Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_tran72

room makeover help

Nancy Tran
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hello! I was just trying to do a small makeover to my room and wanted some advice. I’m trying to make use of the furniture I have, but am willing to purchase some if needed. Room just seems disconnected and not cozy. I’m open any suggestions! Thank you

Comments (10)

• ladybug74
    10 months ago

I think a rug by the sofa would soften things up. Then, consider a blanket throw or comforter for the bed. Put the soft toys over the tall cupboard into a couple of hampers. I think there is a lot of colour there and there is visual clutter. Also consider a couple of fluffy pillows. Do you have an ikea? They have 20” by 20” cushion covers and inner pillows that will be nice.

Nancy Tran thanked ladybug74
  • nelliebean
    10 months ago

I have a quick question about the size of your room. Would the bed fit the other way (across the room)?

Nancy Tran thanked nelliebean
  • Susan Davis
    10 months ago

I would try rotating the bed onto the long wall and place the vanity on one side of the bed and the dresser on the other side of the bed. Place the low dresser on the other side of the bed. Put the sofa opposite the wall where the bed is, and hang the TV on the wall.

Buy some black out curtains in a pattern you love, and buy 4 panels for the slider, and two panels for the small window and keep them closed so it looks like a bigger window.

Try moving it around if possible, and see if you like the layout?

Agree with bedding, rug, and sorting toys, and using baskets for storage etc.

Nancy Tran thanked Susan Davis
  • nelliebean
    10 months ago

I think you've got some good advice. I'm be tempted to take a rainy weekend to move stuff around and find the "perfect" layout. Grab some friends to help you and have fun with it. Try your furniture in locations you don't even think will work and it might surprise you. You may even find a "summer" layout and a "winter" layout. I often tweak my place seasonally. You'd have to measure but I wonder if your wardrobe cabinets could fit on either side of the window with the dresser inbetween? Big baskets or boxes on top of those wardrobes could help tame your stuffed animals. I like the advice of rotating them through so only a few are on display at a time. Is there another door across from the wardrobes now? If so is it a door that is used often or one that things can be placed in front of?

Nancy Tran thanked nelliebean
  • midcentura
    10 months ago

What great bones your room has, and the furniture is nice as well. Here’s how I would arrange the furniture for a cozy vibe:

1. move the bed to the middle of the wall where the floor lamp is, headboard against the wall.
    2. slide the desk down to the other side of the window so that the side of the desk is right up against the wall with the ledge, and move the floor lamp to be in the corner of desk and ledge wall.
    3. take down the framed picture that was on the wall next to the floor lamp and group that picture with two other framed pictures of similar colors on the ledge for a clean, curated feel, add a couple of small plants that would enjoy the light from the window, and move the large fan to be part of this grouping
    4. flip the little loveseat and tv console so that the love seat is now in that corner, a much cozier spot for the loveseat. Add some pillows and a light colored solid throw, and add a rug a couple of feet wider than the seating area to help ground this new seating area
    5. the console and tv are now on the opposite wall, next to the large white armoire for a more cohesive feel for the armoire and console/drawers.
    6. large airy baskets filled with the stuffed animals will be a tidier way to store them with less eye clutter

No need for any new furniture except for a throw, some airy sophisticated baskets, a rug and some pillows.

Nancy Tran thanked midcentura
  • Nancy Tran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I’m going to try to flip my bed to the long side today, but im afraid there may not be enough room. The only thing that would be able to fit across the bed is the dressers. Then I don’t know where to position my desk and couch ?

• JT7abcz
    10 months ago

If it doesn't work to rotate the bed, you could swap places with the wardrobe and the vanity. Placing the wardrobe parallel with the bed won't block the small window on that wall and will open up the more narrow part of your room.

Use the ledge to create groupings of art and interest and add pots of plants.

You have a lot of right angles, soften them up with a round or irregular shaped rug in front of the futon, and float a small round ottoman or pouf in front. Another round rug beside your bed will be soft on your feet.

Dress up the windows by extending the rods beyond the edges and adding more panels and get some great linens for your bed. You may also want to consider placing your mattress on a simple platform instead of the heavy piece you have now.

De-cluttering will go a long way toward making the room feel more cozy and sophisticated.

• PRO
    KGORGE
    10 months ago

You have a spacious room! I think the curtains in your room near the bed might be better replaced with blinds! It is easy to clean, protects privacy, and can be completely blacked out. Make your room more modern and more uniform in style.