Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Fall Shoes - What are you liking this season?

Funkyart
7 months ago

Cool temps hit us early this year and I am looking to get a few pairs of shoes... I am interested to see what everyone is liking this season ...

I don't need and can't wear any dressier shoes ... but I am casually looking for a pair of low black boots and some fall sneaker/athleisure shoes. What are you looking for?

Comments (68)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I love love love suede but I don't wear it in wet or iffy weather. I could/should treat it -- but I worry that it will change the color or texture.

My suede boots above still look great 4 yr later ... but I have a pair of waterproof blondo suede boots I can wear in poor weather.

What I don't love are my black suede boots. They always look dirty. I prefer suede in beige/green etc.

• maddielee
    7 months ago

I’ve never purchased new shoes by the season, probably because we do not have seasons 😊. This ad just landed in my email, proving (to me) there are ’Fall Shoes’

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Oh those are cute, Maddie! For some reason, I just don't wear my patterned sneakers .. I got these for the summer and I think I wore them twice?

• Arapaho-Rd
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Funky, I like Gabor shoes and those sneakers! Mtn, I've seen Vivaia adds so many times and kept saying to myself, need to check those out. Thanks for getting me to go there now - remind me of Rothys.

Funky, this Gabor sneaker has the same effect w/o the bulkiness of the tie

Funkyart thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • rubyclaire
    7 months ago

I think those Gabor's are cute but I do like the version Arapaho shared best!

Funkyart thanked rubyclaire
  • bbstx
    7 months ago

DD’s DMIL wore Vivaia flats when we were on vacation this summer. She loved them. I liked the look and am considering buying a pair to replace my black Rothy’s.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 months ago

I'm not planning on buying anything, but these sneakers caught my eye....which is unusual because I usually am a little more low key!

https://betseyjohnson.com/products/sb-sidny-black-pink

• Irish2
    7 months ago

I like the look of them in taupe with the bow tucked inside.

Funkyart thanked Irish2
  • Tina Marie
    7 months ago

I am not a fan of flats for myself other than athletic shoes. My feet feel better with at least a bit of a heel. I do have some sandals/flip flops that are more of a platform sole and I like those. Funky, are you able to wear a mule style shoe? I have a couple pair of "sneakers" that are backless and I really like those. I do wear booties but I do not wear long pants (meaning pants that cover the boots) but ankle pants, etc. that show the boot. I hope that makes sense. Jeans cuffed look good with booties in my opinion, also. I do wear suede boots, but we don't have much snow here at all. I have boots for bad weather if needed. I do have a couple pair of leather mules with a block heel. I like those with long pants. My favorite pair of booties is a pair that are pointed toe, black suede and probably a 2" block heel. Those boots come up a bit higher on my leg and they will work with wide leg cropped pants and skirts. I don't think I need any shoes/boots for this fall/winter season.

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

I dont think the Vivaia will wear very well. but then they are inexpensive

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 months ago

Those Gabor sneakers are cute! And I can see you in those Funky.

I was in a shoe ordering binge a couple of weeks ago but have already returned a couple. I really wanted to like a Dansko flat mule in pewter but it was too wide for my narrow foot. The insole was amazingly supportive. I’m usually a 9.5-10 and in Ecco always a 41. So many cute brands are too wide for me (Vionic, Clark to name a couple).

I ordered 2 pair from Donald Pliner during a sale. I'm definitely keeping the loafers as they are so soft and fit nicely. I need a new pair of dressier low boots and these are gorgeous. I may need to try them again with socks as the heel seems to slip a little. Otherwise I love them.

And I ordered another pair of Ecco Soft 7 low boots in steel gray. I have a pair in black. They are my go-to shoes in winter with almost any pants except dressy slacks. And I’m pretty sure I’m keeping a pair of Eileen Fisher stretchy slip-ons.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Yeah, I don't know that I will tie a bow in the Gabor sneaker -- at least not all the time. I assume you all know it is the same sneaker with the ribbon either tied in a bow or tucked.

Yes, Tina.. I can wear a mule as long as it is flat and secure on my foot. Most of my non-sneaker mules have a mid to high heel ... but I just remembered I have a pair of louise et cie black mules that I haven't seen/pulled out in years. I'll have to bring them out of hiding.

And I didn't really need boots/shoes either -- I could make an argument that I needed the black boots but I didn't really.

• Kswl
    6 months ago

Funky, I ordered the black and cream Vivaia loafers to try. They’re cute and affordable and would be a great pair of extra shoes to pack for a weekend. Also I would really like a to see if washing actually gets them clean and doesn’t leave the shoes less structured. I have a couple of pairs of light colored Rothy’s but have never needed to do anything but spot clean. Black ones would eventually need actual washing.

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Oh nice, Kswl! I think they are cute! Yes, I am curious about how they will wash also. I also curious if they are especially good for bunions... I discovered just yesterday that I have a bunion. :(

How do I "just discover" it? Well, I have always had very bony feet .. and the toe configuration that is most likely to develop bunions, I should have been watching for them. I had noticed some crossover of my toes the last few years. I guess because I am either in slippers or sneakers most of the time, I didnt notice any of the tell tale signs until yesterday when I wore a more structured shoe. Boo!

I hope this doesn't cause issues with any of the shoes I ordered!

• rubyclaire
    6 months ago

I assume you all know it is the same sneaker with the ribbon either tied in a bow or tucked.

Duh, of course I did. Not. :))

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Quick Updates as packages arrive:

I really like the Vivaia shoes-- they are a tad short--but not so much that they don't work. The width is perfect (my feet are slightly wide but i don't wear wide widths). I love how they look on my feet! They are not super high quality but they are comfortable and look sharp ... and they don't break the bank!

The Gabor sneakers ... first off the bow is NOT as prominent as it looks. I really kind of like the bow ... the sneaker is snug and because it is a slip on, i think it is a touch too small all around. They have a 10.5-- so I will try it. I will also check out what else they have in store. I really like the shoe and it is well made -- but I am also not sure it is the best style for my large feet.

The boots have not arrived as yet.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 months ago

Funky, with your new bunion and your toes crossing…have you heard of orthotic toe separators? You are young enough i think you would benefit greatly from using these. My Pilates instructor told us about them a few years ago and they really make a difference. It takes a while to adjust to them and you have to gradually work up to your wearing time. But since you are working from home, it’s a good time to try them them. They feel weird at first but you get used to wearing them barefoot around the house.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Outside, I have read about them -- sister's MIL has the same problem but said the orthotics didn't do anything for her but she is 20 yr older. I will look into them-- Thank you!!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

The Thursday Boot Company booties arrived today-- love the quality. I am very pleased. They do cut into my shin a bit -- I assume they will stretch or at least soften where the top meets my leg.

I spoke to the shop where I purchased the Gabor slip on sneaker -- told her they were the slightest bit snug and hard to slip my foot into. She is pulling a 1/2 size larger from the other store and then I am going in and we'll decide if just need to wear my normal size to "break it in" or if i need to go up 1/2 size. I saw a friend wearing the black and white version in a photo-- they looked very cute on her. I am hoping to make these work too.

and again, I love the vivaia shoe ... not the quality of the other two but perfect for what I wanted.

• Sueb20
    6 months ago

Well of course I had to check out the Vivaia web site… and I got these! Very comfy, although I haven’t worn them for more than 5 minutes yet. Dog likes them, too.

I won’t be wearing them with my sweatpants…

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Oh i like those-- I don't remember seeing them. I will need to take another look. Are they lined and warm or best for current temps?

I won't get a lot of wear from the ones I bought-- but they will be perfect when I need them the 4x this fall/winter.

• maire_cate
    6 months ago

Funky - I just looked at the site. They have loads of interesting shoes.

https://www.vivaia.com/item/water-repellent-chelsea-boot-ryan-pro-p_10016124.html?gid=10016140

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 months ago

Those are cute, SueB. I have found mine to be uber comfy, but I have to guess they wont wear well. At the price, not a big deal except not very green.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks, Maire-cate -- i may have avoided the boots since I had ordered a pair from Thursday Boot Company but i will def check them out later today.

Mtn, I have the same sense that the shoes I bought won't last long-- not exactly sure why. I think because they are lightweight, the shoe is all fabric and the sole is pretty thin. Still, it's not an every day shoe for me and it really is attractive (at least today it is).

I want to see how they wash-- but not going to try it before I wear them a few times. I am dubious.

• Sueb20
    6 months ago

I think they’ll be fun for my NOLA trips… probably not so much for my winter Chicago trip!

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Allison0704
    6 months ago

Outside, thank you for the bunion/toe separators. I ordered, recieved and tried yesterday. Do you sleep in yours? I had mine on (only one) but my big toe woke me up during the night - like it was slightly on fire where the item goes across the back. I removed and went back to sleep. Wearing this morning around the house.

My toes do not cross over, and I am trying to avoid that and surgery. Saw my mother and her mother go through the procedure.

Funkyart thanked Allison0704
  • Eileen
    6 months ago

Runners and hikers wear toe socks to prevent blisters. One of my toes crosses over on long walks (bunion-related) so I tried a pair of these liner crews, which I wear under my regular socks because they are a thinner sock. It works great, and you don't feel any pressure like you would with spacers.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Injinji/page/2907BEA2-BB83-4A88-A921-C041FC6B20B5?ref_=ast_bln

Funkyart thanked Eileen
  • Kswl
    6 months ago

I ordered the spacers also, as my little toes on both feet have been broken numerous times and now cross over their neighbors. I don’t know if the spacers will help this but it’s worth a try, happy for that tip!

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Allison0704
    6 months ago

I don't really feel pressure with the spacers. I notice when I'm walking but it isn't uncomfortable. Guess it depends on the toes.

• pricklypearcactus
    6 months ago

If I'm lucky, my husband and I will try to fly standby to Europe in a few weeks. First time ever for me and I'm trying to figure out what to wear so I don't stick out like a sore thumb (since I hear that's an issue for Americans). I read that ankle boots (especially if it rains) or stylish sneakers are good shoe options.

I just ordered these Teva Anaya ankle boots. I have an older lace up version that I find very comfortable so I'm hoping I'll like these. They seem more stylish than my lace up version. I hope they're stylish enough for Europe (Paris, London, or Amsterdam depending on open seats on flights).

I was also looking at Thursday Boots that it looks like Funky bought! But I wasn't familiar with the brand (just ran across them looking for ankle boots online) and so I didn't pull the trigger (yet).

I also really want these Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 in this charcoal gray. I think what I'm reading suggests this kind of tennis shoe would be fine in Europe and they look comfortable. Unfortunately I cannot find my size anywhere (womens 8)! So my search continues. I do have other tennis shoes I could probably work with, but I'm not sure if they're stylish enough for Europe.

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • teeda
    6 months ago

pricklypear, I recently returned from a trip to Europe (Italy and a few days in Ireland). Everywhere I went the non-American casual footwear of choice was white trainers/sneakers. Pure white. Seemed like the whiter the better.

I actually bought a pair of the Onitsuka Tiger's for the trip. I read great things about them on NYTs Wirecutter and think I got sucked in. They turned out to be incredibly uncomfortable. They only came in unisex sizing, so I was surprised how tight they initially seemed. I don't have a wide foot. I broke them in before we left and thought they would be okay. I just found them to be too tight at the top of the toe box after extended wear and my foot seemed pushed forward into the toe box. Not sure how most men would ever fit into them. Very disappointing.

I like the booties a lot. They look good and I imagine being Tevas would be comfortable for walking.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Oh what fun, Prickly! I hope you are able to hop on a flight-- I remember those standby travel plans from back when I worked for the airlines!

I really like my Thursday Boot Club boots.. I love how they look on my feet and I think the quality exceeds the price... but I am not sure they will be as comfy for all day walking right out of the box. I haven't tried them out for an extended time (or out at all) yet... the footbed is very comfy but the leather is pretty thick. I guess it depends on the fit and how persnickety your feet are.

I do NOT want to talk you out of them-- I love them and am considering another boot AND a pair of shoes. I just want to set expectations. My nephew's boots are nubuck. They are sooo soft and had no need to break them in.

• Irish2
    6 months ago

@jsk

I bought these back in May from the Adidas website. ( Size 10 ) Very comfortable!

• pricklypearcactus
    6 months ago

Thank you @teeda! That is incredibly helpful. I had been reading that white shoes might be in, so that confirms it. Also, thank you for letting me know how uncomfortable the Onitsuka Tiger's are. That's certainly not what I want to take for a trip. I've also been sucked in by a few sites (probably Wirecutter too) suggesting them. Some other sites suggested that these Stan Smith shoes for white shoes. I wonder if I can keep them clean enough to pull off the look.

Also, the Teva Anaya's arrived! And unfortunately the right one is defective with a huge lump in the insole. Just placed another order for the same pair and I'll return the originals. Hopefully the new ones won't be defective. I did like how they looked and the left one seemed comfortable so far.

• rubyclaire
    6 months ago

I wore these on my recent trip to Europe. They have a wide toe box which made them very comfortable. I have an annoying and painful Morton’s Neuroma in my foot and these worked very well. Not cheap but I really appreciated them for both comfort and style.

You will look just fine whatever you wear and best wishes for a wonderful trip!

• rubyclaire
    6 months ago

Dang it - didn’t post in comment but these are the Veja Campo sneakers I was referencing…

• pricklypearcactus
    6 months ago

Thanks funky and rubyclaire! Those Veja Campos are cute. I imagine I'd like the Thursday Boots too if they're good quality. They seem a little more upscale than the Tevas, but also the Tevas seem like a fairly safe bet for me since I have another similar pair that I know I can wear on my feet all day. I think I've heard too many horror stories about people hating on American tourists, but hopefully as long as I behave respectfully and don't dress overtly inappropriately I'll be fine.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

My sister and niece both love their Vejas!

• Kswl
    6 months ago

My new black and ivory Viaia shoes (thanks to Funky the Influencer) arrived today and I was surprised at just how pointy they are— I’m calling them my Wicked Witch of the West shoes 😁 They are very comfortable and I am looking forward to wearing them with s pair of black, slightly cropped flares that will show them off.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

LOL yes, they are comfortable AND pointy-- i love a pointy toe! Maybe I have a little witch in my blood because the boots are just as pointy ;)

• jsk
    6 months ago

I bought these back in May from the Adidas website. ( Size 10 ) Very comfortable!

@Irish2 You're an enabler! The adidas website has my size right now. Or I think they do. Did you size down? I've read some people say to size down.

• Irish2
    6 months ago

@jsk I had to actually go and check and they say US 9 inside tongue so I guess I did.

• maire_cate
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Well James - considering this post is over 6 months old and now it's April then 'gearing up for the cooler temps' is rather anachronistic.

• Olychick
    12 days ago

I just saw this at the top of the page and thought, OMG, it's not even really Spring yet, who's thinking about fall shoes! Then I saw a bot revived it. Phew!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 days ago

I did Google what boots will be in style fall 24 the other day :-)

• OllieJane
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Not Fall...but I just happened upon these Taos white tennis shoes this weekend-they are SO comfy and have really good support and LOVE they are slip-on! They aren't bulky-which I like more in the spring/summer.

The store (MetroShoe Warehouse) did not have my size in white, so I bought on Amazon for 49.99. I got the Hemp color also.

https://footwearetc.com/products/womens-taos-dandy-white-canvas

• Kswl
    7 days ago

I went from one pair of bootees I never wear to four 🤔 Based on recommendations on another thread I now have two pair of the Naot Kamsin boot (with the strap) and one pair of gray suede Emma boots from Gentle Souls. Influencers, all!

• HU-163897337
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Haha KSWL! You have a shopping addiction 😂 Hopefully you will wear the new booties.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 days ago

I will get multiple pairs of the same shoe if I love them. Last year I ordered four different colors of Cole Haan zero grande explorer, shearling hiking boots.

I could wear them for light hiking, but they're more of a fashion boot. They're not a danner!