.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Good questions..

I would prefer something a little boho fun .. i.e. not matching the denim. I have note that most think it should match the denim and I may land there if I do alter the dress.. but i def lean boho fun for a poolside/patio/bbq kind of dress.

Prickly, I couldn't put my finger on WHY i didn't want ties at the shoulder .. but you made it clear to me. I am not comfortable with frilly in that location-- I already have broad shoulders and I am not currently friends with my neck. I would just rather not have something drawing attention there.

Lyfia I was open to a halter (not my favorite style) mainly because when I was a kid and tube tops were in style, they often had a halter top.. i.e. strings coming from the middle that tied behind the neck. If I did a halterish style I wouldn't have both straps from from the center .. but still, I get your point about straps working better than halter.

And no, no need for bra strap coverage. I would wear a strapless bra.

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions and feedback.

I wanted to adapt this dress in place of shopping for others .. but based on feedback and advice here, I did go shop for/order other dresses to try... if they work out, I may just leave the dress as is but wear a boho scarf in my hair :)

• amykath
    11 months ago

I agree with Robo. I love that bright fabric and the texure. I was also drawn to it amongst all of your choices you posted in your orinigal post. Love the bits of blue in it as well. Looks fun, unique and unexpected! That is one reason I like it.

Amy

Funkyart thanked amykath
  • pricklypearcactus
    11 months ago

I was picturing something like this where the straps are thin and tie at the back (rather than at the top of the shoulder). To me this feels less fussy than a bow at the top of the shoulder. But of course you'd have to find the right fabric. So maybe going with something fun like the one you've already found would be better.

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus