Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_horchem

Is this a veneer? Plywood?

Jennifer H
11 months ago

I'm restoring a mid century modern desk. The matching dresser was solid wood. I've suspected from the start that the top of the desk may be a veneer due to the corner that appeared to be like banded edging that had chipped. There were a lot of rough scratches and imperfections and it had a really dark stain, so I started sanding with 80. On parts, I sanded off the grain. The grain of the desktop doesn't really seem to match the rest of desk... Is it a veneer?

Comments (14)

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Grain sand sandedsanded

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Side of desk

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Matching dresser, different grain on top than

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you so much! And thanks for anticipating the next question!!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    11 months ago

Yes it’s veneer. Yes you oversanded. Once it is stained and sealed it probably won’t affect aesthetics dramatically.

• klem1
    11 months ago

Say wut????

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    10 months ago

So I bit the bullet and thought I'd see what lies beneath the veneer that I ruined. It appears to be a piece of plywood and then maybe the original top. Is there a way to remove the plywood?

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    10 months ago

• Beerpocketbook
    10 months ago

It’s not likely “the original top.” The plywood is the structural component of the desk. Veneers are commonly used on all types of furniture over lesser aesthetic cuts of wood. Your best bet would be to apply a new piece of veneer to the desk that most closely matches the finishes on the other pieces of furniture from the set. You have a clean slate now.

• klem1
    10 months ago

Remove the plywood??????? Why do you want to remove it ? Assuming you attempted and succeeded the table would almost certainly be damaged more than it has been already. Do you believe structural components are easier to replace than laminate ? I've been a dedicated hobby woodworker for over 50 years but I am and always will be a student. Your answers can help me understand goals you and others seek when asking for advice.

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks so much for all your advice. I've only got a few pieces under my belt so I depend on the help of strangers.

My thinking is that with all the rest of the desk being solid wood that the original top may be as well. However...Who knows what's really under the plywood? How much damage will I do trying to figure that out? My thinking after spending some more time with it this morning is to just redo veneer. I don't want to ruin the form of the desk.

• Beerpocketbook
    10 months ago

Jennifer, even without seeing it, the fact that there was a veneer on it that matched the other furniture, tells me that the plywood IS the original top and was intentionally covered with that veneer. In other words, that is how it was originally built. I’d be willing to bet that all of the furniture in the set is built the same way, with plywood tops, and maybe sides, covered with the veneer. That does not mean it was cheap furniture. Very valuable pieces of antique furniture were created with veneers. I would highly suggest that you leave the piece alone and research furniture or woodworking supply shops in your area from whom you can purchase the veneer. OR, pay a professional to reapply the veneer. You sound like you’re not afraid of hard work, and want to learn, so you could probably give it a shot on your own. Matching the wood grains on the top if you need to piece the veneer together and doing the edge banding will probably be the hardest part. But research first. Maybe watch some YouTube videos. Good luck with it!

• Jennifer H
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you. The rest of the desk and the rest of the pieces in the set are all solid oak. Including the tops. That's why this one is so puzzling. I appreciate the advice.