Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_218210481

White oak, soapstone, brass kitchen

Jack Oliver
8 months ago

Still missing some trim pieces, and haven't really finished arranging my shelves, but I hope this helps someone out.

Comments (28)

• Barrheadlass
    8 months ago

Beautiful!

Jack Oliver thanked Barrheadlass
  • just_janni
    8 months ago

Love your soapstone sink!

Jack Oliver thanked just_janni
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    8 months ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! And what a view out that window!

• cawaps
    8 months ago

Ooooh, pretty!

• Lisa
    8 months ago

Wow! I love everything about this.

• dobbycooper
    5 months ago

How do you like the HRL Brass knobs and pulls? Which finish did you choose and how is it holding up? I'm considering them for my new kitchen.

• Joseph Babcock
    5 months ago

Are those chickenwire inserts in the stacked upper doors? Nice touch.

• akrogirl32
    5 months ago

My type of kitchen - beautiful!

• Jack Oliver
    Original Author
    4 months ago
    1. @dobbycooper, am loving the HRL knobs etc. I am not home at the moment but can send some photos later; I guess it’s been about 5 months of use now? I got the burnished finish.

2. @joseph babcock, it is wire mesh, thicker (and unfortunately more expensive) than chicken wire but similar. I think this is the one i used: https://www.vandykes.com/decorative-wire-grille-36x48/p/201878/

• Jack Oliver
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I should add that we are LOVING the faucet. It’s only been a few months, so hopefully the durability etc is fine, but I love the look, the feel, the function. And it already has the best patina going.

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

Do you like your new Bertazzoni range?

• Jack Oliver
    Original Author
    4 months ago

So far, yes, although I haven't used the oven too much yet. I use the top regularly and it has been fine; I previously had an LG induction range and I think that one probably heated up a little faster, but it's a negligible difference. I fully admit that the Bertazzoni was chosen as much for aesthetic reasons (and availability at the time) as anything. The local appliance dealer did not recommend some of the other models but said the induction had been great for them. It's a bit of a gamble; keeping my fingers crossed.

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

I almost bought one for looks alone too. Glad to know it also works well.

• kculbers
    4 months ago

Your kitchen looks great!!

• Laurie
    4 months ago

Beautiful kitchen!

Where did you purchase your soapstone? How do you like soapstone, so far?

I especially like the gray look of the stone (to the left side of the sink as you are facing sink) in the third from the top photo.

-Laurie

• Jack Oliver
    Original Author
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

The soapstone is from LaCour Stoneworks in Denver. Highly recommend. This is my second .. no third! ... kitchen with soapstone, apparently I am a huge fan.

• Laurie
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Jack-

Thanks for the soapstone vendor name and location. I'll be searching in Bellingham, Washington (a couple hours north of Seattle).

Nice to hear that you have past experience with soapstone and really like it : )

-Laurie

• pgjs
    4 months ago

Thank you for sharing! I love the soapstone with your cabinets.

@Laurie I just purchased my soapstone from Crocodile Rocks in Kenmore, WA. I had a great experience visiting them. Very educational and enthusiastic about soapstone.

• Laurie
    4 months ago

pgjs -

Thank you for posting about your experience using Crocodile Rocks in Kenmore, WA. We currently live in southern California. I have been emailing a helpful employee at Integrity Stonework in Sedro Woolley, WA. They gave me a few of their stone supplier names and highly recommend Crocodile as being more specialized in soapstone. We plan to visit in June to view all of their choices.

Jack (OP) went with Stormy Black. I have heard that Stormy Black sometimes is referred to as PA...do you think that is correct? Stormy Black and PA are relatively harder versions of soapstone (I think). Which soapstone did you pick? I am thinking if we choose soapstone, I would prefer to do less frequent oiling because I am drawn to the gray slab look as opposed to black. I will likely use a white subway tile backsplash.

-Laurie

• Jack Oliver
    Original Author
    4 months ago

That is my understanding, Stormy Black = PA.

• pgjs
    4 months ago

@Laurie I don't know about Stormy black being PA, but I think they could be based on pictures. I was also looking for a hard soapstone and deciding between PA and graphite black. I went with graphite black. I don't know how much flexibility you have in timing, but I recommend browsing their inventory and keeping an eye on their incoming slabs page (https://www.crocodilesrock.com/materials/just-arrived/upcoming-shipments/), and just making sure you go when they have slabs you're interested in. I would say their inventory is reasonably up to date. After I placed my hold, my slabs were removed online within a couple days. Here's my slab below.

• Laurie
    4 months ago

pgjs - wow...your graphite black slab is stunning! Is the photo taken when it is wet or dry? When will it be installed? I hope we can afford soapstone. My understanding is that the range for soapstone is generally $40-45/sq.ft. for just the stone cost alone. We are currently comparing costs of soapstone with Taj Mahal quartzite and a charcoal gray honed granite. Aside from the stone cost, the additional costs for fabrication ($2600), sink ($250) & template ($200) seem to be the same regardless of the stone that we choose. We're doing perimeter counters, only. No island or peninsula. Using a stainless steel undermount sink. Our counters will be roughly 70 sq.ft.

Thank you for the link to inventory. My install will not be for many months away.

Jack, pgjs & others - in your experience, what is the maximum amount of weeks/months are stone yards willing to hold a slab(s) for a customer?

Jack - good to know that it is your understanding that Stormy Black = PA.

-Laurie

• pgjs
    4 months ago

@Laurie Thank you! That was dry. This is a wet photo. I'm not sure on the exact timeline, but some time in spring.

I'm sure different places have different policies on storage length, so I would just email and ask.

I hope it fits your budget! We have similar taste. I also looked at Taj mahal. It's very hard to compare quotes, but here's some information for you. My quotes is just fabrication and slab cost all in one. Cheaper granite was about $100-125 sq/ft. Soapstone depending on where it was from was 120-150sq/ft. Taj mahal was more than 300/sq ft. I'm happy to share more details if you message me.

• Jack Oliver
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I know we are in different places, but mine came out to about $165/sq ft including everything (material, fabrication, sink, tax, trip charge for 100 mi away).

• s m
    4 months ago

@pgjs- I believe Graphite Black may actually be a phyllite

• Laurie
    4 months ago

pgjs - I like seeing the contrast between wet and dry. I hope you post photos when the project is complete. It's going to be beautiful. Thank you for the quotes. I am surprised by the Taj...much higher than I expected!

Jack - Thank you for your pricing, as well. Good to know it includes the tax and the 100 mile shipping fee.

• pgjs
    4 months ago

@s m Wow, I've never hear of phyllite, but that seems likely based on the linear veining, which I really like. I'll have to look more because I don't fully understand what differences there might be between soapstone and phyllite.

@Laurie No problem. Good luck with your project! I'm planning to make a post when it's all done.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County