Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrislin4

Hickory wood vanity/cabinets with what wood door?

Chrislin
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

I am having a bathroom remodel being done and it all started so I can get a roll in shower but I went and picked out a Hickory cabinet.

Now I am trying to pick a door to go with the natural hickory but the builder said it is going to be $2000. I want the arch top and (planked) where the lines show.

I am going to remodel the rest of my home and love the hickory but wondering if I should U-Turn right now and go with something else like knotty alder?

I like rustic. I have everything oak now and it is that honey oak which I do not like. It is all solid but please give me your opinions because I am in over my head now and feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you kindly,

EDIT: I guess I just am asking what wood door goes with the hickory natural vanity and cabinet in bathroom.

We are going to do the whole house and right now it is all Oak and we want to go rustic. We are thinking natural wood or woods as long as rustic. At this point cost is not a worry. We are going to spend what saved since we are 'getting up there" in our ahem upper 50's.

Thanks all and hope I am doing this forum right.

Comments (18)

• Mrs Pete
    11 months ago

I think the money is going to that arched top, not the hickory wood.

My mom has an arched front door (exterior door), and I know when she replaced it (and the screen door) it cost a fortune. It's a lovely door though and sets a nice tone for the house.

• Chrislin
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Yeah he said the arch is almost $700 but that still seems high. I may be old times though because when we built our home the whole thing was less than $200k and now my bathroom alone is $40k.

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago

times have changed, you get what you pay for and yes, and all the rest.

Don't think of it as $$$ it's a one time purchase, you love it, and think in terms of price per use...

Will you love it, or Settle for something else and regret it?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

Depends the look of the house, how much rustic you want or not

The chances of the Hickory door MATCHING you vanity are nearly nil. Even custom.

What are all the rest of the doors in the new home. All to be hickory? Depends wishes vs budget and what you love and are willing to pay for. Everything will be more than whatever "before" was.

Change the shape, change the finish? And a primary bath at 40 k is totally average ....below actually. Personally, I don't think a 40k primary bath deserves a 2k door.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

I do not like hickory so I will not help there but I think to try and match the vanity is not going to happen , BTW posting pics of the vanity and the door would be helpful and I assume the doorway needed to be made wider for the the new shower access. IMO unless this is the price you want to pay for all the doors to be replaced i would stay with the same door yoou have in the rest of the house or change them all to match this one.

Chrislin thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Chrislin
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I couldn't post a picture yet because the vanity is not here yet and the cabinet and vanity will be hickory. The only reason we are backing away from hickory door also is that we are going to be remodeling the whole house and to change each door at at 2k in a 5 bedroom home is a lot.

I looked at knotty alder and am thinking of maybe doing that for the door then or is there a better choice of wood that would fair ok with hickory.

We will be doing hickory cabinets in the kitchen - as alder may be too soft so basically all I am needing is what wood goes with hickory?

I am clueless and it is hard to get out but I have gone 2 times now and pictures are hard to tell because it depends on lighting.

I am new to this site and not sure if there is a forum or place to find pictures of different woods together.

We are obviously wanting rustic and prefer not dark and we also like natural though we both do not like white anything.

I don't know, maybe we can mix all sorts of wood and that would look fine.

Am I supposed to be editing the original to explain in more detail?

I thank you all for your help.

• Mrs. S
    11 months ago

I think that if you're remodeling a bathroom, at this time you want to have all the doors in your home match each other. You already know that a commitment to a door for this bathroom could lead to an extraordinary expense down the road, and in the meantime, that hickory door isn't going to match anything.

I question whether your desire to have rustic doors is the best way to achieve "rustic-ness". I mean, hickory is rustic, but so is oak, pine, and many other wood-types.

I didn't see that you explained what your current interior doors look like, but I think that if your doors are, say, hollow-core white-painted, that you should choose a door that matches your other doors, and save your money for your future whole-house remodel. Decisions about changing all the doors should be made with your overall budget in mind down the road.

• User
    11 months ago

Foget doing a wood door with hickory anything . That is a big recipe for a clashing result. Do paint grade, that matches the rest of the house. As in why do you want to change the door in the first place? It seems to be an unneeded expense.

• Chrislin
    Original Author
    11 months ago

We are beginning a whole home remodel and we need a wider door as I am in a wheelchair now and so we want to go rustic.cabin feel. We like wood and not painted wood. Stained is OK but not dark . Just what we prefer. Sorry.

• Mrs. S
    11 months ago

I see your edit above where you seem to sort of indicate that money isn't an object. If that is what you mean, then I suggest you hire an interior designer to get some professional help with achieving an overall aesthetic and not throwing good money away to achieve unplanned results.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 months ago

^^ Mrs. S gives good advice above.

I'm in the camp that thinks that woods just sorta all go together, as long as you're in the ballpark of matching them tonally. There's nothing wrong with oak floors and a knotty alder door, for example -- but keep the tone of the natural wood or stain consistent. That said, hickory is BOSSY, so you do have to be careful with tying it in with everything else.

I have natural hickory kitchen cabinets and love them. I have red oak floors and reclaimed wood island and custom barn door and window trim, all stained Provencial. I doubt anyone walks into my house and thinks what is this world coming to SHE MIXED WOODS!!! But I was careful with my stain choice to tie it all together (I like dark wood, and I really like the contrast of the dark wood against the natural hickory cabinets).

• Chrislin
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you all! We have decided to go with Alder door for now at least since we need a bigger door anyway and we have solid oak- honey stained right now. Kinda funny- the better half said to me today- let;s just have a funny house! If we want doors all different so be it. Not sure if he means that but this is just the beginning- the bathroom and we have a whole huge home to do yet.

We prefer natural but love the woods and mixing is fine but I do understand how Hickory can be busy. I think I will do as suggested and hire an interior decorator after this bath is done.

I appreciate your help. I will be at ease with a "funny" house at least until we build upon it room by room -with the help of professional decorator.

<3

• rwiegand
    11 months ago

We have a bunch of different antique doorknobs in our house. The skies have not opened and we have not been struck down for our heresy! Go for it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

Quirky and eclectic is great. A veritable "fun house" may be less so. Get the designer, balance fun, funny with unity and calm. ....: )

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

If the vanity is wood then why not use doors that are painted?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

" We hate Painted finishes" "We like wood and rustic"..........

• Chrislin
    Original Author
    11 months ago

The top door with the arch we have now just told them alder- the arch- he is here now and we were just discussing it! Thanks! We are going to go natural or maybe a light tint- not sure yet- The vanity and cabinet are natural hickory-