Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

black vine weevil active on rhodies

Marie Tulin
10 months ago

Now that isotox is off the market what can we use to stop black vine weevils damaging rhodies?

The critters are really doing a number on this broad leaved evergreen.

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

You are not going to like my comments.......I don't suggest doing much, if anything.😕

The PNW is rhododendron country - they are in almost every garden and commercial planting, this is home to the Rhododendron Species Foundation and Botanical Garden and it is the state 'flower' of Washington. And weevils - several different species - are one of the few problematic issues encountered here with rhodies. But because these insects are so prevalent - they feed on numerous native plant species as well - they are almost impossible to control.

One option is to replace bothered plants with those that are resistant to weevil predation. Not all rhododendron species and cultivars are equally appealing to the weevils and numerous popular selections have proven to be relatively weevil resistant - any with very fuzzy leaves (like the yakushimanum hybrids), the PJM group choices, Sappho, Dora Amateis, Odee Wright, Cream Crest and Oceanlake for starters. I used to suggest to my clients to use the 10 foot rule - if you stand 10 feet away from the rhody in question and the weevil damage is barely visible, ignore.. If in a very visible position, consider removal and replacement.

The weevil damage is almost entirely cosmetic. Weevil larvae rarely bother the roots of established rhodies (although they can be an issue with a few other popular plants). Notches on the leaves are not going to cause any serious issues.

If you really want to control these insects, you need a multi-pronged approach.

• 1) Use Tanglefoot or other sticky tape around the base of the plant to prevent the night active weevils from climbing up to feed. This will only work if the plant in question cannot be accessed from another adjacent plant or structure (side of house, fence, deck, etc.).
    • 2) Spray with a product containing acephate (Orthene). Acephate is an organophosphate so never my first choice for treatment.
    • And finally 3) apply beneficial nematodes to control the weevil larvae. The larvae must be controlled if you have any hope to kill the adults as well, otherwise just more adults will appear.

This article published by the American Rhododendron Society may help: Root Weevils - Troublesome Rhododendron Pests

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 months ago

Gardengal answered this same question for me years ago. They suddenly were attacking my 'Vulcan'. I used approach #3, buying the nematodes from Arbico Organics. Not cheap, but I never had the problem again. Maybe a bite here or there, but gone was the seriously chewed up look.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

GG not the least bothered by ” dont treat” option. they are small but ill make them tough it out. or theyll die. No time for coddling weakings

Do i remember that rjodies in full sun may be more susceptable to bvw?

yes, My yaks and most others

are not bothered. They are pristine though few bloomed this year becsuse of out bizzare and very damaging spring weather phenomenon.

The one i want to save is ”Percy Wiseman” which has proven a weaker plant than i anticipated. Fussy about exposure, lots of branch breakage and die back.It is so lovely; i covet it.

tx for article will read

clarifation: im not mourning isotox being taken off the market. i used it once about 20 years ago and th warnings were so alarming and the smell so vile i never used it again.

interesting article. rather reassuring