Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_62831144

What do you all think of black…cupboards, counters etc. ?

Linda
10 months ago

I have two pieces of furniture in my living room now and they show dust and fingerprints easily. I would like black as lower cabinets in kitchen and maybe black counter in bathroom but I am hesitant. Stock photos from houzz. Thank you!

Comments (6)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 months ago

Black counters are fine, I like black counters when done thoughtfully and well. Big fat no to the black cupboards, though. Your stock photo shows you why -- it's a visually heavy and overbearing look.

• Susie .
    10 months ago

Black does show a lot of fingerprints and dust and it does take up a lot of visual weight. Countertops are not bad as black - you see the dust, but honestly you should be cleaning them regularly anyway. IMO there should be a relatively small color “budget” for black because it will tend to make a space feel unbalanced if there is too much of it. I also think that in a few years these all black spaces will feel very dated.

As Lomo mentioned, you must have very good lighting or a lot of natural light if you want black cupboards in a working kitchen.

If you are hesitant, then look for other options that make you feel more confident.

• rebasheba
    10 months ago

Keep in mind that the types of homes that get featured in design publications and websites (with any color) tend to be those that are drenched in beautiful light...not every home can support a big dramatic statement. I would look at dark, gray-blue colors rather than true black, and maybe just on the island if you have one.

• Helen
    10 months ago

I have black counters in the kitchen and in the guest bath.

They are not hard to maintain as most people wipe counters off fairly regularly so dust isn’t an issue.

I have lots of light and at night the kitchen is very dramatic looking as I have a copper sink and copper ceiling and my Black Galaxy granite has copper flecks thst light up.

Before the remodel, I had a black sink and that was hellish to maintain because any water wouid leave a white spot when it dried and i certain wasn’t going to manually dry my sink every time it was used 🤷‍♀️😂

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

A lot depends on context; I am not sure I would want a black kitchen in an otherwise decorated ordinarily house. It will be dark and moody and need a lot of lighting. The fingerprint issue could be reduced with selection of the texture of the finishes.

• vinmarks
    10 months ago

We rented a house while our house was being built. It had a black island. It looked dirty and dusty all the time. I would dust it and the next day you could see dust on it again. I would never do black cabinets. I don' have an issue with black counters. They are wiped down often.