Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philippe_thibeault62

Odd concrete step in doorway

PhilDIY
10 months ago

We’re adding a new room in our basement which involved the addition of a doorway in a retaining wall. The way the retaining wall was done in the 60’s, there’s a 5-6” concrete base to the wall, which is now running right through the doorway.

At this point in the project, it’s not in the Reno budget to have it cut, and we can’t elevate the flooring in the new room, as there’s a ventilation duct passing through that would make the ceiling height less than 6’.

The step is up about 5” in the new room, and about 1” from the floor in the existing room. What would be some decent ways to finish this and have it look nice?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO you needed to at least have on flor level with the step and what you have now is just ahuge tripping hazard that needs to be addressed

• ladybug74
    10 months ago

Ditto. This is a safety issue, it should be removed. If it remains, any solution you do would not make it nice, it needs to visually stand out as a tripping hazard.

• PRO
    PhilDIY
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I understand and appreciate the comments about this being a tripping hazard. However However, as I said, removing it is not currently in my budget (unless one of you is offering to pay ;) ). That is not to say I won’t go back and fix it one day, but it’s not in a place of business or a public space. It’s in my private basement, leading to what will be a home office only I will use, I just don’t want it to be an eyesore for now

• beesneeds
    10 months ago

Out of curiousity, is this project something that will get visited by the building inspector?

• latifolia
    10 months ago

What is the ceiling height in this doorway, and what is the minimum ceiling height for occupied basement space in your jurisdiction? Do you have code compliant egress windows?

If this space cannot be made code compliant, then it's not worth putting a lot of money into it. Just paint or tile it in a bright color to avoid the trip hazard.

• PRO
    PhilDIY
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I’m not sure what the laws are like where you’re all from. In my part of canada, I applied for a renovation permit, which got approved, and I’m free to do the work from here on. There will be no other inspection of the home, unless we decide to eventually sell it.

For a basement to be considered a liveable space, the ceilings need to be at least 6ft. If i raise the floor, most of the space will be over 6ft, except for the first 2-3 feet right after the doorway, due to a ventilation duct, do we’re trying to avoid that option.

The window in the room is non-compliant for a bedroom, but there are no such restrictions for a home office.

I should also mention that there will not be a door in this doorway, it will be left as an open passthrough between spaces

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

What will the flooring be in the new space? Is it staying concrete?

People are able to step over threshholds. If you cannot remove it; you cannot remove it. Threshholds happen. We've got several in our house.

• PRO
    PhilDIY
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA It’ll be light grey floating floor with a dri-core subflooring

10 months ago

Do you have a picture of it? Does it have a grain/pattern or direction?

• PRO
    PhilDIY
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA Here it is (take the exact color with a grain of salt, the photo isn’t 100% accurate

10 months ago

And will it be laid parallel or perpendicular to the flooring in the existing room?

Will there be any casing for the opening?

• PRO
    PhilDIY
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA The flooring will likely be perpendicular to the opening. As for casing, there will definitely be some along the walls of the space, but I remain undecided on putting any underneath the opening

10 months ago

If the grey flooring will run perpendicular, then you could use that material on the threshhold. it wouldn't be an option if the flooring runs parallel, since it would disguise the step too much (tripping hazard). You'd want to do a test case first, thoigh, to make sure it looks okay running alongside the existing flooring.

Another option, as you'd deduced, would be to use the same material as the jamb for the threshhold.

The other option would be to use another material from the room, though it depends on what else is in the rooms and the style(s).

10 months ago

This threshold goes from wood to tile using similar wood to the original hardwoods:

This threshold goes from wood to carpet à la casing (please ignore the hay donated by the guinea pigs):

PhilDIY thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • PRO
    PhilDIY
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA Thanks for the examples. I’ll have to see if I can think of an intelligent say to apply this to a 1.5 inch difference