Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsclark

Backsplash Question

Terri Clark
10 months ago

Should I carry the brick up to the second shelf to mimic the stove area or leave as is?

Comments (20)

• whistle_b
    10 months ago

Leave it alone.

• chispa
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

If you want to make people think that that whole wall is brick, then I would take it up to the ceilings ... but we don't know what is going on on the left side.

• Terri Clark
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I’m not trying to make it look like the wall is actual brick. Here is the rest of the room. I excuse the mess while I work!

• Terri Clark
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Here are the pics. Houzz is a pain on my phone!

• rebunky
    10 months ago

I would absolutely bring it to the ceiling. It would look finshed and less choppy. I would also do it above the sink. Love it!

• Kendrah
    10 months ago

I would leave it as is. If you finish this wall up to the next shelf or up to the ceiling then the other part of the wall that has brick only partway up is going to look like a mistake. I think you are at a fine stopping point where you are now.

• rebunky
    10 months ago

I think once I saw the sink wall is when I thought, oh yeah, that brick really needs to go to the ceiling.

To be honest, it looks like you ran out of brick to finish the job. I assume your original plan was to go up to the second shelf to match the height above the sink?

I am sorry, but where it stops above the sink with less then half left to go, and the picture hung on the brick, just looks unfinished to me. It is such a small amout of brick left on both areas to go, you might as well go for it. It will look so great!

Either that or I would remove the brick above the sink so it ends in line with the bottom of the cabinets which will match the bottom of the first shelf. Center the framed picture between the brick and the sconce.

• prp prp
    10 months ago

All the way to the ceiling.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    10 months ago

I like your cabinets!

• lisaam
    10 months ago

Usingbrick as the backsplash I think it WANTS to look like an old wall so for that reason I would take it up to the ceiling if possible. Otherwise I’d look for anothe consistent line.

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

I think the two areas need to match with brick height regardless which way you go. Looks wonky otherwise. Pretty painting looks hung too low.

• Terri Clark
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Got it. Thanks all.

• chloebud
    10 months ago

I’d take the brick all the way up on shelf and sink walls.

Agree with jackowskib regarding the framed art. I would line the bottom of the frame with bottom of cabinets.

• rebunky
    10 months ago

Here I mocked up the sink side for you. I love your kitchen btw!

I have always loved a brick backsplash and you picked one with the perfect color. Also I have your same exact countertop egg storage! We have 15 hens. Whatever you decide, enjoy your new kitchen.

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

All the way up the wall. Looks great but needs to be “finished” there.

• Terri Clark
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Rebucky. We only have 5 hens. Though only allowed 4. Oops. It’s plenty of eggs for the two of us.

• J Pru
    10 months ago

Finished both above the sink and the shelves with brick. It looks unfinished the way it is

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

Yep once you selected brick you should have taken it to the ceiling.

I also think that white washing the brick can only help its appearance. See image below.

• Fori
    10 months ago

At least to the next shelf (so it's evenish with sink area) or to the ceiling or take BOTH to the ceiling.

You can also leave it because it actually already looks great.