Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

I want to be one of those sophisticated women who ..

Funkyart
10 months ago

Can pack for a trip in just a carry on bag. If ever I am going to do it, it will be in summer ... but I look in that small hollow and wonder how in the heck am I going to do it??

I think I can manage the clothes -- but what do you do with shoes!? Must I really stick to only 2 pairs?

I must take laptop and ipad .. so no extra "shoulder bag".

Am I missing something?

Comments (59)

• salonva
    10 months ago

There's a facebook group for that- Travel Fashion Girls. It's all sorts of advice but so many people do "COO"- Carry on Only.

you'll get more info and suggestions than you've ever thought possible!

Funkyart thanked salonva
  • nekotish
    10 months ago

I'm going to Mexico soon for two weeks and will just take carry on. I've done it before. I wear my "biggest" shoes, usually runners. I take 2 other pair, flip flops and flat sandals. I take 5 shorts/skorts, 6 tops, 2 bathing suits, a sarong and a gauze dress in my suitcase. My personal item, which is a backpack has my prescriptions, sunglasses, laptop and toiletries and a book or two. This is for a relaxing holiday where a lot of time is spent in a bathing suit and I can do laundry if I need to. I know a couple who go on month long trips with only carry-on.

Funkyart thanked nekotish
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I will be able to do laundry — its trying to predict temps and the fancy factor that bogs me down. wearing a jean jacket on the plane is a great idea!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I realize I overpack because I don't plan wisely-- sure, we may have a cool night or a rainy day but it doesn't mean I need 3 options for each scenario. And the fancy factor is just an excuse. I can dress most of my outfits up and down-- plus, we're not terribly fancy people, especially not in the summer.

For 10 days, I had planned 4 dresses, 2 pairs of linen pants, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shorts/skort. I can definitely cut it down to 2 of the most adaptable dresses (maybe 3??) but from there I am having a hard time cutting back and I didn't even start on tops. I feel like I need both blue jeans and white jeans. Maybe I could go with just one pair of linen pants but they are so easy and don't take up space. I think I am definitely going to have to go check out the Travel Fashion Girls lol. I am failing before I even start!

It's a good exercise though. I appreciate the guidance and suggestions! I am looking forward to traveling lighter. (I haven't traveled light since my 20s when I kept a go back in the trunk of my car).

Now to buy a carry on -- I only have 30" suitcases and a huge outdoorsy duffle.

• Allison0704
    10 months ago

I saw a video this week of an IG gal putting items in a OD green hunting/fishing vest that had a lot of pockets. She wore it on the plane. At least it wasn't camo.

Funkyart thanked Allison0704
  • maggieq
    10 months ago

@Allison0704. She also showed an OVERSIZE bra stuff to the gills! Altho she did say that was to show the point, not that she actually did.

Funkyart thanked maggieq
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 months ago

Why take both an iPad and a computer? When I take an iPad, it does everything I need on a trip. Shoes can be put in a cloth bag.

Funkyart thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Sueb20
    10 months ago

I always overpack; I know this bc I always come home and realize I never wore about 1/3 of what I brought. And yet I do it over and over again.

Umm when are you going to Asheville?

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Hi Sue ... hoping to overlap your stay but definitely in Oct. I need to work my vacation schedules around my work schedule. A few technical work things are still up in the air (and out of my control) but I am shooting for a drink with you! 😎

Cyn, I am a technical manager. I need my computer to pop on a few work video calls and do some minor work ... I read on my ipad and it will come with me some days.

LOL Allison and Maggieq! I am not a hunting vest gal -- but I absolutely wear a denim jacket on the plane. I get cold and it will be very flexible for cool mornings and nights. I had planned both a sweater and a jean jacket and I've trimmed it down to just the jean jacket! Baby steps.

• Kswl
    10 months ago

I can pack a single carryon for a week or ten days assuming we’re touring and there’s no laundry. However, for longer trips, even with laundry, I want a 24” checked suitcase and a small carryon with necessities and an extra outfit. Over the course of three weeks I need at least three pairs of shoes— two for day and one for evening. I can be comfortable without sacrificing style if I plan carefully. If you don’t look cute, what’s the point of packing anything?

One other thing I will just mention, and that is that no amount of Febreeze can remove perspiration odor from clothes. I have stood in line at museums and other places enough times to know.

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

If you don’t look cute, what’s the point of packing anything?

exactly!!

I can't imagine traveling for more than 10 days until I am retired. For this 10-day trip, I will have laundry, an iron and steamer. I am sure I can manage this trip with some thoughtful planning and a bunch of jewelry and watches to mix it up with accessories! I am not as confident with a week-long cold weather trip. One step at a time!

• deegw
    10 months ago

I alluded to this above but I think it bears repeating. It doesn't matter what you have in your suitcase if you get separated from it.

I just did a marathon trip and went through 8 different airports. Between severe weather, tight connections, and staffing issues, I saw a lot of unhappy people, long lines at "help" counters, and stacks of checked bags waiting to be reunited with their owners.

Tight connections are a choice obviously but I felt sorry for people who follow the airline's flight suggestions and have to scramble to make other plans. Delta offered me a 36-minute connection in ATL. Ha.

Funkyart thanked deegw
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

good point-- and I absolutely picked up on your earlier hint. My first career was with the airlines and now 30 yr later, it's much worse than it ever was.

I have the luxury of a direct flight on this trip-- I have fewer options but why would i want to spend 6hr traveling when I can do it in 1.5 hr?!

• Kitchenwitch111
    10 months ago

I’m not sophisticated but I don’t travel with more than I can carry by myself. I usually stay at Airbnbs and not at a hotel where someone will carry my bags. We usually use public transportation and even with my boyfriend to help me, he has his own bags and we have to be quick getting on and off trains. I am a casual dresser and we don’t go to fancy places so comfort clothes are all we take and knits don’t need an iron, but a hairdryer can do some magic if necessary! It can be boring to wear the same clothes all the time but I’ve found that no matter how much I pack I usually wear the same few things anyway!

We’re heading to Ireland next week for 10 days and I’ll have a carry-on bag and a tote bag that I’ll use when sightseeing along with a small crossbody bag. My hair is not high maintenance so the toiletries and hairdryer at our rentals will be fine. I only wear mascara and lipstick, so no big make-up bag. There will be washing machines in our rentals but there are few clothes dryers in Europe so you have to plan ahead on that (especially jeans!). If I need anything else I’ll buy it there!

Funkyart thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • bbstx
    10 months ago

I often rely on The Vivienne Files 4x4 template to pack. https://www.theviviennefiles.com/four-by-four-wardrobes/

A Four by Four Wardrobe is a 16-piece group of clothes chosen four pieces at a time:

• four pieces in the first neutral color (called a Core of Four),
    • four pieces in the 2nd neutral color (also known as a Core of Four),
    • four pieces which combine the neutrals (called The Expansion Four, because it expands your options to combine the two neutrals),
    • and finally four accent items (called The Mileage Four, because it gives you enough “tops” to be able to wear the “bottoms” in your wardrobe more frequently, and not do laundry constantly).

Here she has done a black and white 4x4 wardrobe

Obviously, you can fill in whatever. I find the template to be a helpful guide to organizing and coordinating.

I just came back from my trip where I checked a bag and did not use the 4x4 template. I bought back unworn: 2 pair of pants, 4 shirts, and 2 dresses.

Would you feel better about packing your shoes if you put them in plastic grocery sacks instead of cloth shoe mitts?

For shoes, I generally wear a pair of trainers; carry Rothy’s flats or dressy flat sandals, depending on the season, and a pair of flat rubber shoes that can be worn on a beach.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I am familiar with the viveinne files but the strategy seems soooo restrictive to me .. i am definitely a mood dresser lol. It also seems like it would be hard to fit all those pieces in a carry on-- of course, i have never tried so I may be full of it.

Not sure about other trips but this coming trip, I will need very good sneakers, slightly nicer sneakers (my superga slipons), a pair of fitflop slides (not small or dainty) and slippers. I may just ship a pair of slippers there. It's a lot but I need sturdier shoes. I'd like to take a smaller, cuter shoe but that is the non-essential of the 4.

I will be fine with shoe bags or plastic bags (because I am a class act lol) .. I just need to get over myself and my foot thing. I put shoes in bags in with my clothes before ... that's actually worse than putting them with my laptop but for some reason, it bothers me more. Just my quirk.

• bbstx
    10 months ago

On our trip to Italy, one couple’s luggage did not make it until they were 4 days into their trip. That was a direct flight. Coming home, it got lost completely and has not been seen in 3 weeks.

If you are going to check a bag, at least get an AirTag or a Tile so you’ll know where it is lost.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • bbstx
    10 months ago

Funky, can you wear your slides as slippers instead of packing slippers? In the alternative, can you dedicate a pair of socks to being your slippers, maybe something with grippers on the bottom?

Can your ”mood dressing” be satisfied with scarves and jewelry?

ETA. I noticed that linen pants do not pack all that small, but they sure are cool to wear! Actually of all of the pants that I took with me, the Eileen Fisher stretch crepe pants (1 black and 1 white) were the most serviceable. They were not hot and they washed nicely and dried relatively quickly.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

yes-- absolutely jewelry help serve my need for mood dressing! I am opting out on scarves I think -- though subject to change my mind lol.

My slides have a platform heel.. not food for slippers. I have become sooooo tied to my slippers i am not sure i can switch to socks and be happy. Maybe.

I am surprised that your linen pants didn't pack small. Just for overnights, I pack EF linen pants and roll them and they become very small. Maybe beause there's no zipper, etc. It's the jeans that take up a lot of space for me... but I know we're going to some wildlife preserves and hikes etc so I don't want to cut back on them. In fact, I was considering doubling up on blue jeans and dropping the white (much as I love them).

I need to wait for my luggage to arrive so i can test out what will fit. At this point, I am totally guessing.

• eld6161
    10 months ago

A women shared how she puts tops in a neck pillow.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Lol thats awesome

• Kswl
    10 months ago

A women shared how she puts tops in a neck pillow.

That’s ridiculous. Can you imagine how wrinkled they were when she reached her destination?

• bbstx
    10 months ago

Funky, would these slippers work for you? https://www.serenaandlily.com/products/st-helena-spa-slippers/379976?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnf-kBhCnARIsAFlg4904jgGOPV2Z28osq8QarLCE1DQdr865ZNNNttxz5YFdFveX2QxMv2AaAu43EALw_wcB

I think the stories of photography vests, hunting vests, stuffed bras, and stuffed neck pillows are for those who are trying to game the system when they buy seats that don’t include luggage. I can’t imagine it otherwise.

• eld6161
    10 months ago

I think so too. Yet, I don't fault them for it.

• roarah
    10 months ago

Years ago I did a capsule wardrobe when studying abroad and needed to be able to carry everything myself when trekking about in a rucksack. It really enlightened me how easy life is with less choices. Five tops and five bottoms, a dress and two jackets that can all work together is more than thirty outfits. So three tops and three bottoms and a dressy option is mire than enough for ten days. One dress shoe and one walking shoe is usually all I need too.

I now only keep a 40 inch wide pax worth of clothes and dressing is so easy. My capsule wardrobe is not at all generic and I honestly get strangers approaching me all the time about my clothes so a capsule does not need to be basics only.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

My daily wardrobe is smaller than the capsule wardrobe above most weeks -- but this is vacation. 10 days of date days/nights. I don't want the restrictions. Now, HE lives in a capsule wardrobe 24/7/365 but i think that's the case with many men.

Bbstx, I love that style for summer -- I have a turkish towel pair now but love the price and that they are slim for packing. Thank you!

ETA - glad I checked sizing. I am used to L or XL for my size 10 feet but this is unisex sizing!

But I caught myself before I hit send.. $19 shipping? Did I hit a wrong button somewhere?? That's insane!

• bbstx
    10 months ago

$19 shipping???? Did you accidentally add a sofa to your order?

• bbstx
    10 months ago

Five pair for the same price and free delivery

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

LOL Bbstx. It's cray-cray!

I saw those on amazon but they look a little more flimsy than I want. I saw PB had some slippers on sale (didn't check them out yet) and I could get another pair of what I am wearing here at home. I am not going to stress it. I am sure I'll find something. Thanks though!

• LynnNM
    10 months ago

Ohhh, I am loving this thread! And, oh, do I need it!

This is honestly how I pack for trips (and please don't laugh too loudly): I haul out our collapsible banquet table from the storage closet, set it up in front of our bedroom door wall and start laying out folded clothes that I am thinking about taking. At least one week in advance, but with this upcoming Fall trip to Alaska, I'll definitely be starting at least two weeks before! And then, I cull the outfits down, day by day, until I feel like I can make do with just that amount. If I don't do this, I'll end up with 3 suitcases! I have learned over the years to wear my heaviest coat and shoes on the planes to save space.

I do keep the book(s) I'm reading on Kindle and can read them via my cell phone. That does save space.

I keep a carry-on travel bag in our bedroom closet that has most of my cosmetics, small travel-size shampoo, dry shampoo, brush, comb, toothbrush, jewelry roll, travel hair setter and travel hair dryer, etc. in it, along with storage cubes to use if I choose. I started keeping that bag after DD ended up in the ER while in grad school up in Colorado Springs one night at 11PM. DH and I had to throw together everything to take in like 30 minutes and then drive all through the night to get up there! Never again will I be caught unawares like that if I can help it!

Funkyart thanked LynnNM
  • LynnNM
    10 months ago

To save even more room when packing for a trip, my DH gifted me with this great little booklight today. It’s only 5.5” tall, adjustable with two light intensities, as well as a pale yellow light setting. He found it on Amazon

Funkyart thanked LynnNM
  • maddielee
    10 months ago

Nice gift Lynn. Do you pack real, actual books?

A kindle or the kindle app on an ipad can carry a whole library. No reading light needed.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

haha Lynn ... i do similar to you except I don't do much of the culling part. I am glad I am thinking about it now-- I have weeks to actually cull (at least mentally).

Your trip sounds great .. I haven't known anyone to not love a trip to Alaska!

• jill302
    10 months ago

When traveling with my girl friends I typically travel COO but usually our trips are at most 10 days. I do pack a wardrobe similiar to the Vivienne Files 4 x 4 plan, with more jewelry. This works fairly well for me, the jewelry really helps me change the mood of my outfits. When traveling with DH on longer trips, he refuses to attempt COO. He does have to bring bulky medical supplies for two seperate conditions, so that is a good part of it. Although the airlines will generally allow him an additional CO bag to accomodate his supplies, he does not want to deal with another CO bag. Usually we check one bag and CO everything else. Packing the checked bag with clothing and non-medical items we can get by without for the first couple of days, just in case the bag goes missing. We have been lucky so far, we have had one bag delayed and it was on the trip home.

Funkyart thanked jill302
  • jill302
    10 months ago

Want to mention I always bring 2 pairs of walking shoes. I have experienced broken in, but not old, walking shoes failing; causing blisters where I never had a problem before. Another trip the sole came off my shoe. Do not want to be stuck with finding or wearing new shoes if I will be doing a lot of walking.

If I take flip-flops they serve as my slippers too, cooler climates I have managed to get my slippers in my bag. I place all my shoes in plastic bags before they are packed. Not a foot thing, more who knows what germs have been where I have stepped thing.

Funkyart thanked jill302
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    10 months ago

I am not one of the better packers. I have an Eileen Fisher black skirt in a stretchy fabric which is super compact and easy to plan around.

I now only keep a 40 inch wide pax worth of clothes and dressing is so easy.

This is a goal of mine! I am not there yet :-(

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Jill302, that's a wise suggestion re: walking shoes! I don't know how much rigorous walking we'll do but it is a goal. I am hoping my new glasses will make it easier and possible. I have never liked flip flops for slippers but maybe just for this trip. I can also have some shipped there. I am actually considering the same for some of my other daily use items (though what, I am not sure other than coffee).

Zalco, how nice to have such an easily adapted piece -- I think EF is good for that!

I tend not to wear skirts-- I'll always reach for a dress first but I did order a skort to try (not sure I am ready to bare thighs to the world but we'll see) and, really, most of my clothes are adaptable just not "super compact".

One thing that is great about carry on only is that I don't have to buy anything new-- not that I HAD to otherwise but it is usually tempting for me to buy new things for a trip. Ive been on a buying slowdown until I lose more weight so that will keep me on track. I DO need to buy some bras that fit better but that's the only necessity.

I am taking a page from the Mtnrd (and others) playbook and I am starting a spreadsheet. It should definitely help identify the essentials and optionals ... and prevent the last minute add-ons that overfill my luggage!

• Kswl
    10 months ago

In hot weather prefer skirts as they are so much easier (and breezier!) and cuter than shorts. And unless its the hottest part of the year I take EF skirted leggings everywhere I go. They are comfy, provide coverage, and are great looking with a sleeveless linen camp shirt and sandals or a turtleneck and flats and most everything in between.

• Tina Marie
    10 months ago

I had to look up the skirted leggings. I don't think I could ever wear those. Actually, I've never seen them on anyone. I rarely wear dresses/skirts, but I think that would be breezier/cooler than skirted leggings. Maybe they are just not popular in my area? I wear longer shorts at home, the lake, beach, etc. but otherwise not out in public.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I think they are adorable -- Ive definitely seen them worn around town but more so in the fall and spring. I don't think they'd look nice on my current body shape but I'd give them a try.

I love the look with a sweater and booties ...

• nini804
    9 months ago

I am on a 12 day trip in Italy now! (it’s close to midnight here and dh just hit the hay…but I’m not sleepy & surfing the wifi!🤣) Dh is very much a COO guy since he travels so much for work…but he knew not to even try to restrict me on my first Italian holiday. 😊

I put my outfits and cosmetics in my biggest suitcase (won’t even tell you how many bc it’s so ridiculous, lol,) and filled my carry-on with shoes 🤣. Just shoe bag after shoe bag of shoes, plus my chargers and a small bag with travel contact stuff, toothbrush, and deodorant just in case! (We are located close to a hub city so are fortunate to fly direct in most cases, I don’t have a huge fear of lost luggage, but better safe than sorry.)

I did use one of those Lululemon crossbody bags as my purse/ personal item…and I can’t recommend it enough. It’s very roomy, with interior mesh pockets and a zippered exterior pocket. It fits my passport, phone, a flat credit card wallet thing (very useful), sunglasses (in a soft case, not the hard case), lipstick and reading glasses in the outside pocket. Best purchase for travel, ever. I also put air tags in everything!

I guess I wasn’t super helpful about helping with your COO situation, but wanted you to feel better about overpacking! I just like my stuff, and options. I know I wouldn’t be happy without all the cute shoes, and I think we get a couple of free checked bags on American anyway bc of dh’s miles status…he just hates waiting at baggage.

Anyway, getting sleepy now, lol. Have a fun trip! Ciao!

Funkyart thanked nini804
  • salonva
    9 months ago

I haven't done Carry on only since I was in college ( I think about that- 6 weeks with a little tote bag!) but I wanted to stress the obvious . Checked luggage does get lost and certainly delayed. I've had it happen 3 times that I can remember and not all were connecting flights. With that, I ALWAYS make sure that my carry on plus personal bag contains toiletries, something to sleep in, and at least 2 days of outfits. When we had our luggage delayed about 15 years ago going to Madrid, DH was so thankful that I made him follow that rule. The bags were only delayed a day, but we had peace of mind and didn't have to worry about it.

On our most recent trip to Italy in May, we were fine but someone in our group had their luggage delayed like 6 days out of a 10 day trip. They dealt with it better than I might have. :)

I tend to take more than i need but not overly so. This time, I took less than usual ( but still didn't wear everything). I found it kind of freeing in the morning to not have so many choices. I was so glad I remembered several dresses I had in my closet as they are so comfy and easy to wear.( and compact ).

Funkyart thanked salonva
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 months ago

LOL Nini.. have a wonderful trip and thank you!

I was very close to caving earlier tonight ... but I want to give it a try. This trip is to be very relaxed and very easy ... and it's August. I will have light fabrics and unbulky clothing.

So we'll see .. I'll give it a trial run and see how much I can fit into one of those tiny carryon bags. If that stresses me out, I'll rethink the plan.

Thanks all!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I have to fess up ... I am giving up on the idea of carryon only travel. I had been on the fence to begin with and my sister tipped me over to checking my luggage when she said that 10 days worth of product in small bottles was going to kill the space in my bag. She's right-- and I have a fairly low maintenance routine. Also, some of my products don't come small enough and would be a challenge to decant into bottles.. shave cream, thickening tonic, facial wash. They can be decanted but the clear bottle delivery systems aren't as good. Too much hassle for too little gain.

And then there's the shoes. I want options .. and slippers!

So there it is ...

It also saves me buying a carryon bag (for now).

• roarah
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I always buy products when i get to my destination to avoid a potential leak issue staining items in check in or carry on bags. I am a minimalist with product and makeup though so YMMV

Funkyart thanked roarah
  • bbstx
    9 months ago

Instead of carrying shaving cream, I buy the Venus razor blades with soap/gel bars integrated into the head.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • 4kids4us
    9 months ago

I haven't used shaving cream in years! I get a nice lather up with bar soap and use that on my legs/armpits.

I bought this toiletry bag for all my 3 oz "liquids" - it holds more than a quart size ziploc for TSA purposes. I haven't checked luggage in years but haven't traveled abroad in a while. For travel in the U.S., I know if I've forgotten something or need something I didn't bring, I'll be able to find something that will do at my destination. I travel with a backpack and a rolling carryon. I put this toiletry bag in my backpack so it's easy to find when I go thru security.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFQZLXK5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Funkyart thanked 4kids4us
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    9 months ago

Funky, I cannot even hold the delusion a carryon can make me happy, unless it's a long weekend, in the summer.

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks all-- I DO appreciate your ideas and suggestions for how to make it work but for this trip, I will pass.

I have very specific products I like to use-- I can use something else for a day or two but for 10 days, I want my stuff. It will be expensive to replace when I get there and some items I'd have to ship there. Just not worth the hassles for me.

I am a mood reader, eater and dresser .. I like options. And for this visit, especially, options will be appreciated.

That said, I will be taking a long weekend in the fall -- a better opportunity to give it a try!