Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cellm22

is a pool cage necessary in the satellite beach Florida area?

Celeste
11 months ago

Moving to Satellite Beach, Florida to a home that has a pool cage, and thought about removing it. We noticed most homes with pools in that area do not have cages. We would love some input on what are the pros and cons in that area of Florida.

Comments (8)

• teamaltese
    11 months ago

And the previous home was on the gulf coast.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I live in North Alabama and I wish I could have the pool cage over our patio for the flies and mosquitoes. The venders here act like they have no idea what I am talking about! Keep the screening!

• marmiegard_z7b
    11 months ago

I don’t have experience with pool cages, but I live in the South, and did have an outdoor pool & deck at previous home.

I don’t think bugs bothered me when IN the pool , but whenever we had a meal or snack out on the open deck, the flies were horrendous— all over any food out and of course you can put those screen bowl cover but not on the food your actually trying to eat.

The mosquitoes then got us if did a swim and then wanted to sit awhile & drip dry, read a book. Often the temperature outside got more favorable at dusk but then the skeeters really got busy.

Currently I have a screened porch, and we sit or eat out there all the time. No flies, no mosquitoes.

I might ask, are y’all from around these parts? Because we got lots of annoying flying bugs that interfere with outdoor living and entertaining!

I imagine that with pool cages there is a tension between the protection of the screening and the loss of continuity with the surrounding yard, and views.

So the pool area may lose some of that magazine- photo shoot appeal.

This is the kind of situation that’s like some other Reno or landscape questions for just- purchased homes— I think you’ll want to live there awhile first and get experience with how you use your outdoor spaces, do you have kids swimming and adults need to be right there; did you envision having casual parties outside; etc

Also there could be opportunities for landscaping that enhances the whole area, if some stuff is overgrown, or you want something nice to look at.

• Laurie
    11 months ago

We are on the gulf side for 10 years and have a pool cage. I would be concerned about animals getting into the pool with no cage, especially alligators. They’ll climb a fence to get to water. The cage helps keep debris out so the furniture and pool stays cleaner.

• chispa
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I wouldn't rely on a screen to keep gators out! One of my dogs ripped one of my screen panels recently, probably going after a gecko. Very high prey drive, so not the average dog!

In my neighborhood we have a few houses without screens and when we are out on the water, you see a mix of houses with and without screens. We had a neighborhood event recently and ate our food outside with no screen cage/enclosure. The flying bugs were annoying and not something I would want to deal with all the time.

I would not remove the pool cage until you got to live with it for a year, through summer and winter. You can move your table outside the cage for a few days and try eating al fresco at dusk! Compare those experiences and then decide what to do with the cage.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    11 months ago

Live there for a few years before making a decision.

• Sarah Marshall
    10 months ago

I think @ShadyWillowFarm makes a valid point, live in the house for a few years before deciding. If you cannot live with the muck in the pool, invest in a pool cage.