Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikesheila_kelly

Wall art and chandelier placement in casual dining room

Sheila Kelly
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

I have these two canvas pictures that I absolutely love in my dining area, but I'm not sure about the placement. I centered them along the wall, but I have a rather long table in that room (72") that cannot be centered under the light so it looks "off" when you are looking at it from the kitchen which is the first picture. I think it looks OK coming into the house (2nd picture) though.

We will be remodeling the adjoining kitchen soon and I'm toying around with replacing the chandelier with a brushed nickel one that will tie in with my kitchen cabinet hardware. Photo is also attached. My questions are:

1) When replacing the chandelier should I install one of those hooks on the ceiling to where the chandelier can be centered above the table?

2) Where should I hang the two pictures? I was also thinking that maybe they looked a little too small so should I add a wood frame around the canvass to make them appear larger?

Replacing the table is not an option nor is moving the pictures to another location in the house.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments (38)

• auntthelma
    11 months ago

I agree with your instinct to have the paintings framed. My first thought was black frames, but i wonder if a pickled or whitwashed wood similar to your table would look good. Bring them to a good frame shop where you can visualize several options.

• KW PNW Z8
    11 months ago

The light you’re showing looks too dainty for the table style. If you change the light color to match kitchen hardware will you also change curtain rod? No to swagging the chandelier to be exact center of table - that just calls more attention to light being off center. How much off is light from center? If not far & there’s extra wire tucked into ceiling it’s not a huge project to relocate the light. If you don’t want to do the ceiling repair required for the old hole & it’s too far away to simply cover up with a larger base plate, ceiling medallions can be used instead. They come in many sizes & styles - a square & plain one would look good with your style of table.

About the art - they are a bit small for that long wall. Framing each won’t add much to size unless you also add a huge mat around art & frame the larger size created by mat.. Another idea is to frame the 2 pieces with one large frame & mount the pieces inside the frame on a canvas like back ground that’s a color taken from the art. They look pale colored & wall is light color too. A stronger color background might make the art ’pop’ a bit - or maybe it needs lighter background? A framer could advise on frame color & background mat to stand out against your wall color. Can’t see the images too well but looks like trees - nice pieces.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I wasn't planning on changing the curtain rod because I do have black hardware in other places (pulls on table, table lamp in entry way, hands on clock) but if it ends up looking bad I can probably swap out for satin nickel. That is a good idea for the base plate - I'll have to talk to my contractor to see if that is an option.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you are right about the art being too small. Each picture is 18" x 26" - the next size up is 26" x 40" which I think would be too long for that wall, especially since we have cove ceilings. The ceiling height is 8', but there is only 7' between the baseboard and the trim on the cove ceiling. The width of the wall is 10' 2". They do offer the same print in a 48" x 32" single print instead of two, but I really like how the two different pieces tied together. I'd hate to buy a different print, but thinking this may be a better option. Thoughts?

• KW PNW Z8
    11 months ago

New print same image? Cost $173? The 2 prints you have & framed the way I described - both mounted inside the same frame & mounted on a background with texture - would be a much more interesting feature I think. Doing that would create a larger than 26” x 40” piece. Potentially 36” x 49”. My rough calcs are 2” frame molding - adds 4” to both H & W. Using mat that spaces 3” between frame & art & also between each art adds 9” to width + the 4” of frame = 13” wider. A framer should be able to tell you exact spacing & frame molding size is best proportionally. So, before buying a new print - of the same image - I would take them to closest craft store that also does framing & find out the cost. Frame costs are all over the map. If you create a standard size you might be able to get a ready made frame which is much less $$. This could also be a DIY project since there’s no glass involved in mounting the prints onto a backing that’s framed.

ETA: the more I think about it, the more I think my framing idea would be an easy DIY & I’m only a mildly crafty person! The backing can be art board covered with fabric stretched over it. A craft / frame store should be happy to offer advice on how to put this together.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

It is the same picture but i would return the other two.

I was having a hard time visualizing two canvass prints framed together at first but now i think i get what you are saying.  That would be an interesting piece.  I'm somewhat crafty so I'll visit the craft store to see what I can find.  My son has a friend who does custom framing so I may recruit him to help.  Thanks!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 months ago

You need either a larger piece of art for that wall or you should create a gallery wall with several pieces of art.

• KW PNW Z8
    11 months ago

@Sheila Kelly Even better that you have a contact with the skill you need for the frame! If this works well it’ll be even nicer to have a custom piece of art! Thinking about frame options - dark to tie in with drape rod & the dark of tree trunks in art - & maybe chandelier if you don’t change it for brushed nickel. Or, a brushed nickel frame to tie in with kitchen hardware. Depends on backing used too. So many decisions! I hope you’ll post pic of result if you do this project!

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I'll definitely post a pic of the finished product but it may be a while.  We are starting remodel of the adjoining kitchen and making the opening between kitchen and dining area larger so these will be coming down and not be put back up until after the kitchen is finished.

I'm thinking of trying the dark blue for the mat to bring that out a little more and tie in with blue accent pieces I have selected for the kitchen and maybe a lighter wood for the frame, but I'm sure I'll play around with a few different colors.  Like you said so many options!

• ffpalms
    11 months ago

You may want to try color blocking to increase the size of the grouping. You can get a crisp line by painting the seam between wall and tape the wall color to form a seal, then the color for the block will not bleed under the tape. Remove the tape before the block color is completely dry.

You can choose any color from your art . This is a Bejamin Moore color.

• ffpalms
    11 months ago

You might want to search for a linear asymmetrical chandelier so that it need not be centered over the table.

The one below is from Wayfair.

• ffpalms
    11 months ago

This color is BM Rhine River.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Those are great ideas ffpalms.  Haven't picked a color for the kitchen yet - was thinking sage or a light blue, but would it be a good idea to use the same color for the color blocking?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

Two pieces of art will make hanging chandelier even harder. A single large piece would be my choice. I like ffpalms suggestion to do an asymmetrical fixture. Get the fixture first, return the two pictures. Then get kitchen done and revisit dining room. You might have whole new vision then. You can always get new art. Good luck on your remodel. Kitchens are hardest and require intense attention to details so all the more reason to put dining room on hold.

• ffpalms
    11 months ago

Whatever color you choose behind the art should be darker than your dining room wall color for contrast.

• Kelly Jones
    11 months ago

I see there have been more suggestions while I was putting this together:)

Here's what it could look like with floating framed prints on a soft sage color block and the light you picked:

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Husband wasn't a fan of the color blocking and I didn't really like any of the options for adding a frame and custom matt.  It just seemed to take away from the continuity of the two pieces together.

That being said, I've found a good place to relocate the old pieces and found a new piece I think will look better.  Before I spend the money though I wanted to get your thoughts on if this size 30x30 is good and if I should still center along the wall/chandelier.  Also, wasn't sure if a landscape orientation would be better than square.  Haven't found any in landscape that I love yet, but can keep looking if that would be best.

Photos below of approximate placement and the art I'm thinking of purchasing for this space.

• HU-227031627
    9 months ago

I would just spray paint the light fixture that you already have.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I was thinking of that ffpalms but wasn't sure if it'd be too busy.  I like the way you have it laid out though. I'll do some searching for complimentary items.  Thanks!

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Thoughts on this arrangement? Trying to use some pieces I already have. The "K" used to be in the kitchen and the "Forever Grateful" print I bought over a year ago and never used. The two in the middle would be new. Not crazy about the frame options for the landscape picture on the bottom - was thinking of just ordering that print and framing it myself with a wood that coordinates with the others.

The entire arrangement is 61" x 37" - the table is 72" so it is still smaller than the table. Individual measurements are below:

Forever Grateful - 24" x 24"

Blue Tree - 20" x 20"

"K" - 12" x 12.5"

Landscape - 30.25" x 14.25"

• ffpalms
    9 months ago

This is a very pleasant grouping. Nice work!

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks!!

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I put tape on the wall to see what it would look like to scale. It's not 100% straight, but it still gives a good idea of the spacing. I think this will definitely help with the chandelier not being centered over the table.

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

I do like your grouping arrangement so much more than the single art. I’m wondering how a slight tweak would look - hang ”K” in middle & Blue Tree on right where K is now. It’s more symmetrical & I’ll admit I like symmetry. I know the 2 square arts are 2” difference in size so maybe more space between each piece needed to offset that. I think spacing should be equal between edges of each adjacent piece - if that makes sense. I like the idea of getting your own frame for the landscape to match the others. Another thought - landscape could be hung at top of ”K” instead of bottom. Depends on overall height of arrangement. When you get all the pieces, maybe lay them out on floor in the 3 different arrangments. If the pieces aren’t too heavy - 3M velcro art hanging strips are really great for saving on nail holes!

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I'm not 100% sold on the bottom pic yet.  It's all I could find online.  I plan on going out this weekend to see what I can find in stores.  Once I settle on the last piece I'll try different layouts like you suggested.

I'm already a big fan of the 3M velcro strips.  I even used them to hang a mirror with no issues!

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

Those strips are such a great deal when a person likes to change things out as I do. They really allow flexibility & creativity. Another thing that helps me - I take a close up pic of the parts I’m trying to match or go with & I write down measurements of what I have & what I’m looking for. It seems like after a short time of pondering possibilities I can easily lose sight of what I’m actually looking for!

• R Joy
    9 months ago

If you add a thin sideboard/buffet cabinet/console table under the pictures it will give them weight. Right now, in my opinion from the photo they are just a touch too high. Hope you figure out the centering thing. I have that issue too.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

R Joy - unfortunately there is absolutely no room for a sideboard - even a thin one. The room is pretty narrow.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I've tried a few different layouts/prints and wanted to get some more thoughts. Thanks so much for all of your help so far!

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

I've tried moving the "K" to the middle, but can't seem to get it to balance out with the other pieces.

• njmomma
    9 months ago

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

2 - except center the Family script under the tree, move the forever script to left & center the K on the tree picture or line up the top of the K with the top of frame of the Forever script.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Like this?

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

Sheila - perfect!! yes, that’s exactly what I meant. I think it looks more balanced & it also covers more area on the wall. I think it looks like a really nice arrangement & shows each piece off nicely. What do you think?

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I do think that looks better, but wasn't sure about the word art at the bottom. Do you think this would be better?

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

Hmm - I like the small prints a lot too. The spacing is great & their leaf images play nicely with the leafy wreath effect in the script art on left & the tree. And, having only one script art instead of two makes the arrangement less busy for the eyes wanting to read the scripts instead of looking at the nice arrangement as a whole. Sounds like I’ve made my decision that I like your last arrangement the best! So as you & I both know - that’s the beauty of the velcro hangers - we can change our minds & not have walls looking like dart boards!

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Sorry it's been a while, but it took me a long time to find exactly what I wanted for this wall. I think I've finally found the perfect combination.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

Very nice, Sheila! I like the darker frames & images of the 3 smaller art pieces - they make the entire arrangement pop a bit. Thanks for coming back & showing us.

• Sheila Kelly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you! I wish I would have gotten a darker frame for the tree but it is what it is. I ordered it online so it was hard to tell what the frame would look like.