Houzz Logo Print
gm_2022

Patio or Deck + Patio

g m
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Hi All,

Looking for suggestions on

1. whether to go with two platform landing ( one from family room and one from sun room) to a stone patio or

2. a deck connecting the family room and sun room and then steps to patio. (builder‘s suggestion)

Highly appreciate any feedback/design ideas. Thank you!

Comments (39)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 months ago

I'm not fond of decks. Too much maintenance.

g m thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • millworkman
    8 months ago

How do you intend to use your backyard? How would you use the patio or the deck? What are you planning to put on the patio or the deck? The advantage of a deck is it will basically be a walk out deck and not have steps out the door.

g m thanked millworkman
  • auntthelma
    8 months ago

Our backyard is three tiers, a two tiered deck and a step down to a patio. I wish it were all one level. Sure, multi levels are pleasing to the eye, but they are less versitile for arranging furniture and more difficult to live with as we age.

g m thanked auntthelma
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    8 months ago

Agree with auntthelma. Strive for one level. If you need to have a step-down from your doors, that’s fine. Step-downs at the door are common and expected, while grade changes on the actual living surface can take people by surprise. Plus the obvious limits for furniture placement.

Personally, if I could afford it, I’d go for the solid surface (stone) every time.

g m thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 months ago

I much prefer deck to patios and there are many choices for decking that require little maintenance IMO a deck is more like a continuation of the interior and the bigger the better You have the perfect style od house to have ahuge deck and designed for use just like another house . We have 2200 sq ft of deck it goes arounf the pool all around the house with an outdoor kitchen , DR and a sitting area. Think loang and hard about how you want ot use the spac e. I like a patio away fromm the house for a fire pit if you are wanting one. We made our deck so that it trully is just an extension of the interior so a step out form the doors no steps down

g m thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Maureen
    8 months ago

Perhaps budget wise, get quotes for both and that may help you decide. If not a factor, consider ease/function and how the family will use the space.

g m thanked Maureen
  • g m
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback.

We do plan to have a grill, fire pitt and seating for entertainment in this area during the summers (we are in Boston area) In the prior house, we did have.a deck off of the sun room with grill, chairs and hammock.

My initial thoughts were to go with patio, but am also open to having a deck + patio. My builder suggested the cost would be very similar, but will get quotes for both options.

• AnnKH
    8 months ago

My initial reaction was Deck, for the reasons mentioned above. But it looks like some backfill and a patio could reduce the height to only 2 steps, which don't take up much room. In that case, I'd pave all the way to the retaining wall. If not for the fire pit, or if there is a spot a bit away from the house for it (perhaps on the other side of the sun room?), I would go with a deck.

g m thanked AnnKH
  • Maureen
    8 months ago

It’s important to figure out flow: dining, seating, firepit. Then deciding on materials/design/access to meet these needs will be easier. Consider what is the safest configuration as well.

For instance, large pavers or gravel for fire pit can save money (put into landscaping) and locate in a safer area on its own.

g m thanked Maureen
  • auntthelma
    8 months ago

In Maureen’s insperation pic, perfect example of my premise. Three areas, so pretty and beautifully organized. But the dining area is several steps up from the sitting area with no railing on the stairs. I would have a hard time using those stairs because I have aged. I would be so stressed watching a three year old on those stairs!

multi level patios are beautiful to look at, but are rarely practical to live in.

g m thanked auntthelma
  • g m
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thannke Maureen and aunthelma.

I am thinking of going with a platform with steps to patio as in this pic.

This will give more space for patio ( about 450 sq ft) with a fire pit about 14 ft from the steps off of family room. Towards the righ, we have the steps from the driveway ( yellow arrow)

Any thoughts on this plan?

• PRO
    Royal Innovation Deck Builder
    8 months ago

As a deck builder, I will prefer the second option.

• g m
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks simplynatural, that looks great.

We have about 27 ft from the family room sliding door to the retaining wall, We will alo be backfilling and will probably end up with two steps to the patio

With the deck, we will also be blocking the one of the basement window..

Will have to make a decision today…

• simplynatural
    8 months ago

It's great that you have twenty-seven feet instead of the twenty I used. That would make everything less tight. And you alone know how important that basement window's light is to the interior.

I saw four risers at the sunroom door, one from floor level to temporary steps, then three on the steps. If you're keeping the step-down from the door to a platform, then it looks like you're right that two more risers in addition to that one will work once backfilled. I designed the deck level with the interior floor (just a step-out, not a step-down), then four risers to patio. Sounds like that would reduce to three when backfilled, or the steps could be made less steep.

Best wishes on your decision (yet another in the several million involved in building!).

g m thanked simplynatural
  • kelli_ga
    8 months ago

I like the raised patio in Beverly’s post.

I visited a house that had a raised porch with pavers on it. I don’t know how they were supported. They were about 3 steps up from the ground. The pavers were much nicer than wood or composite decking. They were in the shade.

If you plan to go out there in bare feet, wood or composite decking might be preferable.

My personal preference is to have a raised surface that I can walk on in bare feet or slippers, and do what I need to do without going down a level. So I would want a raised area where I could sit and have morning coffee, or a raised barbecue area that would let me run in and out of the kitchen in bare feet.

I like to use raised areas because they feel cleaner to me - further away from dirt and bugs.

If you are concerned about aging, also think about a place to put a ramp. I already have a potential visitor who has difficulty climbing steps. I’m thinking about ways to put in an attractive ramp in the back of the house.

g m thanked kelli_ga
  • kelli_ga
    8 months ago

Regarding putting pavers on the deck: I’m watching an old episode of ”Decked Out” (from DIY Network) where they framed out the deck (I think), then installed a ”plastic substrate” which looked something like thick gridded plastic squares, then the laid the pavers over them. This was filmed in Canada so I don’t know if the terms for things are different in the US. If you want to do this, hopefully your contractor is familiar with the structural requirements.

g m thanked kelli_ga
  • User
    8 months ago

Composite deck, like Trex, with powder coated railings and then you have no Maintenace to speak of. How about patio pavers like TechnoBloc?

g m thanked User
  • anneppowell
    8 months ago

When we added a patio outside our family room, it required 2 steps down from the patio door. I asked the contractor to build the top step wider than a regular step. That way, when I am carrying trays of food, beverages, etc. for outside dining, I can walk straight out from house without an immediate step down. Second step is also larger than usual.

g m thanked anneppowell
  • g m
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks simplynatural, Kelli_ga, cathi33 and anneppowell for your comments, very helpful. Great idea about having wider steps, will keep that in the plans.

• terrib962
    8 months ago

I would want to walk straight out - maybe steps later to a lower level, but for the first few steps (or the whole deck if possible or at least most of it level with doors. And best to use real wood not that cheap composite stuff on the market that should be reserved for decks off mobile homes. Lots of raised planters built in at edges would be nice. Be sure to buy acrylic tableware as glass will break with it hits a stone patio. I would say look at lots and lots of photos online and see what jumps out at you right away. Usually certain things will continue to catch your eye right away.

g m thanked terrib962
  • PRO
    Bedbury Realtors
    8 months ago

Patio!! decks require so much maintenance.

g m thanked Bedbury Realtors
  • terrib962
    8 months ago

I hope the house is built with green materials - looks like a new house. Most new houses today reek of toxins and formaldehyde with the off-gassing of carpet, laminate floors, particle board cabinets chocked full of toxic glue. And why people like fake wood floors is crazy - use real wood or real plastic. Then there is particle board new cabinets in kitchen and bath. A recipe for illness or cancer. The person who suggested composite decks is not familiar with building materials - plastic decking does not last as long as wood and looks oh so cheapo!

g m thanked terrib962
  • terrib962
    8 months ago

I would make it a screened in room to use more often and keep the state bird out (mosquitoes). At least part of the deck or patio should be screened in with a roof - metal roofs are nice with great sound when it rains.

g m thanked terrib962
  • lazidazi
    8 months ago

Whatever you build, Cover it! (at least mostly)

The only way to have outdoor living space is if it's Covered!

Decks with no cover are highly overated.

Uncovered, decks require a lot of maintenance, every year needing to be stained/resealed. If you don't regularly seal a treated wood uncovered deck, the boards crack and become overtly weathered - unattractive, let alone, worn out.

If you decide on a platform outside each door, the platform should be covered. Otherwise water splashes back against the house and door and jamb = asking for trouble. A platform from each doorway with steps down to patio will look like the easy way out, like poor planning.

You need a roof from sunroom to sliding doors.

Consider one level from the house all the way to the existing retaining wall.

With roof over both doorways, you'd have covered patio and uncovered patio.

One level will look much better and be more functional.

g m thanked lazidazi
  • kelli_ga
    8 months ago

My two cents on screened rooms and covers: I am not a fan of screens because they get dirty and obscure views and attract bugs and they don’t feel like being outside. I am in the minority. I am relatively new to bugs, but I now live in the woods and I feel the same way. I would rather be inside than in a screened room.

The way I am dealing with bugs in outdoor living areas is having mosquito traps in the yard, a portable bug zapper, sometimes the thermocell (but prefer the bug zapper) and FANS. I plan to install ceiling fans on the porch (which has a cover). They make smaller portable ceiling fans if you don’t want to direct-wire or don’t have enough room for a regular outdoor ceiling fan. They plug into an outdoor wall outlet and have grills.

If you don’t have ceiling fans, a floor fan might survive in a covered area for a period of time. They also make more expensive outdoor floor fans, but I haven’t found a fan recommended for a non-covered area.

I would keep some lounging furniture in an uncovered area. There are days when you just want to lay in the sun. (I have had no desire to do this during bug season.)

g m thanked kelli_ga
  • lazidazi
    8 months ago

Would be helpful to tell us the distance from house/sliding doors to retaining wall.

Also the distance from sunroom door to sliding doors.

g m thanked lazidazi
  • g m
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks terrib962, Bedbury Realtors, lazidazi and kelli_ga.

@terrib962 This is a new house and will be using real wood.

@lazidazi Will need to think about adding a roof and screen to cover patio. We do have a sunroom and so want the patio to be open with the firepit. I hear your point about bugs, and think we can manage that similar to what @kelli_ga mentioned.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks!

• g m
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@lazidazi distance form family room sliding door to retaining wall is 27 ft and from sunroom door to sliding door end is ~27 ft

• lauren1331
    8 months ago

I think it depends on what the interior rooms are and when and how you'll be using the outdoor space along with what climate you live in. Stone patos have to be weeded annually, or regrouted every so often. And any patio of stone or concrete can be really hot in the sun, retain water when there's a lot of rain, and have to be shovelled off in the winter if you live in the north, and have to be spray washed every 3 or 4 years to remove the stains from acid rain or just dirt or mildew getting imbedded in the nooks and crannies.

Decking has air circulating underneath so it stays a little cooler especially if the color is light. And if you can afford one of the new materials made from recycled plastic containers, you'll be doing the environment a favor and they won't need any maintenance. You might even be able to wash away any grease spills from cooking on the grill.

So there's a lot to consider. Both can be beautiful and last a long time depending on what product you use and how it is installed.

g m thanked lauren1331
  • Eugene Pence
    8 months ago

I would suggest having as few steps as possible from the house to the deck/patio. When carrying food to grill, drinks etc, it is an easier transition with fewer steps. Looks like a beautiful space to get to redo and enjoy!

g m thanked Eugene Pence
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    8 months ago

Here are some suggestions:

g m thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • g m
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Dig Doug’s Designs, Thank you for the design suggestion, very helpful.

• RedRyder
    8 months ago

I have to walk down three steps now to get to my grill. It sits on a concrete slab (I think the owner who built the house ran out of ideas) and I will only build a deck that is straight out from my kitchen door. Juggling dishes has made me feel like I’m going to either trip and break some part of myself or drop the dishes and they will break. I would caution you about immediate steps from any doorway.

Our next project is a no maintenance deck with steps far from the kitchen door.

g m thanked RedRyder
  • Maggy Kreider
    8 months ago

I would do 2 option. But someone mention screen in porch. I would do portion screen in maybe coming out from kitchen or family room it’s all one level. N maybe older folks will stay in the screen porch. No falls. N maybe making steps wider. It’s not a hazard as narrow steps. Please do composite deck. No restaining. It’s beautiful!!! Best to you. I love the water feature. I would get in in hot day. Lol.

g m thanked Maggy Kreider
  • User
    8 months ago

The person who suggested composite decks is not familiar with building materials - plastic decking does not last as long as wood and looks oh so cheapo!

terrib962, hate to break it to you but our Trex deck is anything but cheap. Or cheap looking. It's downright beautiful. Our wood deck turned to garbage despite faithful maintenance. Take your tree hugging elsewhere!

• g m
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Just wanted to share some pics on the progress of the patio, almost done.

• M. Vogel
    25 days ago

Its looking great!

• RedRyder
    24 days ago

It’s looking good!