Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suhairn

Help with Front Yard Landscaping!!!!

Suhair Najjar
10 months ago

New home. I do not have a green thumb but would like to fix this mess. Please help with any ideas, suggestions and pictures.

I love limelight hydrangea trees. Can I make that work here?

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 months ago

when you want to talk about plants.. you have to tell us where you are.. big city name... in every post ....

depending where you are.. it might be too late to move rather large plants.. the next best season for that would be fall ...

the plants there are too big.. rather overgrown for the location.. you can prune them back hard.. but i might suggest.. thats not a multi year project for the front door of you new castle ...

next.. you need to give us some goals ... and then we can help you get there.. what do you want to do here????

in this case.. do you want have a rather largish garden.. or will some of the area go back to lawn ...???

finally.. understand that foundation plants are planted to hide the foundation. NOT ON THE FOUNDATION.. over the last 10 or 15 years.. the plants that are there.. have grown to their potential.. and you should easily see.. they were planted to close to the house.. without the requisite maintenance.. its would probably be easiest.. to just remove them.. rather than messing with them ..

check out section one at the link below.. then the rest of it...

ken

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    10 months ago

You need a complete do-over. Things there are overgrown and unruly.

And to echo the above comment, there’s no way to recommend plants for you without an idea where in the world you are. No use discussing any kind of hydrangea if you live in Arizona, for example.

Lovely home. It deserves a lovely yard.

• PRO
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago

Thank you @Sigridfor your post! You hit the nail on the head!! I know there is a strong desire for new homeowners to rip out and replace existing landscaping but a mature, established landscape can be brought back to its former glory with a little bit of work. Wholesale replacement is expensive and takes years to achieve a similar size and appearance and will effectively lower property values - at least temporarily - until it fills in and matures.

Unfortunately, 3D photoshopped renderings rarely reflect an accurate depiction of how the garden will look as the scale is usually off, the depicted plants are unlikely to bloom all at the same time (as they do in the renderings) and they are almost always overplanted. Too easy to be swayed by some pretty but unrealistic pictures.

• Suhair Najjar
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I truly appreciate all of the comments. I need to do a lot of research and make some decisions.

I live in Morris county New jersey so we have all four seasons here.

I do not know much about plants and i don’t know exactly what i want yet but i am researching and open to opinions of what the community thinks would look nice.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago

It's not a matter of what the "community" thinks looks good - it is what looks good to YOU!! We won't live with it but you have to :-)

You would be well served by hiring a local landscape designer for at least an onsite consultation. They can help to identify what is currently growing, what should be removed or pruned back and what can or should be added. The fee for this sort of service is very modest...maybe a couple hundred bucks.

Always a good idea to get the opinions of professionals, not a nameless mass of online hobby gardeners!!

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    10 months ago

Here are some suggestions:

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 months ago

Thanks for the location.

If you don't have a green thumb, then are you planning to hire someone to maintain the yard? Or are you willing to learn about gardening and develop a green thumb?

The front is too small for any activities, so it will have to be a gardening for viewing. Here are some alternatives I've seen to make a large garden into a bunch of small gardens like yours.

accent lighting in trees

arbors (for vines)

beds (perennials, annuals, bulbs, herbs, ferns, roses, hostas, container plants, rock, and fruits).

benches

butterfly garden

decks

edibles (not THOSE edibles, but veggies)

fences (accent)

fragrance garden

ground covers

hedges

herb garden

hummingbird garden

Japanese garden

ornamental grass garden

other groundcovers

overhead sunshades

rock garden

rose garden

screens (foliage hedges or growing on a wire mesh)

sitting or reading area

statuary

topiary

trees (shade)

trees (accent or decorative)

tulip garden

vining plant garden

walls (accent or decorative)

wildflowers

Zen garden