Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_76691685

Bookcase Regret Maybe

User
9 months ago

Hello, I need help Please. I just had this bookcase built in my alcove. Did I make a mistake? I will send picture of before and now. Something seems off. Do I need to have the molding on the front bigger. Also, I can see wood under the shelf. Is it supposed to be like that. It just doesn't seem like the room is flowing now that I have made the change.

Please advise! The carpenter is coming back next week and if I need to go back to original I don't mind. Also, getting reeady to have home painted so I need to make a quick decision.

Thank you!

Comments (49)

• artemis78
    9 months ago

I like it—seems a lot more useful than the alcove! Try filling it with books and then assess.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Do you think I need to make molding on front bigger to cover up wood showing under it?

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

If you intend to use it as a book shelf it shouldn't be so deep. That's an easy fix.

TIdy up the underside of the shelves with paint because if you are sliding books in and out of there you want to be able to do it easily.

I think it is a good idea to get the books you want to put in there and see if the shelving spacing works for you. You might do better with 2 shelves, depending on what books you have.

If you mean to use it as a niche for decorative objects, need to figure out the best way to light it.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thank you! I am planning on using it for decor nitch and a few books. Also going to paint it white. I think that's one of the part also I don't like is how it is under the shelves.

• Mrs. S
    9 months ago

Well, it is a shame that your carpenter made the shelves with those small pieces of wood underneath. it is amateur-ish. Those shelves can be rebuilt with hidden supports. Id link photos and YouTube videos but cant do it on my ipad. The shelves are a nice idea, but they could be so much better.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thats how I feel. I'm going to have to get him to remove them cause I'm looking to sell in a few years and I can't sell like that and I'm not happy myself with it. I'm so grateful for honesty. I thought it was just me. I rather keep as an alcove instead of how it looks now. I have no peace. And the other decorator is right. It deep and I didn't realize it until the shelves went in.

• Kendrah
    9 months ago

It looks like the work of a novice, but it is not going to make or break the sale of your house. I like the idea of shelves there but it is crammed with two shelves. You are going to have to place very small objects in there. I'd rip out the shelves. Have one place in the middle, and have them more professionally constructed. Paint the entire space - underside of the shelves included, in your wall color.

• maggieq
    9 months ago

Niche will not make or break a sale, but it is awkward. I would drywall over and do away with the niche - now is the time when you are going to paint.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    9 months ago

Definitely a do-over for all the reasons stated above.

Also, I'd paint the entire bookshelf, inside and out, the same color as the wall.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thank you all for your wisdom and advice.

• pkpk23
    9 months ago

I'd rip out and restore to flat drywall. Even if amateur construction was repaired, think size and height both off and detract from fireplace wall.

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

Try visualizing a change for that entire wall. Picture the niche gone / drywalled over & the mirror over fireplace replaced by a great pice of art - the entire space & wall might look much more interesting. Might even allow for different furniture placement with a complete wall to left of fireplace. I see another shallower niche in the hallway - are two needed so close together? If a mirror over FP is your preference I like the windowpane mirror better. I don’t dislike mirrors over FP’s it’s that I think they’re only effective in very large & more formal spaces & should reflect something great like a huge chandelier hanging in the very large room. For more cozy spaces like your (and mine), art has so much more impact & adds personality to the room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 months ago

IMO this is what usually happens when shelving is added for no real purpose. I would have closed the alcoves instead since usually they are a dated look .

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    9 months ago

The glaring white trim is grabbing my eye - I see that trim was on the niche before the shelves were added though. I just don’t like that trim highlighted.

If you have just one shelf installed professionally I think that would be ok. As long as nothing is white.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Does anyone have pictures of a bookcase with the one shelf. I have been looking and I can't seem to find a site with it. I'm looking at all options now. And thank you all for helping me and not making me feel bad. I'm already sad about it even been tearful. So, I'm trying to find that middle ground between my husband and I because he like it with the shelves but not the botched work. And he is ok with the one shelf. Just as long as it looks nice. And I can see the vision of so many that have spoken. But any pictures that will be better that what it is.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hello, first of all I would like to thank all of you for your advice and kindness. I'm coming to say my regret has turn into joy. The carpenter probably hadn't even pulled out of my driveway yet. But I wanted to come on and say I'm so happy with my bookcase/deoor space now. My husband and I decided to go with this look after looking at so many online. It flows well with fireplace and our open living room. He is going to come back next with and put the same border around one in hall. I'm so grateful for all the designers and decorators here. I took all the advice into consideration, and it help me to make the right decision for us. I'm still going to incorporate some of the other ideas that were mentioned in my next project on the decorating side. My next step is to have our home painted. I have also finalized the paint colors which was very hard. But I have peace! I just want my home to feel cozy and homey until we make up our mind rather to sell. The escape gray will be accent color, gossamer veil whole house color and extra white trim.

• Mrs. S
    9 months ago

You did a great job! It's a good feeling to accomplish your vision! Congrats on choosing paint colors, too!

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Mrs. S. Thank you so much! I can sleep tonight.

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

China bell, Your completed shelving looks great! Very finished look to it which it didn’t have with shelves only. Great idea too that you’re doing the same thing with the hall niche since both areas can be seen at same time. That definitely will unify them & prevent the busy appearance of two different finish approaches - if that makes sense.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thank you for confirming about the other niche. Sometimes I can second guess myself. Being open to suggestions of others has really built my confidence and if you don't succeed at first. Keep believing! You see I have lots of health issues and doing something that brought me joy has given me hope that one day I will completely be healed. So that's one of the reason I'm so grateful.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

This is the finished look of the other one! I'm so very satisfied. Thanks again!

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

China bell - I thought you were going to put shelves in the 2nd niche too & I liked that idea. Now that I see what you’ve done I think this is so much better! It really looks nice. Will you put the same vase on metal stand back in or maybe change it out to something else? Lots of options!

• Holly- Kay
    9 months ago

Very nice finished project China Bell.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I'm smiling because I had a team of experts to coach me. The more I look at it. I really wanted the middle one to be different. I wanted the option as you said KW PNWZ8 the options of doing something different. I'm going to also paint it the green paint color inside of it. My question now is do I paint the white trim the same as the walls and fireplace or paint it the same color as trim extra white. Also, we decided to change the color to Accessible beige instead of the Gossamer Veil. We brought some paint and painted white canvas pieces and placed them all over the house with both colors. But the more I look at it after about 2 weeks. I like the Accessible beige better.

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

China bell, thinking about your paint plans. I’m a little confused but that’s my usual state! Really great that you took time to really try out the colors around your house in different lighting & times of day. That’s so worth the trouble. My first thought is that the interiors of both the niche & shelving - their back & side walls - may be better in the lighter color - I think that’s the Accessible Beige you plan. For the trim - I would paint it to match the rest of your trim - extra white. My confusion is where the Escape Grey will be used. Is there an accent wall?

ETA - am I very confused & those 3 colors are for the exterior of your home? I see a mention of green for interior. If I’m confused, ignore what I said above.

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    9 months ago

It's fantastic that you asked for assistance! Before making a choice, let's address your worries. Please share the images with me so I can better comprehend the situation. The visible wood under the shelf may need to be improved, and the moulding may need to be adjusted for better proportion. It is essential to evaluate the entire flow. I'll give you more specific suggestions after I view the pictures so you can choose wisely before the carpenter comes back. With the impending home painting, time is of the essence, therefore let's collaborate to discover the ideal answer as soon as possible.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I was planning on painting an accent wall in my master bedroom, master bath and inside of the bookcase, the alcove with frame around it the green color. But after my realtor came over yesterday. He suggested painting the inside all one neutral color and do trim in white. Basically getting it ready for selling but enjoying the fresh look while still living here. And bring in more pop of color through accessories and begin to declutter. So I will be painting it Accessible beige with the white trim.  This will make it look allot brighter with a cozy look especially with the color of my floors.Thanks again! I'm so sorry if I caused any confusion. Lawd knows, I have caused myself to much.

• KW PNW Z8
    9 months ago

China bell, I think your realtor gave you great advice! Using the one wall color & white trim will create a nice room to room flow & also a good back drop for furnishings and accessories. My home is done that way so I know the effect that will be created. What I’ve also learned from using a simple paint color scheme throughout my home is that I’m able to easily move both art & accessories from one room to another. I have a unified color scheme throughout so pillows, throws, small pieces work in many different places. I do like moving things around for a change in perspective!

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thank you so much KW PNW Z8. I'm well pleased and now I can move forward. I'm with you with using what I have to make a change when needed. And he was so nice about it. He sold us this home and will be the one to sell it. He is truthful and very honest. And listens to my Husband and I to bring clarity and peace for what's best for our home and our future retirement home. We are all in agreement and ready to move forward. I feel a sense of excitement and newness in my spirit and this journey.

• judygilpin
    9 months ago

I think the molding is what makes it look wrong and not well crafted. Also the shelf supports should NOT show. It makes the project look DYI. Sorry to be so brutal, but I wouldn't pay the person who did that job.

• reich1
    9 months ago

Paint the underside of the sheles the same color as the shelf. Get some battery operted LED puck lights or strip lights on Amazon (that come with a remove control) if you want to illuminate. I think the shelves look great and so much mre functional!

• terrib962
    9 months ago

The warmth of books will make it better. And trim around the outside in a darker color than the walls in same color tone - or natural wood varnished would be better - adding same around the window and doors. There are more problems with that room than the new bookcase. In the photos, the wall colors make the walls look dirty when my guess is they are not - just a bad color choice. Needs a brighter color choice - unless it is just the camera. Also the modern look of the room/house clashes with the more tradition style of the sofas. Wood trim (4-6" wide) around doors and windows will warm the room up and make it look better - like in a nice old house. New modern houses are usually cold and uninviting and unless they are warmed up with traditional old-style design and elements. Looks like this is a new house (1965+). And the floors are not real wood - that adds to the problem and makes the room look cheap. Good try tho.

• Lynne
    9 months ago

Wow, do some of you ever read all the comments? If you had you would find out the homeowners are painting the walls, niches in a neutral tone with white trim. The homeowners are very happy with the results and will be selling in the future. I think the end results are an improvement and wish them well on their next phase of life.

• rainigirl
    9 months ago

I am sorry, but have to agree with all the comments about the very shoddy install on this project. Adding more, larger, whatever, is only going to make it worse. Painting it white will make it the elephant in the room. What is that extra trim piece on the bottom, and why is there only quarter rounds on the bottom shelf? Tacky!!

• judygilpin
    9 months ago

@Lynne, It doesn't matter if they're painting in rich neutral & white colors or not. The trim on the niche is not well done. It looks like a very amateur installation. Paint of any color will not correct that. This is a place to give honest opinions and suggestions so the person asking can get help. Not an "I want you to feel good" answer. Read @raingirl's answer. She gave an appropriate & honest answer, as did I.

• MB Higgins
    9 months ago

The fact that the shelves are not centered on the wall looks odd and the initial shelving that the carpenter did was very poorly done. The shelf supports should not show and the trim is also terrible. I don't think paint will help this at all. I wish you luck.

• aniluap2
    9 months ago

Those with negative comments should scroll further down to look at the modifications that were made, the face molding on the shelves now hides the underside supports and paint DOES MASK many imperfections. I think it will look just fine for resale and if you happen to purchase house you can modify to your own preferences.

• judygilpin
    9 months ago

@aniluap, Do you mean the photo that has square molding at the top and round at the bottom????? " Masking imperfections" is NOT the correct solution.

• MB Higgins
    9 months ago

aniluap2 I read all of the comments and still think the job looks poorly done, very amateurish. Judygilpin is correct, masking imperfections is NOT the solution.

• User
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thank you for your opinions but I love them. And the nasty opinions that was made. Makes me love them even more. Nothing is perfect in this world. Not even us! So let's be nice!

• anisa2811
    9 months ago

I would make them part of the niche, same color and flush in the outside part and would put just one shelve! Two seems to small space for putting things and also two deep!

• aniluap2
    9 months ago

For those of you who have nothing nice to say as the saying goes say nothing. I try to live by the golden rule and not judge others by what my particular standards. China bell is trying to sell her home to someone who may make decisions on renovation that are very different. I am sure she does not want to invest more money on something that is so trivial and will not increase the net gain from the sale of her home.

• judygilpin
    9 months ago

@aniluap2, I also live by the Golden Rule. If someone is unsure and asks a question, I give them an honest answer. I don't sugar coat things so I don't hurt their feelings. The truth is always the most helpful answer. Also, I must mention that I am a retired Interior Designer. Worked in that field for many, many years, so I do know what I'm talking about. @China bell, the only thing I ask is why did you even bother with doing anything to this niche if you're selling your home? Good luck with your move.

• rainigirl
    9 months ago

I think this article is about supporting the original author's decision on what she did and not about what may be the the best choice. Case closed:)

• Clifton cannon
    9 months ago

Thank you rainigirl, you spoke up and spoke out. You spoke Truth! Some of you on here are so rude and ugly. Your choice of words and your need to get your point across was very offensive and uncalled for. She reached out for help and admitted to her mistakes. But to be attacked about her home and the choice she made was not professional at all. One of you on here said you were retired Interior Designer. Well, I think you need to stay in retirement. Because this is not what this site is all about. And your buddy that joined in on the attack. I wonder when she is retiring. Beating down people is not nice and downright ugly. On one of her comments, I read that she has an illness and doing this also made her feel good and gave her hope. She was always so humble in thanking everyone for their help. Well, I wonder if she still has hope. Because this made me mad. I wish Houzz would have stiffer rules on know-it-all decorators on here. I'm a man and not sensitive at all, but I hate rude people. Hell, I can't decorate. Thats the reason I come on here to get advice. People Please be nice and helpful not harmful. And China Bell. Yes, I saw your regret. But you corrected it and you said you love it then I'm happy for you. I think once you get your home painted. It's going to be more beautiful. You already have a lovely home. Your second choice got me thinking about doing the same thing. Now as rainigirl said case closed!

• rainigirl
    9 months ago

Clifton cannon, I appreciate your kind words, but, had you read my original post you would not be thinking so highly of me. Having said that, my last post was "tongue- in- cheek". People come on Houzz for advice or not really. People speak their mind and everyone jumps all over them. If you just want support go to an AA meeting. And, you think peoples comments should be removed because "You" don't think their very nice. Really? How do you like me now? LOL!!

• judygilpin
    9 months ago

@Clifton cannon, I'm the retired Interior Designer I'm sure you are referring to as rude. I offered advise on the question the lady asked. on this project. I was neither rude or beating up on anyone. I just offered my professional opinion. If a person doesn't want to hear a truthful answer/opinion, they shouldn't ask. That, my friend, is what this blog is all about. Please remember many times the written word doesn't come across in the same way a face to face conversation does. The same words may be used in person but not come across as rude as face to face has feeling and empathy where the online comment doesn't. My remarks DID NOT attack China bell . If she thought so, it was definitely not intended. The intention was to help her fix something that she apparently thought was wrong. You are wrong about what this sight is meant for. People ask for advice for a problem and I think are looking for a solution to choose from.. It seems that we are raising an overly sensitive society nowadays. That is not productive or sensible. Have empathy, but tell the truth even if it may hurt a little or may not be exactly what you want to hear.. BTW, I had a very successful career, and my clients loved my help solving their design issues/problems. Have a good day everyone.

• Josée Sévigny
    9 months ago

I would not frame it with any moulding and I would have the front of each shelf flat. Would make everything look more contemporary.