Living room overhaul - please!

Deryl Robson
8 months ago

Living room redo!,

We love and are married to the fireplace and the bookshelves on either side

We have a beautiful ocean view out front windows and doors

Would like to incorporate a leather couch or chairs

I like the quirkiness of the inherited rocker

the area is fairly open plan and the adjacent dining and kitchen are gray with gold accent

We tend to like mission and transitional…

on all other things can flex and I am stuck!

we have a cat who tends to vomit and claw wood tables so we aren't spending cash on tables til she ”leaves” 3-8 years and ill need a forgiving rug

our children are now grown and we host groups often

hope this is succinct but thorough thanks for any and all!

Comments (5)

• apple_pie_order
    8 months ago

Sounds like you want a new leather sofa, a metal coffee table and a forgiving rug. Will you be repainting?

Deryl Robson thanked apple_pie_order
  • mytwo cents
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Which ocean? If it's the Atlantic, I suggest putting a mirror behind the new leather sofa,

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/latitude-run-aristoula-wall-mirror-w003278512.html.

A copper coffee table might be very nice in room.

No matter which ocean you are on I suggest taking every thing off the mantle. I would keep an eye out for 2 nice wood boxes that you can set atop each of the bookcases, because I think something needs to close at least some of the gap to the ceiling. An alternative is to set each of the cases on a sturdy plinth to bring the tops up to just a bit above the window trim.

If you don't need drapes for privacy, just remove those. If you do need them, get longer drapes.

The quirky rocker would look better at the right corner of the fireplace. The green chair can be set at an angle with its back to the door. (The entire rug could be pulled further from the fireplace -- and you appear to have such nice floors I don't think you need such a large rug.)

I hope the grandfather clock can find a spot in another room. Move the drop leaf table from the window to that wall by the door, open up the leaves, and put all your plants on the table and the bigger ones on the floor near it. Put a window seat bench under that window.

It looks like you like to read, so once you've got the sofa and coffee table in place, invest in reading lamps where you need them. With a big enough coffee table you probably don't need end tables, except maybe some light weight drinks tables you can move around.

Deryl Robson thanked mytwo cents
  • Teena
    8 months ago

I’d cool the room in a light gray with blue undertones like Quiet Moments which would be lovely with your wood tones. A lighter colored machine washable rug in blue, cream and whatever shade the new couch is.

Throw pillows in the same repeat colors. Get a smaller metal and glass cocktail table and pull the rocker onto the rug placing the other chair next to it across from the fireplace as a grouping. Add a small round table between the two chairs for drinks. Get a modern floor lamp for lighting replacing the end table and lamp.

Deryl Robson thanked Teena
  • mytwo cents
    8 months ago

Spotted this rug and thought of your living room. A strongly blue rug, including other colors in the room and a view of the ocean, could really help anchor the space and spare you having to repaint, given how very connected your rooms. are. This rug is very inexpensive, so it's not the great arts and crafts rug you'll someday want to invest in, but for now might be wise to avoid $$$$$ for something the cat could accidentally spoil

https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/surya-festival-fvl-1001-area-rug#mz-expanded-view-173730178868

Deryl Robson thanked mytwo cents
  • PRO
    Darci Hether New York
    3 months ago

It seems as though you should be able to get a similar color leather couch as you currently have, however we might recommend a lighter rug, though perhaps one that is easy to wash and detachable. Right now your space seems very dark, so adding a lighter rug might really help the space.

Modern Apartment · More Info

Watersound Beach · More Info