Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n_angle

Help! Need to pick floor for this lovely house asap

N Angle
11 months ago

Hi everyone! So excited to update the carpet on this house -- we cannot do tile or concrete due to the weight. So thinking Vinyl - torn between wide plank light wood to the matching color wood vinyl to vinyl "travertine."

We want durable and easy to maintain, water resistant. floor that goes with the house. The Kitchen is going to be redone with Ivory top shaker style cabinets and emerald green bottom shaker style cabinets to bring out the green from the outside in. Many thanks for your ideas.

Comments (14)

• N Angle
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you so much Dan! How does glue down flooring work? Would you happen to know if it is waterproof?

• N Angle
    Original Author
    11 months ago

WOW. First of all Beth - thank you! I am SO grateful. Will need to show the fam before I can respond! We LOVE the wood but am a bit worried that it will be overwhelming. We are not planning to paint any of the original wood, but planning to make the kitchen lighter. This is our retirement house and will be renting in the meantime for some years and I know that the tenants will not be kind to the floors, hence the "water proofing" idea. Thank you thank you. Will get back to you.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

There are some very good options you could choose, even w/renters.

This is an engineered wood, click and lock from HomeDepot. It's "Malibu". if you go to JenWoodhouse blog/page, she shows how she installed it and the final look. it's not that expensive but looks pretty good.

Somerset White Oak natural, engineered. also on the cheaper end.

Perhaps you could invest in some area rugs while the tenants are in place? the rugs are much more cost effective. In fact, if you choose to do the engineered wood floors, you could do carpet over them buy getting a neutral color remnant (usually a few hundred or so) and having the edges bound in order to make your own 'area rug'. what I'd do is measure your living space floor area and get the rug sized so that it just comes off the walls.

for example,,,,if the room is 14x14, get a remnant (they are usually 12' or 13') around 12x12 or so. this way only a few feet of the flooring is actually exposed. The 'rug' actually looks like carpet.

Basically it would look like these pictures, except the rug would actually go wall to wall, more or less

You can have it custom cut to fit the areas.

for the kitchen, think about going w/a solid marmoleum or linoleum! super easy to care for and fits the style of the home

here's a mid century look kitchen w/the wood floors and "tile-look" kitchen. perfect for your style.

these are also marmoleum. they come in tons of colors/sizes.

But the carpet idea, perfect for tenants as it can be steamed cleaned. When they leave, take it up and you'll have your perfect floors!

if you do go w/laminate, here's one that looks like an oak, and isn't that expensive. home depot has this

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

I'd re think the "ivory shaker kitchen" idea right now. Doesn't feel at ALL suited to the style of the home. I'd rather see a white slab door and drawer..or even a green if you like. But ivory shaker seems far too traditional for this house.

The answer to tenants is a BIG security deposit and thorough vetting. BIG on both.

Not tailoring flooring to them. ........unless you want to plan to rip it when you retire in it.

I'd do a sand on site floor everywhere, which will last forever and if in ten years or whatever needs a refinish ? Well. You do that. Only you know the number of years you will rent it. With!!! THAT BIG SECURITY DEPOSIT. Money talks......: )

You get the idea..... as to that kitchen feel

• Jennifer Hogan
    11 months ago

With all the wood that you have I might look at Stone or tile look LVT.

I didn't want wood or wood look in my MCM home, so I went with a slate look LVT.

My sister used a grouted tile look LVT in her home.

One nephew used a linen finish LVT in his bathrooms.

There are lots of different choices other than wood look LVP.

• Fori
    11 months ago

Beth's suggestion of Marmoleum (or other real actual--NOT vinyl--linoleum) is excellent for a fabulous place like this. Don't use fake wood or fake stone.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

This is our retirement house and will be renting in the meantime for some years and I know that the tenants will not be kind to the floors, hence the "water proofing" idea

So put down new carpet for now and when you move in permanently, get engineered wood floors if it is going over concrete. Otherwise do like Jan suggested.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 months ago

I agree with @cpartist Beth's ideas are lovely, but save them for when you're not renting the place. Replace the carpet with inexpensive commercial carpet for the time being. They make lots of options now that don't feel like they belong in an office.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

cpartist has the best idea. if you're renting for a few years, then just do the carpeting. doesn't have to be an expensive choice.

when they move out, take some of that rental money you've saved and use it for some really nice wood flooring.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

They "won't be kind" to your new kitchen, either.

You either find tenants who truly respect property, or YOU DON'T rent it at all......

OR!!!!!!!!!!!

You get the carpet cleaned, rent it in as is condition, and then make your home suit you when ready to ditch any/all rental income. Give yourself no less than 18 months of kitchen, flooring etc - plan and execute and nobody in the house, Tenants OR you during reno period.

At which point you will a lot of cash to do what you want.

Personally.....I'm anti rental. I have heard horror stories of ruin from a client who rented their ski lodge. Turned into a squatter thing, and she could not get them OUT. The law isn't as on your side as you think.

But? I'd vote for delay and..........do nothing if you want a safety net

• crcollins1_gw
    10 months ago

Are those real parquet floors in the kitchen? Any chance there's something equally good under the carpet?

Agree very much with the others here about not spending money on new floors for renters. Do you have to rent it because of financial reasons? Do you have a really good management company who'll screen for good renters, do inspections and keep it maintained?

I would definitely not put shaker cabinets - not in keeping with the style of the house. This house is really beautiful, please don't eff it up with a "remuddle."

• dkgelm5
    10 months ago

What a gorgeous place! Personally I wouldn't change a thing but if I had to I would do flat front cabinets - check out Ikea for many affordable flat fronts. Marmoleum in the kitchen. Rest of the living room check for flooring under carpet. If it is hard wood, refinish. If not, leave carpeting until you're no longer renting out the place.