Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_705292920

Final paint colour choices for bathroom

Angela Wilcox
9 months ago

Hi all!
I've narrowed down to two BM choices for my bathroom. I've attached the following colours in different lights. Which one looks better in most lighting situations? 1) November Rain 2) Hollingsworth green. On a separate note I am contemplating at least having the painter removing the chair rails. Or is it not a big deal to leave? Thoughts?

Comments (59)

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    9 months ago

That is very helpful! I can tell from that that I don't really like the November rain with it.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I have pale oak painted in the main interior areas. This is a sample I had up the other day but I don't think I like it in the bathroom area. I like the Hollingsworth green and I can see what you mean by saying that it makes the tiles look more pink.

• texmax13
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

If you want a neutral, I think Pale Oak would work great. If you want a pop of color than go with Hollingsworth. You’re the only one who can see the colors in your space, in your lighting :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 months ago

Hollingsworth.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

texmax13 - Are you able to do one of those side by side sample pics with sea pearl?

• texmax13
    8 months ago

Seapearl:

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you so much! That doesn't make the floors pink like some other colours do.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

I agree, plays nicely with the wood, counter top and floor (at least in pictures).

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I just realized it's one shade lighter than pale oak which I have painted in my main interior.

• texmax13
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Just because it’s on the same paint card, doesn’t necessarily mean that the colors are varying shades of one another. Both Pale Oak and Seapearl are in the yellow hue family but Seapearl is closer to the green end, is lighter and less chromatic (more neutral/gray)

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Interesting! I just learnt something new.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

My painter came through with the seapearl sample and I had them paint a swatch near the tiles and near the counter. I'm not too sure if it's too white or not. It could be me just not used to see a bright colour in the bathroom lol.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

I have a very similar color in my master bathroom and it definately looks different once it’s on all the walls and with 2 coats. Look at it next to your white door and that should help put things in perspective. I think it would breath some freshness in there, so things don’t feel so heavy with all that wood.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

I found this video:

https://youtu.be/uMYr3kUZsek

• texmax13
    8 months ago

@Angela Wilcox any updates?

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Not yet. We have the painter coming through next Thursday for our nursery but haven't finalized the bathroom. I've been messing around with other samples.i got forever ago. One of them is swiss coffee (left) and the other is French canvas. I'm just trying anything with what I have at this point lol.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

If you’re worried about Seapearl being too light, than I would rule out Swiss Coffee because it’s even lighter. Out of the three, my vote would still be Seapearl; it works best with your woods and floors.

• PRO
    Decorafy
    8 months ago

You might find this helpful for choosing a color for your bathroom. 10 Best Bathroom Paint Colors

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I'll check out to see if I have any samples darker than sepearl. These are samples I had in the bathroom initially before elimination. Ignore the 4th top row. That is the same as 3rd bottom row but was painted directly on the wall.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Oh and Palladian blue.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

Other than Pale Oak and Brittany Blue, what are some other colors you have painted in your home? Sometimes it helps to have a whole home color scheme for cohesion.

Pale Oak, Seapearl, Swiss Coffee, November Rain and French Canvas are all in the Yellow hue family.

October Mist, Saybrook Sage and Hollingsworth are all in the Yellow/Green hue family.

Palladian Blue is in the Green hue family.

Brittany Blue is in the Blue hue family.

There is really no wrong answer here, just personal preferance. If you want to tone down the wood, Seapearl is probably your best bet. If you want the wood to pop, Hollingsworth or Palladian would do the trick.

On another note, does the rest of your house have wood baseboards and crown? If not, I would consider painting those out to match your door casing and then having the chair rail removed. If you don’t have crown in the rest of your house, I would probably remove that as well. There’s an awful lot of elements in a room of this size.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Besides our small bathroom downstairs which is the same colour as this bathroom, we have pale oak in all main areas. In our master bedroom opposite the nursery, we have like a blue/grey. The lounge, half bathroom and kitchen are first level. Full bathroom, master bedroom and nursery are second level. Ignore the dark grey couches. We're moving those out as we just got the sectional.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

In the process of removing the chair rails and repainting the bathroom one wall colour. Thoughts on silver sage? Our painter is helping us choose since I've had a really hard time finding a colour. Sample is below the towel hanger.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

Silver Sage and Hollingsworth are similar in terms of hue family and lightness, but Silver Sage is more neutral. If you want a green, but feel like Hollingsworth is too colorful; then Silver Sage is a good alternative. If Silver Sage feels too muted; Hollingsworth is the answer.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I think I prefer the silver sage over Hollingsworth because I'm worried with the Hollingsworth being too green with the floors.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

So after talking with our painter, we went with Dove wing. It looked much warmer when I painted an actual sample and now I'm second guessing. 😫

• texmax13
    8 months ago

I didn’t even realize Dove Wing was in the running. It may just take you some time to get used to the big change. Do you know what kind of lightbulbs you have in there (soft white, bright white, daylight)? Sometimes changing that will change the look of the color. Painters are great at application, but they aren’t necessarily paint color experts; often time they just make suggestions of popular colors. I personally think it looks ok, you can always choose a more interesting shower curtain and add some art to give it some personality. :)

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

It wasn't in the running until I remembered I had a sample pint from when we were trying to choose the paint for our main interior. 😂 These are the bulbs we have. I'm not sure what they're considered. I don't have all of them on because they're bright.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I'm definitely going to find an interesting curtain! That's my mission for now.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

If you unscrew the bulb there will be numbers listed on there. The color temperature or kelvin is what I’m referring to:

soft white: 2700k

bright white: 3000k

cool white: 4000k

daylight: 5000k

I tend to like my bulbs anywhere between 3000-4000k, 5000k is too blue and 2700k is too yellow for my taste. Curious what bulbs you’re using, if 5000k you may want to adjust that to a warmer bulb.

Also, if you think your bulbs are too bright; you can look for some with lower lumens, those will also be listed on the bulb :)

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Oh yep! I just had the hubby take one down. 5,000k.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

That could definately be contributing to the paint feeling too cool.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I'm going to try ordering bulbs that are 3,000k and try them out! Thanks for suggesting I check them. I never would have thought about it.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I was thinking of a shower curtain maybe in the blue/green family. These ones with sage look nice. Thoughts?

• texmax13
    8 months ago

Yeah, I think green is a good choice since it was a front runner for the wall color, blue would also be pretty. Out of those I like the second one, but it really depends on your personal taste. Here are some more options:

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you so much! I'll got through these. I was thinking blue as an option too.

• cat_ky
    8 months ago

The 5000 bulb is way too cold looking. Its hard to see how the 3000 are without having the bulbs in all the globes. Myself, I would want them all to be around 3500 and the package they come in to say daylight. They seem to be just right. Not too warm, and not too cool.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Definitely agree that the 5000k is too cold. I don't know why I never thought to check the bulbs to be honest. I actually just ordered 3500k bulbs and will be comparing them to the 3000k. I'll take photos of each then with all the bulbs in the globes.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

The 3000k is definitely better than the 5000k. like I said, my personal sweet spot is anywhere between 3000-4000k, so I’ll be interested to see what’s better between 3000 & 3500.

@cat_ky ”daylight” is typically 5000k, 3500-4000k is ”cool white”

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ok just got the 3500k bulbs. Here are the 3500k.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Here are the 3,000k

• texmax13
    8 months ago

Which do you prefer?

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Still trying to decide lol.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Here are some curtains I tried off Amazon with some ideas listed above. I didn't put all the hooks up because I wasn't bothered to do it for each one lol.

• texmax13
    8 months ago

I like all of them. Do you have a favorite?

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Forgot to add this one. I currently don't have a favourite. Have to ponder lol.

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I decided to go with this shower curtain. I'm going to be buying more decorative hanging clips though instead of the white plastic ones that came with it.

• texmax13
    7 months ago

@angel wilcox which bulbs ended up working out best for you?

• Angela Wilcox
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I stuck with the 3,000k!