Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

My DD bought a house!

Jilly
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

My daughter and son-in-law just had their offer accepted, inspection done, and are waiting for closing.

She had her heart set on a 1930s charmer, but after seeing the inspection, it needed too much serious work. Major, major, expensive work. It would’ve been a money pit.

They looked at 10+ houses of all ages, several different towns, and the one that felt right was a mid-century cutie. A flipper generic-ized it, so almost everything is brand new. But that’s ok — we’ll add some vintage charm back in after they’re settled, and without having to worry about big, old problems.

The bad news: it’s not next door to me, like I wanted. It’s a few hours away (due to her DH‘s job). I’m having a tough time with that, as I had hoped we’d someday be like the series Dallas, and all live in a big house together.

She has her own decor ideas, her style is very vintage eclectic, but has been asking me for advice about certain things …. which makes my heart smile.

Wasn’t it just yesterday I was telling her to clean her room? How is she out of college, married, and about to be a homeowner?!

We’re all so proud of her, and her dad would be, too. :)

Comments (112)

• Ida Claire
    8 months ago

Congratulations to your baby girl and her sweet hubby! What a wonderfully exciting day it is when the papers are signed and you get to sleep in your new place for the very first time! I'm thrilled for them, and wish I could see you in person and give you a hug. I know you'll be shedding some tears as you walk with them through this transition, happy though it may be. I am wishing you all the happiest time together this weekend! May it be filled with excited house decorating talk and a few margaritas, if the mood strikes. :-)

Jilly thanked Ida Claire
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 months ago

How exciting. I scrolled all the way down (which I rarely do) to see if there were any pictures. Saw the floors-very pretty-and three pictures of the actress from "Dallas"-LOL.

Jilly thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ida and Cyn, thank you!!

Ida, champagne and wine for sure! :D

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

Aww, how exciting for her, and you! Except for the empty-nest part. But it could be far worse, right? I am so worried one of mine will want to work abroad. 😖

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks, Mtn!

Well, that happened with me (moved to Europe one month after graduating from HS) … so my dad has been on a ”At least she’s not moving to Europe like someone else I know!” tear. 😂

Dang. Now I see how hard that must’ve been for him! It was just him and me for so long, then I left so young … and this was pre-internet/Facetime/etc. I feel bad now!

• olychick
    8 months ago

I think the sectional will fit!! It’s gorgeous.

Jilly thanked olychick
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks, Oly! I’m checking to see if it’s still available, I think that might’ve been the last one.

She said it was so plush and soft!

• Ally De
    8 months ago

Just be sure on scale. I know you will, look who I am talking to here. 😃😘

My mom once fell in love with a sectional, that ended up looking like we'd docked the USS Nimitz in our living room. 🤣

Jilly thanked Ally De
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ally 😆❤️

I seriously thought that’s how my dad’s was going to look! By some furniture miracle, it was as perfect as could be! I doubt accidentally perfect sectional sizing lightening will strike twice, though. 😁

I just want to say how grateful I am for this board and all of you. The other (decor) boards have such a different atmosphere …. and not in a good way.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ok, so I just ordered an air mattress for our visit, with sheets and a nice blanket (Eddie Bauer — I didn’t know they made blankets!).

I might be here crying next week, due to back aches from an air mattress. 🤣

First order of business — a guest room bed for Mom and Bonus Dad!

We could’ve stayed at a hotel, but my baby girl and I don’t want to be apart. Luckily, my SIL and I adore each other and he totally understands our bond. 🥰

• Ally De
    8 months ago

It is safe to be real here. This place is so supportive. I enjoy all the updates.

Don't forget your 4000k leds and a to scale floor plan....

🙃

Jilly thanked Ally De
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ally 😆

I just need to be smart like the rest of you and stop participating so much over there. (Especially since I have a weirdo creeper with an epic grudge because I disagreed with him a million years ago.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

It was just him and me for so long, then I left so young … and this was pre-internet/Facetime/etc. I feel bad now!

Yes you were a very bad kitty. But I think you have made it up to him.

Can the sectional fit?

http://www.planyourroom.com/

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ohhh, that’s a great link, Mtn, thank you! ❤️

• texanjana
    8 months ago

Congrats to your DD and SIL! How exciting!!!

Jilly thanked texanjana
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you, Jana! :)

I’m currently looking for pillows for …. a couch/sectional that isn’t in existence yet. 😁

• njmomma
    7 months ago

😂

Jilly thanked njmomma
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

We’re here and we are tired! Got a lot done today.

I found these vintage blinds on Marketplace years ago — she had them in her 1940s Dallas apartment … they fit perfect in her (new) 1960s kitchen. 😍

The kitchen is very bright, this is a bad iPad photo.

• Kswl
    7 months ago

Congratulations to your DD, home ownership is such a grownup step!

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you, Kswl!

Currently trying to fall asleep on an air mattress which strangely reminds me of 1970s water beds. A little sea sick here. 🤢

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

What fun -- congratulations to your daughter!

I haven't slept on an air mattress -- but I have slept on a water bed! I sure hope you can get some sleep!

Jilly thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you, Funky!

• OutsidePlaying
    7 months ago

Jilly, I am so happy you can go visit and help your DD and SIL with their new house. Sometimes the sacrifice of sleeping on an air mattress is worth it. Mostly! Congrats to them on their new home!

We just went to Kansas City a couple of weeks ago to help DGD#1 get moved into her first adult apartment. She started work there in June just after graduating. Our DD helped drive her stuff out in July in a Uhaul then flew home. Her stuff has been in storage while she looked for an apartment and she has been staying with her half-brother in the meantime, which was very fortunate. Apartment was finally ready and to save her taking off work, we drove out with a rruck full of stuff from home, met a moving crew who unloaded it all from storage and moved it into the apartment. Everything went smoothly, I put down drawer liners and unpacked boxes while she was at work. Then we helped her move some things around, hung art work, and shopped with her with for some other things. We did have some fun while there too.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • teeda
    7 months ago

How exciting for everyone! I love those vintage shutters--they look great on her window. Your DD and DSIL must be so happy to have your talent available!

Jilly thanked teeda
  • jill302
    7 months ago

Have a wonderful time with DD and your SIL, their first home is such a special time.

Strangely enough, my DD and SIL just closed on their first house last week. They bought a cute 1920’s home. Looking forward to helping them make it their own.

Jilly thanked jill302
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Outside, teeda, jill … thank you!!

Outside, I hope she loves her new place. I’ve spent a lot of time in Kansas City and became a big fan of it. Great city!

teeda, thank you, I’m so glad she shares my love of old shutters. :D

jill, a 1920s house, be still my heart! My DD fell in love with the sweetest ’30s house, but it was a wreck (pier and beams rotted, leaks everywhere, plumbing and electrical needed to be redone, etc). It sure was cute and charming on the surface, though.

• jill302
    7 months ago

Good choice. They do not want a wreck of a home for sure.

DD's home all the electric and plumbing was replaced in 1989, not recent but much better than 1923. We found out one of our friend's uncle owned the house when they did the 1989 upgrades, we were able to learn a bit about the changes. Thankfully they kept the original 1923 style/charm.

Jilly thanked jill302
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I so love houses of that era, I hope we can see peeks of it sometime. :)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

We left and saw a Buccees on the way home … wow!! I’m still reeling! I don’t know how to even describe this highway store/gas station! Wow!

• Arapaho-Rd
    7 months ago

I tear up reading what you write Jilly, because if I had a daughter I'd feel the same way.

Jilly thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • lascatx
    7 months ago

Sounds like you are having fun. I don't envy the air mattress -- slept on one when DS1 was in grad school, but I'm sure it's worth it . At least until you can help her set up a guest room, or even have a sectional in place. One of the unsung benefits of having a sectional is that they provide longer sleeping space than a typical sofa. Enjoy!

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you, Arapaho and lascatx!

Arapaho, what a sweet and heartfelt thing to share, thank you. ❤️

lascatx, they got a bed yesterday, so no more air mattress. 😀

• OutsidePlaying
    7 months ago

Yay for the bed! That’s progress! I hope you had a wonderful time during your visit. it is always hard to leave, isn’t it. Our 3 oldest grandkids have all moved away and we are NOT used to this, nor are their parents. What an adjustment, especially when you are all close.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Outside, we did, thank you! And oh, my, yes … leaving is so hard, especially in a town we aren’t familiar with. Mom cried for miles. But I know it could be much harder — my heart goes out to everyone with much bigger distances.

I ordered her a rod and curtains for her sliding glass patio door, she just texted me how they look. :)

They bought a sectional yesterday, too, but it won’t be delivered for a couple of weeks. It’s not the one I posted earlier, and I wouldn’t have picked the light color they did (with a German Shepherd and two tabbies), but I just have to smile and nod. :D

Her beloved Pa Pa bought them a washer and dryer for a housewarming gift … Lowe’s delivered the wrong set yesterday. Should be there tomorrow, though. No utility room, they’ll go in the garage. The original ’60s clothesline poles are out back, she loves them and is going to use them for some things. She’s a hippy at heart. :D

• happy2b…gw
    7 months ago

I am very happy for your daughter and excited for you. I have 3 daughters and it is so much fun talking, shopping, and decorating with them. Two of mine go for the collected over time layered look and appreciate vintage without being granny-ish. The third ia a minimalist by comparison and leans toward clean lines, calm colors, and uncluttered spaces. All three have beautiful homes. Your daughter is lucky to have you and you must be an inspiration to her. I understand the smile and nod; we must be in the same club different local chapter.

Fair warning- be ready for the next phase- gardening and beyond.

Jilly thanked happy2b…gw
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you, happy!

My DD’s style is like your first two daughter’s, her DH’s style is like your third. :D

I’m so excited about landscaping … they have the cutest built-in planter by the front door. Original MCM. :)

Sorry it’s blurry! I wish the flipper hadn’t painted the brick, but there’s nothing we can do about it.

She’s going to have a seating area on the other side, and wants me to help next year with shrubs and other plants. The front door is original, but nothing special … she wants an MCM door with windows (like the diamond shaped ones or something). The entry inside is a bit dark.

I will concede that the original brick was extremely ugly, so maybe it was for the best.

• happy2b…gw
    7 months ago

Love the planter and the house. The roofline of the portico to the front door is very cool. Your daughter is wise to replace the door with an MCM style door with windows. MCM doors are visually interesting and will bring in some light to the entry. I look forward to seeing what you two do with it. The brick will blend right in and provide a nice backdrop for the plants you all select. You'll see that your daughter and son-in-law will come to a meeting of the minds.

All my daughters are gardeners. They take after their grandmother. I like to garden also, but they are much better at it than I am now. They also have more energy and can dig holes.

Jilly thanked happy2b…gw
  • Olychick
    7 months ago

What an adorable house! I love painted brick, so if the brick was ugly, I probably would have painted it, too. Looks like a pale aqua or is that just the lighting? Is the planter the only thing under that roof, or is it shallow with seating area under the overhang behind the planter? I'd be curious of the original design because it looks very high off the ground for a planter with a substantial roof cover. It looks great with the flowers, though.

Jilly thanked Olychick
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Happy, thank you!

Oly, thank you! The brick is a sort of white/blue/gray, if that makes sense. :D

I wondered about the height of the planter, too. The house is on a pier and beam foundation, and the garage (to the right) is on a slab … it’s a few steps down from the kitchen door. The area behind the planter is part of the yard, she’ll have to put pavers down for her seating area.

There are big MCM house numbers on the brick, beside the garage door … very cute!

• OutsidePlaying
    7 months ago

What a pretty house! My gardener mind immediately went to that planter and what could be planted in front of it and around the corner. A really neat feature and I actually like the cool mixed colors that are in there now.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you, Outside!

It’s full of very happy petunias right now, but next year we’ll do a mix and have some flowering plants with spiky ones. :)

• Olychick
    7 months ago

I wonder if it was originally some kind of brick outdoor oven that's been filled in, since it's close to the kitchen? Maybe they'll get to know the neighbors who may have insight into how that planter came to be,

Jilly thanked Olychick
  • Allison0704
    7 months ago

Neat planter! One of DD2's MCM houses (she's owned two) had a planter that was wide at the front porch, then went along the front of the house. It was a pain to keep it watered since porch roof and deep eaves kept rain from reaching. If it doesn't have a drip system, your DD can add.

Jilly thanked Allison0704
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Oly, I think it’s always been a planter, as the kitchen is on the far side of the house facing the backyard. It’s hard to tell, but the yard is quite sloped, and the other side of the planter is lower to the ground than the front side shown. If that makes sense. Need more coffee. :D

Allison, thank you! A drip system is a great idea, I’ll share it with DD. :)

• Allison0704
    7 months ago

You're welcome. Just remembered her last house also had a planter, but small - under the carport! Sometimes I'm reminded that too many architects do not consider the day to day upkeep of everything.

Jilly thanked Allison0704
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Exactly! This summer has been a nightmare that still hasn’t ended — 107 Thursday and Friday. I teased her that she better be prepared to water every thirty minutes. :D

Luckily, it’s very deep, and in afternoon shade, so won’t dry out as fast as my useless window planter.

• jill302
    7 months ago

The front door area is so cute, love the planter!

Jilly thanked jill302
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you, jill!

I’m ready for some pecans from her yard. :D

• Oakley
    7 months ago

Jilly, darling house with lots of shade! Perfect for the heat.

Jilly thanked Oakley
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks, Oak! The shade is so nice, I’m starting to wonder if this heat is ever going to end!