Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanley_johnson0

Please help me optimize my living room!

Stanley Johnson
11 months ago

My main dilemma are my coffee table and rug. i was told my coffee table was too small but i really like it. It was purchased from turkey and will be hard to return. Is there any hope in making it workable if I put a plant and some tall brass candles in it?

Also my rug, I love it but worry it’s a bit too similar to my floor. I was spending hours looking for a secondary rug to put underneath kind of like a border. Possibly a burgundy or dark brown for some contrast. But the cost is a bit prohibitive. I have a week left to return my rug, but am a bit worried if I get a larger size it will look awkward once my tv stand comes in (a MCM style that will go where the tv currently is) as it might kiss the edge of it and look off

Eventually I am going to add two end tables in each far end of the couches and one in the middle where they intersect. Also I’m going to hang some art up and add more plants, perhaps a book shelf

in the last picture you can see the far end of the living room, its kind of empty and i will get rid of that bar cart too any thoughts on what i can do with that space would be great

But any help at all would be appreciated. Cheers

Comments (104)

• Dawn Martinez
    11 months ago

@Stanley Johnson, I know it's exciting to get the room finished and feeling all put together; personally I might wait until your tv console arrives to pick a coffee table. That way your room looks cohesive and put together. And, I must agree about the leather chair, I hope you have another place for it in your home.

Stanley Johnson thanked Dawn Martinez
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

What do I think of the coffee table?

I think the West Elm I showed above is better. You have l.e.g.s on the standing lamp, a side table will have legs. The rug has a

'heavy" traditional " feel.....as do the TWO SOFAS.

THIS COMES ( 3 sizes ) IN 53 inch length. Any and everyone should be able to reach it.

https://www.westelm.com/products/anton-solid-wood-coffee-table-rectangle-h4541/?pkey=ccoffee-tables

It has a look of quality, versus starter apartment for a 20 year old

Has room for display, a drink.... etc

You get what you pay for...: )

• Dawn Martinez
    11 months ago

@JAN MOYER that coffee table from West Elm is great and a nice price point.

• Susan Davis
    11 months ago

what if you ordered another cocktail table and nestet it next to the existing cocktail table?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

Nests only work when MEANT TO NEST. A set : ) Don't force, the table was never the right scale.

• Susan Davis
    11 months ago

Well I was thinking two table mirror image of each other; guess its a loss.

• tracefloyd
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Why a coffee table...what about a nice big ottoman for the feet?

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Im not sure im following , Jan is your suggestion for that table simply because it doesnt have legs and if i dont get it ill be ”leg heavy” with all my furniture?

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Does anyone think this leather chair would look better in my room?

open to other suggestions too

• tracefloyd
    11 months ago

Better than the burgundy one? Yes. The color is nice.

• KW PNW Z8
    11 months ago

Stanley - yes I believe the ”leg heavy” look is just what Jan means. General opinion is that a mix of types of furniture bottoms / supports are easier on the eye. Straight to floor seating with ”bun feet” mixed with short legs or skirted couches etc. Not a good look to have a room full of pieces that all have similar long legs - chairs / tables / consoles.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

There was a time in the very early nineties, when you could pluck a nice mid century "something" off a curb : ) I mean that literally.

The iconic element in every aspect remain today. There's a lot of crossover into boho. Elements from modern......contemporary.

You clearly love the splayed leg. Light, a bit spindly. But an overdose of this in YOUR space ? You are asking those very lightweight pieces to bear the visual weight of the couches, the same thing with the rug. ....

Can even the best designed 100% mid century space come off as too "leggy" ? Yes it can. A space where everything feels light enough to fly away. .....where you wonder if the chair is sturdy, and you'd not dare plop a leg up on a cocktail table. Just sayin : )

Still the flavor. Just more beef, and a sweet spot

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks Jan, I agree with you. I think I need some other type of leg structure in my room otherwise it will look like a bamboo forest. That being said, I do not think I will change my coffee table from either one of these two designs. Personally Im just not attracted to the other designs.

What do you think about breaking up the leg structure by introducing a different style end table? One on each end of my room ... I know typically end tables match the coffee table but just to avoid the abundance of legs. Open to other shapes too

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

It's your room. : ) ? I can only advise.

Also, end tables only "match" cocktail tables in the stores that SELL a match. In catalogues as well. Cognescenti tend to resist that look. The "I just left the furniture store " look. They select to a feel that makes sense with their vision for a space, and good proportion relative to other elements in the space, for any and all that goes in a room.

Coffee tables are anchors, in a sense. Not so heavy they sink the boat....but please don't confuse them with a darn sail.

I might adore tea tables. I wouldn't put one in front of your seating.

Even this is better. Sorry, it is.

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks what about end table examples?

• tracefloyd
    11 months ago

Large scale pieces make a small room feel and look larger. Period.

• tarhlfan
    11 months ago

I think the best suggestions have been the ones by Jan. The kidney shaped table doesn't fit in that room. It was suggested to try it between the love seat and couch, but I never saw a photo of that. Sorry if I missed it. The dark red chair doesn't fit in the room and I agree, I don't care for the splayed leg tables either. you need something more substantial. try the floor lamp (again splayed legs) between the love seat and sofa and perhaps a more substantial type of end table to go in front of the a/c beside the love seat. The splayed legs need to go, lamp and furniture. Again, Jan has given you some wonderful options.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

ASK ANY designer. The farther you go from initial suggestions........???

the farther you shall go from the best of them.

Nobody paid or UN paid starts from so so, not bad, really nice to even better, to AWESOME.

Now reverse what I typed. You're doing it : )

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

i appreciate your help Jan but can you just say what youd like to say clearly? Im not following the riddles

does anyone have an opinion on this chair?

https://www.jossandmain.com/Joss-and-Main--Femi-Upholstered-MidCentury-Accent-Chair-X211199079-L54-K~J000701956.html?refid=FR450-J000701956_13246597&PiID%5B%5D=13246597

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

There is no riddle . I believe you want agreement . I gave you better options. i am paid to see in advance … what someone else cant see.

The only riddle ?

Do you want a balanced room? One that considers what you already own?

You can peck me forever…. cocktail, side table. I wont change my mind., because i see the whole. Not just any single element.

For thirty plus years:)

• doods
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

It seems to me you like skinny legs in tables but they are just not attractive in your room. The last coffee table that Jan suggested seems to me like a nice comprimise. Also please ditch the green throw pillows, you have enough green with the walls.

• happyleg
    10 months ago

Don't listen to the rants about changing furniture if it's not in your budget because the budget is more important not going in depth make do with what you need to make do with for the time being you can save all this information that you want and come back to read it later when you have more money

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Jan and Dawn, I am not disagreeing with you. I changed the rug after coming to this thread and hearing everyones thoughts. Im already looking at other accent chairs, based on everyone's thoughts. I am open to a different coffee table shape, its just that I really love this style.

That being said, Jan, I like the last coffee table and My wife likes it.

Do you think the size will be too small at 44 inches?

I appreciate your input on all these matters.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

I am sorely tempted to ask how your wife lives with you......................

For the last time: explained in inches down below via drawings scaled. I have already explained other aspects like visual weight, the sofas you purchased in a traditional look and matched set, the rug, also quite traditional.

Do as you L.I.K.E

Just know there is a difference between knowing what you like, and liking what you d.i.d : )

PS..... the perfect reach from sofa edge to cocktail edge? It's 15". I'm giving you 18", because you will find NADA in a look you like at a price tolerable......in anything that looks obviously mid century. I won't go into the why's of a different time in history etc and the reproductions do NOT consider well the scale of today. The reason kids in small urban apartments gravitate to it............now

below ALSO WORKS..... and you don't like it - because it doesn't scream mid century re pro

• Susan Davis
    10 months ago

The rug is wrong! Keep looking.....you are adding a lot of stuff to complete the room....select a neutral rug that blends with the sofa, and built from there....when the room is complete in boho/mcm then decide what needs to be tweaked.....study this room; great mcm, simple, simple, simple and you already have the sofa.....try the plain rug and see what you think. Bring one home and just try it. I think in design, every time you make a decision, it limits your next decision, and the design process becomes somewhat simplified, and you do not have to revisit the design process, but can proceed with choices that 'work'. Try the neutral rug. You can simply return it......

Transitional Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 months ago

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's the wall paint color that is throwing me.

I actually like this rug, but you need a better wall color to work w/it

then I'd do some coordinating art behind the sofa or on one of the walls. some greenery

and some textured items.

If you like that green, I'd bring in pillows, throws, art, but have a more neutral wall color

The wall color above w/this art over the sofa and your first rug

Here. I tried to do a quick mock up. you see the diff of how nice that rug looks w/the neutral wall color and the diff accessories?

a bit more modern mcm style. similar color sofa like yours. this gray/blue wall color would look great w/that rug and your furniture

For you window, I might trim it out in something a bit wider. at least 2".

similar rug, neutral walls, wood accents. try some black. w/your oak floors, black would look great

• happyleg
    10 months ago

I love it! Good color. Kbean on side of couch for end table.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

The second table is better. In Walnut. It is also quite similar to the first I suggested - so you should clarify if price is the issue,

• doods
    10 months ago

Love the 2nd one

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

Following

• Dawn Martinez
    10 months ago

Second table, Scandinavian design is a better fit.

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

so unfortunately it seems that webaite is a scam and the actual thing is over 1K. Jan i really wanted the stowe west elm one but it only ships in december. as of right now im leaning towards the first option i linked. if there are any further suggestions i am open. looking to keep the cost under 500 and made with actual wood preferably

• happyleg
    10 months ago

Wayfair.com or West Elm.

• Dawn Martinez
    10 months ago

This is listed as quick ship on West Elm, it comes in a dark walnut (which is better for your space), also has visual weight like the piece Flo recommended. It's $349.

https://www.westelm.com/products/santa-rosa-rectangle-coffee-table-h9923/?group=1&sku=3265930&pkey=ccoffee-tables

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks dawn. i dont love a round table looking for more oval or square or another shape. and the west elm one is close, i just dont love it

• k8cd
    10 months ago

I definitely like the two Wayfair options over the Amazon. The style of the Amazon chair is nice but I can only imagine the “leather” will look even worse in person.

But I don’t think that the orange will look good with the rug. I don’t think the rug goes with the style you are trying to go for. I like the rug for a more traditional space. And I don’t think that’s what you want.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

The ONLY way I would buy a 300.00 chair, would be in a teen dorm, to toss the old teddy bear , or the clothes that the kid refused to hang.

Why? Because I don't fill the landfill - nor do I waste a clients money.

( Note: there is no free in life, and there is NO free shipping. It's IN the chair pricing in all of this stuff ) On what planet do trucks not need fuel, does a worker not get paid to pack and wrap?! What dock worker is hauling this container of junk off a ship for FREE? )

I understand resources, and the urge to finish a space. But you are being unrealistic about price points that would get some longevity and quality. Unless you are buying this to throw out, or to NEVER sit down.

West Elm........ 799.00 ...and yes 6 weeks and their shipping. There are others, and other colors

Even Better Quality?

Room and Board... A sampling of choices...

You don't want me to tell you that a decent chair starts at a grand or close. I would wait, save up. Room and Board ships for 75.00 dollars.

Ask yourself how soon you'd like to be replacing an Amazon or Wayfair chair.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 months ago

OMG, Jan, your "note" on shipping is classic. Everyone please read and remember it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

LOL......well!!! Very sorry to be the "bad news of shipping lady" but you have to be a bit delusional to believe that anything short of the air you breathe is ever free. Even the air......seems questionable at times : )

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

In my day (young lol), shipping was free because we hauled used stuff ourselves from our relatives or the thrift store. Some sandpaper and paint, an old Persian rug that we shampooed, paint an accent wall. Some books, lamps and voila...a pleasing space pulled together for free. And yes, it takes some time to find objects but what's the rush?

I don't get the young generation. I know....Instagram.

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

I know that some people are happy with Facebook Marketplace for used furniture.

• Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    8 months ago

https://imgur.com/gallery/GZrBtuf

i wanted to share some updates. let me know what you all think.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Stanley, don't make us open a new window, okay?

Here:

New chairs look great.

Three pics over sofa. You love them.....find another spot?

Too small, and too high a hang, makes them look lost on the wall. Something larger and more substantial would be better.

It's not a greenhouse. I understand the desire, but please take the hanging plant in the corner down?

Maybe take this shelf unit......put it right side of window, lose the tree entirely, or to left of the window. CLUSTER all the small plants, limit the window sill to three, max

More plant clutter. : ) Rent a green house?

Needs a bit of tweaking..... fewer small cluttery things, more size and scale. I don't think you REALLY want us all chiming in. ? I say that as I think you know that you will resist. : )

If you are happy? It's all that counts.

I want to reach in and enlarge that coffee table.........remember this from up above? Months ago? There was a reason.: ) I wrote "best "

Stanley Johnson thanked JAN MOYER
  • Stanley Johnson
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks jan

• happyleg
    8 months ago

I mostly agree with Jan if you don't have too many plants it's not clutter what you got does not clutter but if that's a fake plant in the corner I like the light on plants but if it's fake you could get rid of it cuz you have the real ones on that bookcase that you could put in that corner with the light effect but a candle by an AC unit will not likely stay on unless you direct the air upward but the room is coming along and I like the green