Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_899422794

suggestions for a small garden

sharon wettlaufer
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

I have a small 18" wide garden along side my garage which is visible when folks enter the backyard as that is the way to ge to backyard.

Its on the south side (southern Ontario -hot summers, cold winters)

I have removed everything and would like a low maintenance, drought resistant garden

I would also like ideas to camouflage meter but yet have it accessible to the meter reader

I did plant some cranium in the middle.

Thanks in advance

Comments (15)

• sharon wettlaufer
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Im attempting to send a larger one but it is so slow going through

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    7 months ago

I do believe that is the tiniest photo I have ever seen on GW lol! But the photo appears a second time in your post nice and big so that is helpful

Can you/do you want to make that bed deeper? (Bring it farther out from the house?) That would give you more options.

I'm not sure you could camouflage that meter as the bed is now other than putting some lattice in front of it, or some kind of flat trellis, either of which you could grow something on.

For low maintenance I think of evergreen shrubs but you probably shouldn't plant them that close to the house, even small ones. Maybe something like thuja Tater Tot or Anna's Magic ball. But I also feel like you need some height...

Any thoughts of putting some kind of art there? Something tall and narrow? Or a pot on a pedestal?

I was going to say tall annuals but I guess that wouln't be so low-maintenance... Maybe daylilies?

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do!

:)|

Dee

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    7 months ago

The bed is simply too shallow front to back; if we could see a shot of the entire house I think that would be obvious.

• hbeing
    7 months ago

what about jasmine?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 months ago

Get some nice rectngular planters and place them along that wall filled with seasonal plantings and some nice lights over the winter season.

• rosaprimula
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I can't see the point in using containers unless you are keen on the whole seasonal swapping, with bedding plants.Otoh, even a narrow little border, with a handy fence, can be used to create a perfectly reasonable planting -my narrowest border is between a concrete path and a brick wall and is probably only 15inches wide...and I have always managed to keep a good display, with a mix of evergreen ferns and long blooming perennials...which can also be trained against the wall. Yes, a nice deep border is ideal but there is still scope for opportunity with the slenderest of spaces. Chaenomeles, trachelospermums, clematis, indigoferas, roses, pyracantha, ceonothus, anisodontea have variously been displayed in similar beds. I am not really one for suggesting what other people grow (because of being unfamiliar with growing conditions, zones, preferences and so on), but I do think there is sufficient scope to make this little border do some sterling work in the garden.

• Design Fan
    7 months ago

Is the bed’s stone border cemented in place? Do you have room to make the bed a deeper so that it is as wide as the building bumpout?

• Sigrid
    7 months ago

For the meter, I might put a small tree in front of it, but not in that tiny bed. Enough distance to fit the canopy. Russian sage and sedums are drought resistant, once established. Underplant with moss phlox.

I would not do planters. Too hot in the summer, too frozen in the winter.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    7 months ago

Depending upon where you’re located and what your weather is like, I think a decorative trellis as diggerdee suggests with a climbing plant would definitely disguise the meter. As long as you angle it a bit so you can still read the meter.

debra

• Dorian W
    7 months ago

Second the suggestion for Trachelospermum. You can buy a espaliered version and stick it at the back along the fence.

• margimutch
    7 months ago

We have a small south facing strip of garden, zone 5 b, southern Ontario. Roses, Rose of Sharon, Mock Orange, Peonies. We deepened the bed. They thrive, likely better than the zone as a result of abutting our home. Call before you dig, it's a free service: https://ontarioonecall.ca/homeowners/

• Kendrah
    7 months ago

I have planted shade beds in super skinny spots like yours. Sorry I don't know specific plants to recommend for full sun and your climate, but I want to encourage you to do google images searches because it is certainly possible to plant in a space that narrow.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    7 months ago

For a drought resistant easy care garden in a narrow space, you could have a row of daylilies, interplanted with daffodils for spring. You could also add some sedum 'Autumn Joy' for fall color. I'm not familiar with cranium. I considered a skinny trellis with a clematis for hiding the meter, but I don't think that will be a drought resistant easy care solution. If flowers are not important, you could do a row of boxwoods, such as my favorite, 'Winter Gem'. I found that they need very little extra water.

• linaria_gw
    7 months ago

just a wild guess, if you mean Geranium, they are way more draught tolerant than daylilies, IME (Europe, warm z7)

Geranium macrorrhizum

Geranium cantabrigiense

perhaps

Geranium renardii