Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Q: Ideas for surfeit of Powdered Milk — over Best Used By date

petalique
7 months ago

Perhaps people here have some ideas.

I have a LOT of dry powdered milk (low fat, I guess it always is, or ”fat free”?). Most is in UN-Openened outer bags with unopened packets inside. I also have a couple of bags where the larger container outer bag is opened, but the individual pouches of dried milk are intact. I belive most of this powdered milk is about a year beyond the ”best if used by” date. It is still good, IMO. It has been kept in a cool-cold (55 deg to 65 Deg F) dry cellar on a shelf.

I do not use or drink this sort of milk, but if I were a parent with little cash and kids, I would not hesitate to feed it to them — soup addition, cereal, chocolate milk, whatever.

Because there is likely a good deal of misconception about ”best if used by” and ”experation” dates, I am thinking that a food bank/pantry would toss it.

I could feed it (as thick milk) to our local opossums, but we have decided not to feed them any longer because we don’t want raccoons or coyote to hang around. We have no pets.

Any ideas?

I might use it if others would not be likely to want it AND if I can come up with something to make with it besides milk to drink.

Powdered milk biscuits? (Prairie Home Companion)

I could toss it (I have a lot) or ?compost it or wait until next summer’s powdery mildew outbreak on phlox and zucchini, but there must be a better use.

Ideas?

Comments (27)

• lucillle
    7 months ago

Add to enrich cream soups

Puddings

Yeast dinner rolls that include milk and eggs

petalique thanked lucillle
  • petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I think I have about three or four large boxed of the powdered milk envelopes. Maybe more.

• plllog
    7 months ago

Do you like custards? It should be good with powdered milk. If you prefer full fat, you can add a little cream, sour cream or butter. Use for French toast/bread pudding, pie filling, pudding. Make cake mixes. I haven't done it, but Grainlady recommended Ova-Easy brand of dry eggs, saying they're most like fresh (though pre-scrambled). Use in baking in general. Pancakes/waffles. Some people fortify milk for baking with dry milk. Add to bath salts. I wonder if you could make dulce de leche with it? Some kind of caramel, at least. If you were thinking of marinating chicken in milk, why not powdered? Is milk good for pets? Sprinkled on their food? I don't use much milk other than for baking, so that's where my head goes. I'm more like to use egg than milk for glaze on bread, etc., but the great thing about powdered is you can mix it thicker, which I think would make a better protein wash.

petalique thanked plllog
  • smiling
    7 months ago

You're wise to consider that a food pantry might not take it. Ours here wouldn't, and they would toss it if left on their back loading dock after hours.

It is fine to use it in baking. Add some to your flour mix for bread dough, crackers, or cookies.

Whizz some (dry) in your blender with cinnamon (and/or Cocoa) for a coffee creamer.

Use some for strongly flavored quiches, custards, puddings.

Add dry to coatings and breadings.

One thing I would do, too, is use one envelope for an experiment to see how the stuff behaves. Try mixing water into the powder in various ratios, such as one part milk powder to one part water; one part powder to 2 parts water, and so on, that will give you an idea how it would affect fluid absorption in your recipes.

Lastly, if you happen to have a vacuum sealer, you could vac-seal it to extend the shelf life even more, as you work your way through it.

petalique thanked smiling
  • petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

If I had my ”druthers,” I would eat a homemade (my) custard pie every day; 3 big slices a day. I would enjoy cider donuts, clam and corn chowder, cheeses, lobster with drawn butter, steamers, Salt and pepper calamari, country paté, fresnch fries, ice cream sundae, apple pie with cheddar, …..

I am a tad overweight and should be on a ”live longer, whydoncha” diet, darn it.

We used to make Happy Meals for our opossums and got very creative. We’d put milk, cheese, spoiled milk or cheese over kibble or sunflower seeds or chicken bones. They loved it.

I don’t know about dawgs. These days many dogs eat much better than do their owners/masters. I thought about making cheese, but I think cheese wants FAT and I should not be chowing down on fatty yummy stuff.

I have heard of dog kennels accepting freezer burned beef and so on.

Last week we had to toww 3 Lbs of boneless chicken thighs that got left out on the counter for 15 hours. A coyote, fisher, raccoon or bear might have liked it, but we don’t want them around ;-)

Thanks

PS Maybe I will create something new — a whole new market item — like DRIED MILK JERKY 🤣😁🤣

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 months ago

Open a packet and check - if the color's off, then it's no longer going to taste good or dissolve properly, IMPE.

I've used powdered milk as a liquid fertilizer for veggies - mainly peppers and tomatoes. It does make a good fertilizer for heavy feeders, even if it's no longer in good enough shape for human consumption. There's even a recipe for a spray made from nonfat milk for powdery mildew - not sure if that's still a thing or not.

And I used to love it mixed up double/triple strength in coffee too.

petalique thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • fraker
    7 months ago

If you make homemade yogurt, you can add it in to increase the protein and as a thickener.

petalique thanked fraker
  • petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Good idea about testing it. Or composting or fertilizing if for any reason it’s ‘off.’

one summer I tried either the milk spray or the baking soda spray on the leaves of zucchini which were very white from powdery mildew. In short order I was astounded by the great results. IIRC it changes the pH for the better.

• Olychick
    7 months ago

Do you have Buy Nothing or Freecyle or other free sites on your local FB or Next Door? People post food past its 'best by' dates all the time, of course stating it is past the date, and people snap it up immediately. I would try to give it to someone who actually wants and can use it before making a big effort to use something I don't really have a good use for. The only thing I wouldn't list would be stuff that hadn't been stored properly or baby formula (because that wouldn't be worth the risk, if there was one).

petalique thanked Olychick
  • arcy_gw
    7 months ago

Do you like to give home made Christmas gifts? One year I made "International Coffee" flavors for stocking stuffers. There are a ton of recipies on line.

petalique thanked arcy_gw
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 months ago

There are numerous uses for powdered milk in the garden, not just for PM control.

petalique thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks, rhizo. Would you list some or point me to a reference?

• Olychick
    7 months ago

I just saw a video by a guy who saves his eggshells, grinds them to a fine powder then mixes with water and spreads them on his calcium loving plants...tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc. I wonder if powdered milk might provide the same nutrients?

• arcy_gw
    7 months ago

I tried it on blight for my tomatos--it was a fail. I don't think any of that folklore works. Better to make hot cocoa/coffee stocking stuffers.

petalique thanked arcy_gw
  • Olychick
    7 months ago

I would not be making gifts out of something past its best by date. People wouldn't use them immediately and the milk would be even older by the time it is consumed.

• foodonastump
    7 months ago

^**Especially since the guidance is that it can be ok past the best-by date if unopened and properly stored.

petalique thanked foodonastump
  • petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks. I have decided not to give it away for human consumption beyond our household. It is fine, wholesome, but I don’t want the liability. There are imaginative people everywhere. I will likely use it to supplement cooking or compost it. I may ask my favorite animal shelter if they have any use for it, or a pig farm (where are those ice pig farm when you want them?).

As rhizo said, milk and other thing like ? baking soda can help with known acid soils or powdery mildew.

I may make us a few hot chocolate drinks from it,

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the collective wisdom and experience all of you offer.

Gorgeous day here. Like an ”Indian Summer” but no frost yet. So much to do in New England this time of year on the few warm, sunny and cool dry days. I hope all of you have a wonderful and joyous day. Don’t procrastinate. Work, play or whatever. Hug your favorite tree — I am serious. Recent news of a friend’s death. Life is short and fleeting.

As Yogi said, ”It’s getting late early.”

• linda campbell
    7 months ago

For a lot of years I made my own yogurt and fortified skim milk with powdered milk....made it "creamy" without the added fat. I also added it to breads and cookies and other baked goods....back when I had littles and was adding calories to food rather than cutting down. I could pack a lot of protein into a chocolate milk shake with powdered milk and pasteurized eggs.

petalique thanked linda campbell
  • bragu_DSM 5
    7 months ago

add it to your mashed potatoes to make them creamier ... or use it in biscuits, muffins, pancakes, yeast breads, cookies and cakes ...

petalique thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • woodrose
    7 months ago

If your powdered milk is in foil pouches, it will last way beyond the "use by" date. I have some that is several years old and it's still good. I use it in a pinch to make homemade pancakes, bread, etc., when I'm out of milk.

petalique thanked woodrose
  • Olychick
    7 months ago

If it is still good and you find you would use it like woodrose says, when you're out of milk, you can freeze the pouches and they will last even longer.

• petalique
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks, good ideas. Most of it is in those foil-lined pouches. So, Maybe I should freeze them to have last longer? All of it is fine. I’ll ask DH if he uses it.

• woodrose
    6 months ago

I keep mine sealed in ziplock bags in a cool, dark cabinet away heat. I suppose freezing may be even better.

petalique thanked woodrose
  • Adella Bedella
    6 months ago

You could find an animal rehabber and see if they would use it. Wild animals don't care about use by dates.

petalique thanked Adella Bedella
  • HU-127064464
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Someone has suggested mine - add to mashed potatoes.

I often make soups with varying ingredients, including veggies and like to add milk to them.

ole joyful

petalique thanked HU-127064464
  • annie1992
    6 months ago

If you have a friend that makes their own dog food it's often used as an ingredient to up the calcium content. If you know any farmer that has pigs, they'll probably be happy to use it too.

That said, if it's sealed in foil packages and you think you will have a use for it, I'd just toss the packages in the freezer for longer storage, properly sealed it's good for some time after the "best by" or "use by" or "sell by" dates, or whatever the manufacturers have decided to use now.

From the USDA:

"Except for infant formula, product dating is not required by Federal regulations.[1]

For meat, poultry, and egg products under the jurisdiction of the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), dates may be voluntarily applied provided they are labeled in a manner that is truthful and not misleading and in compliance with FSIS regulations.[2] To comply, a calendar date must express both the month and day of the month. In the case of shelf-stable and frozen products, the year must also be displayed. Additionally, immediately adjacent to the date must be a phrase explaining the meaning of that date such as "Best if Used By."

Are Dates for Food Safety or Food Quality?

Manufacturers provide dating to help consumers and retailers decide when food is of best quality. Except for infant formula, dates are not an indicator of the product’s safety and are not required by Federal law."

So, take that date as you wish, but it doesn't mean the stuff is bad, and many/most states have their own laws and requirements, none of which are standard.

Annie

petalique thanked annie1992