Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Added fashion talk…

eld6161
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

While perusing the Fall clothing thread I am wondering if everyone here tucks their blouses into their pants.

I haven’t for year's yet I'm noticing more and that that is the way to go. My stomach is my least attractive feature so I'm usually in sweaters or tops that I leave out.

Lately I've been looking blouses as dressier option.

What do you do?

Comments (39)

• dedtired
    7 months ago

Seriously? With my fat belly, its shirttails untucked always . Having met you once, imremember you as thin, so you might be fine.

eld6161 thanked dedtired
  • Sueb20
    7 months ago

I purposely buy tops that don’t need to be tucked in!

eld6161 thanked Sueb20
  • Tina Marie
    7 months ago

Either/both. It depends on the shirt, but I wear alot of tunic type tops and peasant/boho tops that are not to be tucked in. I really don't have that many tops that need to be tucked in.

eld6161 thanked Tina Marie
  • deegw
    7 months ago

I occasionally try to do the front tuck, French tuck, whatever you call it, but it usually annoys me and I pull it out.

I rarely do a full tuck and I never do the half tuck (where one half of a button-down shirt is tucked in and the other half is not).

So many different kinds of tucking! :)

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • 3katz4me
    7 months ago

I don't wear blouses - tucked or untucked. They're just too stiff and bunched up for tucking and I prefer something that looks like it was intended to be untucked if I'm not tucking. I wear sweaters and other knits and have been tucking more now that higher waist jeans are in fashion. That look is more flattering on me than a belt across the widest part of my hips/stomach. I'm relatively thin but have a wide butt so looks that emphasize my waist look better on me than say a longer untucked tee shirt that makes my whole body look as wide as my butt.

eld6161 thanked 3katz4me
  • OllieJane
    7 months ago

I do the half tuck quite a bit-enough that my belt shows some.

eld6161 thanked OllieJane
  • jill302
    7 months ago

No tucking, but I will do a front tie or knot. Making sure that the tie/knot is lower than my pudge. This gives a slimmer line, probably not trendy but works well for me. I am slimmer but short waisted, I have always had a belly, even when I weighed 103 pounds and excercised a couple of hours every day.

eld6161 thanked jill302
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 months ago

This is the blouse

It's very soft and thin

All the blouses on the Loft website are tucked in.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    7 months ago

I tend to tuck in. Love that blouse!

eld6161 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Kswl
    7 months ago

I do both. I like the casual look of an untucked turtleneck but I also like a structured, ironed buttondown tucked in with a belt. I also like a pretty blouse tucked in with a narrow or no belt, softly bloused over the waistband of the slacks or skirt.

I have a couple of cashmere tunic type sweaters with crew necks that I wear over nicer EF slacks with a belt over the sweater. The pants and sweater are the same color and the belt and shoes are the same contrasting color. Gray sweater and pants, luggage brown leather belt and loafers, or black belt and loafers. And I have a black sweater and pants that I wear in the same way. It's not really dressy, per se, but a nicer, comfortable outfit for going to appointments or a casual lunch. As I have mentioned, I have no hips or derrière, so a belt that defines the waist gives me a reasonable facsimile of a shape.

eld6161 thanked Kswl
  • HU-163897337
    7 months ago

Kswl, i think your casual outfits are more dressed-up than most here 😋

eld6161 thanked HU-163897337
  • 3katz4me
    7 months ago

I will wear a soft, drapey blouse tucked in.

• Oakley
    7 months ago

I stopped wearing tucked in tops because I was tired of having to tuck them back in when I stood up.

Love button down shirts and blouses with a rounded shirt hem. They go great with slacks or jeans. About 10 years ago I bought the shirt below from Roamans (size L in case you're wondering, lol) in both long and 3/4 sleeve because it's loose enough not to be binding. I can wear it open or closed.

It's the only shirt I wear when I get a compliment but I think it's because I have the same color hair and style...on a good day. Unfortunately I don't have the face. I wear it every day. ;)

They still sell it.

eld6161 thanked Oakley
  • Bunny
    7 months ago

Untucked all the time.

eld6161 thanked Bunny
  • nicole___
    7 months ago

Tucking in doesn't fit my lifestyle. I move too much and shirts become sloppy looking.

eld6161 thanked nicole___
  • salonva
    7 months ago

I agree that I see it more and more, and I that the tucked version ( whichever, but the half tucked in particular) looks way more updated and "cooler".

Having seen the pix you've shared, I think you'd look great with the tucked versions.

I also have never really liked blouses, but love knits. I love sweaters and tunics and tshirts but wear them draping.
    Back in the day my waist was a lovely feature as was a flat stomach. That has not been the case for quite a few years for me so it's a no go.

I love the summer and warmer months, but now that the weather is turning, I do look forward to wearing sweaters.....and even though most are not bulky, I wouldn't like them tucked in at all.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • roarah
    7 months ago

I prefer fitted untucked blouses on even model thin peeps. it elongates every frame and wrinkles less.

eld6161 thanked roarah
  • bbstx
    7 months ago

Even at my thinnest (single digit clothing size), I had no waist and was still apple shaped. I know that the newest look is to tuck in blouse or to wear something shortish or cropped, but I just don’t think it is my most flattering look.

I haven’t found a flattering look yet to go with straight leg pants. Last night I went to dinner with friends at a very casual restaurant. I had on straight leg jeans and a Chico’s white shirt un-tucked. I felt very frumpy. I would have changed but I was running late and decided to be punctual instead of cute.

eld6161 thanked bbstx
  • ratherbesewing
    7 months ago

Half tuck for me. Easier to wear when the blouse is flow-y.

eld6161 thanked ratherbesewing
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

When I wear a suit, I tuck in my blouse. When I am dressed casually, I often untuck it for a longer line.

The half tuck amuses my family because for years my son did that and I was always "correcting" him.

• salonva
    7 months ago

Hmmm that's interesting- ratherbesewing--- that makes a lot of sense and might have been obvious to most, but it wasn't to me. Flowy definitely makes a difference. I still don't know that it's for me, but that might help me judge it. thanks

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

It's been a long time since I tucked in a blouse and I can't remember the last time I wore a belt. I'm so much more comfortable in knit tops be they sleeveless, short sleeved, 3/4 or long, that I wear them all the time. It's only once in a blue moon that I even wear a button front blouse. And knits, of course, need not be tucked.

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Tina Marie
    7 months ago

@roarah your pic is a good example. The fitted (doesn't have to be tight) shirt is much more flattering that a loose, oversized button up shirt.

The half-tuck is amusing to me too haha

@ratherbesewing I wear alot of those type tops, but untucked.

@eld6161 that is a pretty top. Can't tell for sure how it would look untucked, but which way do you like it? Which way do you feel is more flattering?

eld6161 thanked Tina Marie
  • Funkyart
    7 months ago

I am overweight and have a tummy that is getting smaller but still needs work ... I also have a long torso and short legs.

I tuck .. often a french tuck (strategically placed). There are many videos that show how a tuck can deemphasize a belly and lengthen the legs and I have found this to be true once I broke away from focusing on my flaws and looked at the whole picture/the whole look. Similarly, I have noticed that the sweater/top styles that go to lower hip and cover my bum and belly are not as flattering as those just a little lower. It is counterintuitive, i know! i want to cover everything that I think is too big .. but now that I have lost weight, I find that the longer tops hide my shape and make me look shorter and wider. (The exception is long line knee-length cardigans ). I am still working out what length works best but high hip +/- seems to work best for me.

I don't just think the french tuck is a more current and fresh look-- I think it is effective. I had to watch many style videos before I started believing that what I saw on others would work for me too-- and once I tried it, I was amazed that it DID have the same effect on my overweight body. It obviously doesn't make my belly go away but it does give me length and showcases my waist which deemphasizes my belly. At least I think so. Give it a try!

eld6161 thanked Funkyart
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

@roarah's photo is an example of why I think a women's tailored white button down shirt is just about the most attractive thing one can wear. It is somehow both professional and classic yet feminine and sexy.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 months ago

I like the half tuck with low-waisted pants but high rise I completely tuck in.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Tina, I think with this blouse I'm going to tuck it in and see how it goes!

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

Like i said, I do both full tuck and french tuck ... french tuck doesn't work for all tops or all looks. It doesn't work well with a cardi or jacket. I think it works really well with a tee, for example. As always, you do you.

We all have personal style preferences: I won't wear a button up blouse untucked ever unless 1. it is unbuttoned and worn as an overshirt... 2. it has a peplum, 3. i am staying home and no one will see me (love a very oversized mens shirt, socks and no pants ;)). That's just me ... doesn't matter my size or whether I have a belly to hide or not.

eld6161 thanked Funkyart
  • yeonassky
    7 months ago

Half tucked or French tucked or whatever it is called for unstructured t-shirts. For the ones that are more sculpted I leave untucked. Never do I tuck in fully. Nobody wants to see my figure that much :-).

eld6161 thanked yeonassky
  • jab65
    7 months ago

Thanks, Funky. I watched a video (duh) and am going to give it a try now that I see my errors.

eld6161 thanked jab65
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

Busbee Style has a lot of youtube videos on how to update your look.

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Jab, I just googled it!

Annie, I'm going to look at that.

7 months ago

You win, Funky. I have a long torso and shorter legs and I will try the cool French tuck. How did you learn to look at the bigger picture and not just focus on flaws? I rarely wear trousers because all I see is a tummy.

eld6161 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Funkyart
    7 months ago

It helps to have poor eyesight lol -- but mostly it is learning to be good to myself and to accept that I am making changes that will take time. Some days it is much easier than others. Today isn't one of those easy days ;)

You know what else helps? Looking at OTHER people and seeing the impact of small style changes on their appearance.

eld6161 thanked Funkyart
  • nekotish
    7 months ago

First time I heard of a French tuck was when my daughters were in high school. Now, 10 + years later - if I tell my husband that his shirt is coming untucked he tells me "I know - it's a French tuck." He's a goofball!

eld6161 thanked nekotish
  • Kswl
    7 months ago

Funky, that is so true; sometimes it is easier to see the difference a small change makes in someone else’s appearance or look. That is a very good point, and why I like to watch fashion videos. (Now, whether or not I am successful translating the look into a change in my own wardrobe or appearance is debatable….)

eld6161 thanked Kswl
  • Bluebell66
    7 months ago

It is a rare occasion that I wear anything tucked in, but if I do, it must be flowy. I've never managed to tuck in a basic button down or cotton blouse and not look lumpy in front.

eld6161 thanked Bluebell66
    7 months ago

Thank you, Funky.