Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaimie_godden

help! I need home office/mud room ideas

Jaimie
8 months ago

I have a 12 x 12 room that needs to function as a home office and a mud room. I see so much inspiration that is not realistic. I have three screens, which is not pretty like the one laptop look to walk into, so I think the desk centred in the space does not look good. Also, so many cords. I would like to fill the space with functional pieces to keep the space clean. If I put built in cubbies with the desk centered along one wall I am still left with a large useless space behind me. Ideas?

Comments (15)

• Susan
    8 months ago

First thought that comes to mind…make separate spaces for each function…using the cubbies as a partition.

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago

I like the idea of using cubbies as a room divder. If you get the freestanding kind you can cover the back with cork and use it as a memo board -- or do something decorative, whatever you need.

Wondering why you are using such a small desk

But you can get desks larger than this that also are made to help you hide cords.

• Paul F.
    8 months ago

What is your budget?

• kl23
    8 months ago

@Jaimie Godden I have an L-shaped desk with my monitors along the wall and some work space that allows me to face the center of the room. A swivel chair on wheels let's me turn either way with ease. I don't like arms on my chair because fingers can get punched between them and the desk at my particular height. Anyway, an L shape gives you both.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

12 x 12.........

Draw it please ? Where is the door......one door two doors a window . ?? How big is your desk, the return ? Inches please for all .

Was this a first floor bed room ? Where is the garage or real entry to the house?

• Susan
    8 months ago

Following up my earlier comment…if you pull the cubby into the middle of the space as a partition, there are lots of options for the desk…on the dark wall (monitors/wires will disappear/blend in); facing the back of the cubby (which could be trimmed out/painted/wall papered/decorated or covered in cork as someone suggested; or perpendicular to the cubby partition, especially if there is a window with a view on the wall we don’t see in your photos. Don’t worry about the monitors…arrange your desk in the position that feels most comfortable for you while you are working. The mudroom cubby area should be on the side closest to the door into the room, which I’m guessing is on the right since that is where you placed the cubbies. The good thing is you can move/tweak the placement of your desk and the cubbies until it feels just right for you! I would anchor the office space with a rug and place the chairs and the mirror (vertically) in the cubby space. You could do a gallery wall on the dark wall. I think it has a lot of potential and makes good use of the room!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 months ago

Jan is right this is a puzzle with no context. A floor plan and how this space relates to the rest of the house is what we need . The drawing to scale on graph to make it easier . showing windows , doorways where those lead all posted here in jpeg format in a comment. DO NOT start another post .

• Otter Play
    8 months ago

Do you need to Zoom? § If so, make the green wall you backdrop. Move the mirror someplace that it won’t reflect the mud room portion of the space. Use something like the Ikea cubes suggested above behind the desk. That can provide some extra space for monitor stands, etc., and will hide cables. § If you don’t need to Zoom, put your desk on the green wall and put the external monitors on wall mounts. A riser for laptop helps if you use an external keyboard. (Better ergonomics.) § Either way, check that your lighting is sufficient and doesn’t cause glare. § Good luck with your project.

• Jaimie
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks all! I do use zoom daily so I would like a nicer looking background. I like the options above regarding using the back of the cubbie to divide the space, however, I do not want to block too much light in my workspace. The entry to the room is off the living room, so the space immediately in front of the door needs to look neat and tidy. If a mirror and chairs were visible, and the cubbies were seen only as a side view, this could work. The cubbies do not provide the shoe storage needed though. I do have a very large closet in the room as it is technically a main floor bedroom. It is very full, but I think I just need better organizers. Also the gliders of the closet do not work well and the doors often fall off. If I fixed the doors I could organize the shoe storage in the closet. I find it difficult with the space being so square as visually cutting the space into 2 means I am left with 6’ by 12’ spaces, which is not ideal. I drew a picture to show where the door and window are.

• housegal200
    8 months ago

Reverse the mudroom piece and move it by a couple feet into the office space so you can use it as a "wall." Paint it to match the front of the piece. Then place your desk against the back of the piece as others have suggested. This will make the three screens disappear.

Anchor the office side with a fantastic rug and a colorful chair as shown below. You can easily create a DIY white shelf along the wall where the desk is now or along the mirror wall. Your accent wall and mirror aren't working. They darken the space. Paint everything a white that harmonizes with the desk and nice wood floors. Hang your art on the mirror wall.

Modern Eclectic Office · More Info

• mytwo cents
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

so here is a hall tree with a bench and shoe storage. Could you clean out the closet and use it to hang coats? You can see these are modular units, so you could buy another piece for more storage or hooks.

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    4 months ago

Can you place the desk under the mirror, then you could easily dedicate the one wall to being a mudroom area? They also make cord covers so you can organize your cords and cover them so they don't look bad. Maybe check out some office designs to help you decorate your office space and make it feel joyful instead of bland. Here are some visuals to help you with your current dilemma:

Oceanfront Oasis: Home Office · More Info

Front & York · More Info

Southampton Modern Farmhouse: Entry · More Info

Simply High Line: Second Bedroom · More Info

• PRO
    Joe McGuire Design
    4 months ago

If you're able to divide the room in half, you should be able to create an office space on one side and a mudroom space on the other. If keeping the chairs, you might consider setting them together behind the desk, or in front of the desk, depending on how you want your desk oriented. Below are some ideas for you on what your space might look like once divided and furniture placed properly.

Trailhead · More Info

Trailhead · More Info

Willoughby Way · More Info

Overlook Drive · More Info

• Susan
    4 months ago

What did you end up doing with the space?