Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Travel experts - Western US ideas

legomom23
7 months ago

Last minute - trying to plan something for 3 nights next week for me and a friend - looking at Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, California, or Colorado.

Looking for -

somewhat luxurious accommodations, or somewhere particularly "unique"

A "bucket list" type place or experience

Good food and good wine a plus

Even a known vegan food area would be interesting

Not too popular, maybe off the beaten path - we're last minute :)

And no to Vegas, LA, San Francisco, San Diego or Napa, just because we've been recently.

Any tips or ideas to get me started in the right direction?

Comments (35)

• eld6161
    7 months ago

Sedona.

legomom23 thanked eld6161
  • Sueb20
    7 months ago

I’ll start. Sedona is one of my favorites! I’ve been 2x — once with family, stayed at Enchantment Resort, loved it. Only drawback is that you can’t walk to anywhere from there. But it’s a beautiful location and not a far drive to town IIRC. The second time, went with girlfriends amd stayed in an airbb a few blocks from downtown. Also great but not posh in any way.

legomom23 thanked Sueb20
  • Sueb20
    7 months ago

LOL we cross posted.

legomom23 thanked Sueb20
  • Ida Claire
    7 months ago

Not sure how luxurious you're after, but the Rosewood Miramar in Montecito is pretty spectacular.

Santa Barbara Hotel in Montecito CA | Rosewood Miramar Beach (rosewoodhotels.com)

legomom23 thanked Ida Claire
  • Sueb20
    7 months ago

Here is a pic I took at Enchantment.

legomom23 thanked Sueb20
  • Ida Claire
    7 months ago
    legomom23 thanked Ida Claire
  • Gooster
    7 months ago

Way popular (not off the beaten path), but the weather usually is pretty good this time of year in Carmel and Big Sur. Still popular but perhaps less so are Mendocino/Fort Bragg, but it is hard to get to if you are flying.

• deegw
    7 months ago

If a posh ranch/cowboy experience is on your bucket list I'd look into Jackson Hole or Telluride.

legomom23 thanked deegw
  • legomom23
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Such great ideas! I’m researching right now! Thank you 😀

• ilikefriday
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

A few months ago I visited Half Moon Bay in California and stayed at the Ritz Carlton. It was fabulous! I would suggest it. We had a magnificent time.

https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/hafrz-the-ritz-carlton-half-moon-bay/overview/

legomom23 thanked ilikefriday
  • jlc712
    7 months ago

Amangani or the Wort Hotel in Jackson Hole, WY

Stein Eriksen Lodge in Park City, UT

Red Mountain Resort in St. George, UT

It's a gorgeous time of year to visit any of these!

legomom23 thanked jlc712
  • deegw
    7 months ago

Let us know what you come up with. I'd also like to plan a similar trip but I am trying to find someplace near a large airport so we don't waste two days with travel.

legomom23 thanked deegw
  • cawaps
    7 months ago

Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, CA (near Monterey). Not luxurious, but definitely unique. The grounds are beautiful and regularly frequented by deer. The conference grounds are separated from Asilomar State Beach by sand dunes that have a boardwalk. The beach is lovely and has good tidepooling. Monterey has lots to see, including their world-famous aquarium, Fisherman's Wharf, and Monterey State Historic Park. There are some great restaurants. Passionfish is amazing and should hit the spot for wine. I also love Red House Cafe and Crystal Fish. The conference grounds has a dining hall that has good food and is very convenient for breakfast. Availability will hinge on whether there's a conference scheduled.

legomom23 thanked cawaps
  • sushipup2
    7 months ago

Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Carmel Valley. Not a lot of flights into Monterey airport but you can fly into San Jose only 90 minutes away.

legomom23 thanked sushipup2
  • legomom23 thanked Olychick
  • legomom23
    Original Author
    7 months ago

These places are truly beautiful and I didn't know they even existed! Thank you all for sharing these wonderful ideas. Many are booked, but right now I am narrowing down to Sedona with possible day trip to the Grand Canyon, or possibly Jackson with a day trip to Yellowstone. I LOVE the idea of Santa Fe, but I don't think it's a good fit for this trip.

But I am open to other ideas still!

• eld6161
    7 months ago

We took a small plane from Sedona to the Grand Canyon. We wound up on the west rim.

I didn't realize at the time that the south rim is where you want to be. So factor this in.

I want that impressed and when we saw a friend’s photo from south, I understood why.

legomom23 thanked eld6161
  • Lizzie_grow
    7 months ago

We are planning a road trip to Jackson in two weeks to go visit our son who is a GM at one of the hotels there. Planning to go to Yellowstone one of the days with him. He's only been there about a month, so we'll be scoping out the area with him. He says it's beautiful & there's some cute shops in town which I hope to investigae while he & my DH do a little hiking...my arthritis keeps me from that at the moment. Sounds like you're going fairly soon, so probably won't be able to give you our feedback before you leave.

legomom23 thanked Lizzie_grow
  • texanjana
    7 months ago

Grand Teton will be much more manageable from Jackson than Yellowstone. It’s much closer and smaller. The distances in Yellowstone are vast. Jenny Lake Lodge in Teton is fabulous. Not sure how late in the season it stays open, though.

legomom23 thanked texanjana
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 months ago

Santa Barbara is reasonably easy to get to. if you’d rather be closer in town, I’ve stayed here in its previous iteration. The fun zone has a hunch if tasting rooms down by the water so everything is close.

https://www.palisociety.com/hotels/santa-barbara

legomom23 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • bbstx
    7 months ago

jlc beat me to it, Stein Erikson Lodge in Deer Valley, UT. Beautiful scenery, terrific food, and a very easy drive from Salt Lake City.

The Waldorf Astoria in Park City would be nice too.

I’ve never stayed at the Amangani at Jackson Hole, but I’ve driven up to look at it. Wow!!

legomom23 thanked bbstx
  • bbstx
    7 months ago

@Lizzie_grow while you are in Jackson, go to the National Museum of Wildlife Art and have lunch! It has beautiful vistas and the food is very good too!

legomom23 thanked bbstx
  • jlc712
    7 months ago

@legomom23 - Yellowstone is too far and too big for a day trip from Jackson. There’s lots to do in Jackson Hole and Teton Village.
    If you’re looking for an easy trip close to a big airport, @bbstx is right, Park City is very close to SLC and it’s an easy gorgeous drive.
    Jackson Hole has a great airport but you have to connect, usually through SLC or Denver.
    @lizziegrow, while you’re in Jackson shopping, check out Amy Ringholz Gallery. She’s an amazing artist! she’s good friends with my brother in law.

legomom23 thanked jlc712
  • barncatz
    7 months ago

I started following a mustang sanctuary in Bend, Oregon and oh my gosh is the scenery incredible. Several resorts in the area. I have friends who relocated to Bend about 15 years ago after they fell in love with it on a trip.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Bend is amazing! i have been there once about 5 years ago and loved it!

I think we’re headed to Santa Fe! To the hotel as suggested by @Ida Claire. If anyone has any Santa Fe suggestions for food or experiences, pass them on.

• bbstx
    7 months ago

A docent led tour of the Georgia O’Keefe museum.

Sandia Peak Cable car

Take the Turquoise Trail from ABQ to Santa Fe. Stop at Madrid and visit the Mine Shaft Tavern (good burgers). Look at the art shops. It is pronounced Mad Rid like the fault that created Reelfoot Lake, not like the capital of Spain.

legomom23 thanked bbstx
  • 3katz4me
    7 months ago

One of my favorite things about Santa Fe (besides the opera) was visiting the pueblo in Taos. It's a bit of a drive but we could only do so much of the shops and galleries and liked seeing some other things outside of Santa Fe. We also liked Los Alamos.

legomom23 thanked 3katz4me
  • nicole___
    7 months ago

Aspen Colorado is pretty ritzy. You can fly in. Great food. Great boutique shops, lots of local artists. Great walking and bike paths. Hot air balloon rides over the city. Or...Glenwood Springs Colorado has hot springs they're famous for. Lots of cute local shops & restaurants.

legomom23 thanked nicole___
  • bbstx
    7 months ago

Those night sky pictures are so cool!

legomom23 thanked bbstx
  • legomom23
    Original Author
    7 months ago

They are! my iphone was a little too old to get those kind. Those are my friend’s. It’s amazing how fast the camera technology advances.

• Sueb20
    7 months ago

Ohhh...so jealous. I loved Sedona.

legomom23 thanked Sueb20
  • deegw
    7 months ago

Going to see the dark sky was one of my favorite things that we did in Moab. Watching the stars slowly become brighter as the sky darkened was amazing.

https://darksky.org/what-we-do/international-dark-sky-places/

legomom23 thanked deegw
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 months ago

Those photos are awesome! Jealous of your experience. It’s been a while since we’ve been to Sedona. Maybe we need to put that on our list for our next trip out west.

legomom23 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • dedtired
    7 months ago

So, so jealous! I had plans to go to Sedona , but covid changed that. Still hoping to get there. Thanks for the photos.