Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Winter Coats - Do you have one that is attractive?

Funkyart
6 months ago

I need a winter coat ... I have needed one for a while but our winters have been so mild, I have managed without one. I have a few wool wraps/ruanas, a few long sweater coats and a wool jacket from talbots that isn't really intended for winter. I do love it but it is more fall weight and it is also too big.

This winter it will be colder (so they say) and I will be traveling to a colder state so this seems to be the time to start shopping. I'd like something warm and versatile -- but it has to be at least a little flattering too! I was first looking at puffers but I really don't want to look like the michelin man! I also don't want to spend $500 because I will likely need another if I continue to lose weight.

What style of winter coat do you wear? I should have both a casual and a more tailored coat but I am only buying one this year... bonus if it is on sale.

Comments (199)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Glad you mentioned boots.. I am trying to find something warm, not *too* hideous and not too much money. We tend to get only 0-2 big snows here and rarely have more then 1"-2" -- much more likely is slush. Ive ordered the 3 below to give a try..

Sketchers:

Kamik:

Sperry:

I know the ugg suede/shearling styles are very warm-- I have bought many of them as gifts over the years. I just don't like them ... and while I have tried other ugg boots, none have worked out for me. I do have a pair of LL Bean fleece lined duck boots but they are too big (by at least 1 size)-- and I have a very old pair that I loooooove but the lining is pulling out. Still, they are very comfortable and I can wear them all day. They will be my backup if nothing else works.

I think the most critical thing for me there on vacation and here at home is a shoe that is waterproof.. I can always layer up socks for warmth.

• bbstx
    6 months ago

I, too, am looking for boots. I have Uggs and Ralph Lauren riding-style boots which are generally all I need; in fact, more than I need.

My Christmas present to the fam is a long weekend of skiing. I will not be skiing. Nevertheless, I need to keep my feet warm. From experience, I know the RL’s won’t keep my feet warm and the UGGs are not waterproof. So, I’m looking for relatively inexpensive boots that will keep my feet warm and dry.

I haven’t been skiing in more than 30 years. How tall do you think the shaft needs to be to keep my feet from getting wet?

• nicole___
    6 months ago

I don't like the high-school-geek look. Shoes or sweaters or coats. Count me out. I can't keep white shoes clean and they'd stick out if worn with any color other than a matching white. Everyone has a "look" they're going for...and the place they live may dictate a need.

If you really want water proof...they need to be plastic. These are water poof as far as the solid plastic goes....then the upper would be for splashes.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I don't like and can't wear a high shaft boot-- my blood disease makes my shins very sensitive. I don't know why as I don't have edema but I can't even have them massaged in a pedicure.

FWIW all of the boots I sharead are weatherproof-- obviously the two with rubber bottom are waterproof. Being that they are rubber-- they are washable. I went for cheapest .. and for a color I could live with. I won't be hiking or hitting snowy trails.. I will be shopping/dining out in a highly walkable town... which is about what I do here also. lol

Bbstx, I would think warmth would be your biggest concern-- I am assuming you are staying at a resort and that walkways will be cleared. You need to be warm but I can't imagine you'll be stepping into 2' of snow? At least that is my thinking for myself.. I will be going from a garage to a destination and then walking around. I am not trying to accommodate snow drifts etc (and I am trying to keep the cost under $75)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 months ago

I love the look of the second and third pair but when I try those on my (size 10) feet look enormous, Also, the part that makes them cute isn't visible with most things i wear -- just that big white toebox.

I like pair 1

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

ha yes-- my size 10 foot too. I really don't mind how my feet look in my current (insides falling apart) duck boots-- but the toe is brown. Of course, these are ivory ... if I like the shoe/fit, I can get them in brown or olive but for 2-3x the price (i got these on deep discounts).

I don't love the sketchers boot but if it is warm, I think I will appreciate it when out shopping for a whole day in the very cold. I think. If they aren't hideous on my feet. Also, 1 should fit in my suitcase better .. because I am not wearing boots on the airplane.

#2 was just delivered to my door.. will try them on later this afternoon.

• nicole___
    6 months ago

funky...My Merrell Moab hiking boots, I have 3 pairs, say they're waterproof...theyr'e not. If they get wet...I put on another pair while they dry out. That's why I have 3 pairs. 😂 My all plastic boots were highly uncomfortable....but water proof. I donated them.

Funkyart thanked nicole___
  • hhireno
    6 months ago

These are life changing, the secret to happiness, the best thing that ever happened to me, worth every penny, greatest invention ever made, and I might be underselling it. Little hotties toe warmers

I buy them from Costco, but I’m sure they are available elsewhere. The residual heat lasts longer than the 5(?) hours it claims. I have never needed more than one pair in a day.

I cannot verify other brands work as well, but I would imagine they do. I place it on top of my sock on top of my toes, not underneath. I tried the full foot style that you put under your foot and walk on, and didn't find them as comfortable. Except for the heavenly warmth, I don’t feel these at all when I wear them.

I wear them almost daily all winter, inside and outside, in every kind of shoe and boot. If my feet are warm, then the rest of me is warm, or at least warmer. In outdoor situations, I sometimes add the activated hand warmers in my pants pockets.

Obviously, they don’t help with any waterproof/wet issues but if you’re just looking for warmth, I cannot recommend these highly enough. I am not a paid spokesman, but I wish!

eta: I think they are a better price in the warehouse.

Funkyart thanked hhireno
  • bbstx
    6 months ago

I just ordered these, mainly because they are cheap and get good reviews.

Sperry Women's Saltwater Tall Rain Boot, $40 in this color, from AMZ. Reviewers say they are warm in snow.

Funky, you are correct. We will be at a resort. I’m assuming all the the walkways will be heated or shoveled. The only unknown is if we decide to take the kids on a snowmobile ride or something of that sort. I’m hopeful that we can rent the needed gear if we do.

@hhireno, thanks for reminding me of those! Last year, a group of us were scheduled for a whisky tasting dinner at a pub near DD and DSIL. The pub owner had planned to have it in tents outdoors. We had an unseasonable cold snap…I mean really cold. I wore DD’s UGGs with those footwarmers tucked down in them. My feet may have been the only warm place on my body, except when I tucked my hands in my pockets, where I had the handwarmers. We used the Hot Hands brand.

• nicole___
    6 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

@bbstx....Those are really nice looking! With the plastic toe and short heel...nice!

• Sueb20
    6 months ago

We randomly popped into an LL Bean outlet store today and I found a very light (but apparently warm) quilted jacket in a pretty fuschia color. 30% off. DD got a black one that had a tiny pinprick of a hole inside the hood — instead of 30%, when she pointed it out, they gave it to her for 50% off. So we did well, and I am excited about my non-neutral jacket.

I’ve been working on this scarf for way too long but now that I’ve realized it will be great with my new jacket, I’m motivated to get it finished before 2024!

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    6 months ago

Nicole, try a fur coat. In your cold zone, nothing is warmer than a fur coat. Mink is light weight compare to fox, lynx, coyote, raccoon, beaver, lamb. Rabbit is light too. There are many rabbit fur lined coats for wet days.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@nicole___ I also have merrell moab and while I haven't tried them in water, they weren't even on my radar for a pair of warm and semi-stylish boots.

@hhireno I buy those toe warmers for many of the men in my life each Christmas. Can't believe I didn't think of getting them for myself! Thanks for the reminder! (and I buy the same brand).

@bbstx those are cute -- if none of the ones i selected above, the mid height alpine saltwaters are on my list. There are many colors -- but i think the only ones I found that are close to the price you are getting for the higher shaft boots are in gold or some other whacky combo. Still, these (below) are a pretty good price also... but I have it in my head that sperry doesn't fit me well. The low duck boot is also sperry so it will give me a chance to try them out.

Note: All of the ones I chose in round one are very inexpensive but also easily returned. I have not found any local stores that have the sperry alpine in stock-- but realistically, they are the ones I expect to end up with. I just opted to try the cheapest/easiest options first! Also, they will take up the most room in my luggage. :(

• nicole___
    6 months ago

@Funkyart...Yes. Just making the comparison that just because the manufacturer says it's water proof....probably isn't. Because I have hiking boots...that suck at being water proof. Disappointing for sure.

@summersrhythm_z6a...not in a million years.

• bbstx
    6 months ago

DSIL’s mother had her old fur coat made into a trench coat lining. The outside is waterproof/water resistant trench coat fabric and it is lined in the old fur coat. She wore it in northernmost Norway in the dead of winter and it kept her quite warm, she said.

I’ve got my fingers crossed for the duck boots. Years ago, I wore DD’s when I had to be outdoors in the cold and rain for most of the day. IIRC hers were just waterproof. I was wearing 2 pair of cotton socks and my feet were freezing the whole time. Today I’m slightly smarter. I have merino wool socks now.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 months ago

Several years ago I bought a boot similar to this one to wear in winter weather. I love the shearling insole and when it is really cold I also use those toe warmers inside. I bought black boots, and even on my size 10 foot it doesn’t look horrible. I generally have Athleta hiking leggings tucked inside.

These have increased in price significantly but have some similar styles that are cheaper without the shearling at the top.

https://www.zappos.com/p/ugg-adirondack-boot-iii-mustard-seed/product/9075913/color/113272?zlfid=191&ref=pd_search_1_s_sp_1

Funky, I love your fur-lined coat! Happy that worked for you.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Nice looking boots, Outside! I have tried a number of Ugg boots but they've all been too clunky for walking very far (vs shoveling snow, sledding, traipsing through snow).

I received two of the above ..

I will be returning the Kamik. It was a little of a struggle to get it on but it did fit-- but with no room for socks and I don't think it would be all that warm. I will be returning.

The Skecher hands-free slip on boot (i had no idea it was hands-free slip on-- but it really was that easy to put on!) is more attractive than I expected ... in that wintery boot kind of way lol. It is by no means a fashion boot but it isn't ugly! The fur lining covers quite a bit of the inside but I don't think they are up to the single-digit temps I am likely to face on vacation. I DO think they will work well for running to B&N or the coffee shop in the typical winter temps here ... so I will be keeping them.

Still on the hunt for a WARM boot that I can walk all day in. I think I am going to look at insulated winter hiking boots vs winter snow boots.

• Irish2
    5 months ago

The Skechers were my pick as far as ”looks”

Slip on is a nice feature and I bet you will wear them more than anticipated. I have a pair of the Sperry quilted top rain boots that I purchased after returning a pair of Hunters that I wrestled trying to get on an off my size 10 feet.

Funkyart thanked Irish2
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I feared they'd look like my grandmother's old boots .. but they are pretty ok. I don't know that they will last long but I never wore sketchers before so maybe? The "slip on" deal is awesome lol.. I literally put in zero effort to get them on. And yes-- I imagine I will wear them more than I thought!

Niece recommended Hunters also .. but not sure they will be good in single digit temps? I do like the look of the Sperry boot but so many reports of them being hard to put on-- do you have problems getting them on, Irish2? I assume the zipper makes it easy?

• Irish2
    5 months ago

@Funkyart

I went to the ”archives” (basement storage) and brought up the ”Sperry’s” so i could try on and answer your question…they are a 9.5 with side zipper and ”I” didn’t have any problems

also, I recall now when bought the Hunters it was pre knee replacement and any twisting or pulling to wrangle on a boot was painful.

My one pair of skechers (black 😂) are comfy but I don’t wear much. I recalled that my slip on clogs were Encore by Merrill…very comfy and ready for a quick errand for coffee or CVS etc

TMI …

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

hahah the men in black!

I find that some boots are hard to put on a size 10 foot-- the classic uggs were that way for me (and I didnt like how they fit or looked). I guess it is about the angle and length and where it bends. I will try the sperry boot too I think ... but at this point I am ready to deal with cold feet lol. I am so tired of shopping and boxing up returns!

I CAN bend over and put on a boot but I can't tell you how easy the hands-free slip on boot is to get on-- i just literally stretched my leg out while I was typing to put my foot into it. It is so easy that I am going to buy a pair for my mom who does struggle to safely bend down and get her foot into a shoe.

ETA .. thank you so much for diving into the archives, @Irish2 .. that was so sweet!

• Irish2
    5 months ago

Funkyart ~ You are welcome my fellow ”influencer “ - the black low boot next to the Sperry’s are a suede fur lined Ugg that are comfy & WARM for me -I’ve had them for a few years now.

• bbstx
    5 months ago

I finally tried on the Sperry tall duck boots (see above on Oct 30). Let me re phrase that: I tried to try on the duck boots. The shaft buckled just above the heel and I never could get it on. I suppose if I had been willing to lace and unlace each time, I could have gotten them on. But I’m not willing to do that. So, back they go.

They were quite inexpensive a/k/a CHEAP and they looked it. DD says the sidewalks will be sufficiently groomed that I’ll be able to wear my UGGS.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I suspect your DD is right-- I just don't imagine that you'll need to walk through snow drifts!

I havent tried the Sperry boot yet either. I was going to try the lower alpine saltwater. It's on sale for a good price at a local store this week. I may give it a try if I get over that way.

I am thinking about trying the ugg romely .. but haven't been all that focused on boots (or shopping for myself) these last few weeks.

• smhinnb
    5 months ago

Funky, I mentioned on the boot thread that I recently purchased 2 pairs of Cougar boots for an upcoming long weekend away. They are advertised to be warm (to -11F) and waterproof. Primarily for me, they also have a removable insole to accommodate my custom orthotics - something that is often hard to find.

Anyway.... one of styles I ordered sort of reminds me of the UGGS you just posted (but slip on!) so I thought I would mention it.

I ordered these ones:

And I also considered these ones, which are on sale on the Cdn website. I might do an exchange... I'll decide when I receive the ones I've already ordered.

These ones (second photo) come in several colors.

I also ordered these:

Funkyart thanked smhinnb
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

ah smhinnb, your needs are similar to mine! I need warm and waterproof .. but I won't be trudging through snow.

I have seen the cougar brand but wasn't familiar with it -- I like both your first two boots but they are styles I shy away from with my big ol size 10 feet. Sometimes they look great-- sometimes they look like aircraft carriers on my feet! They can also be hard to slip a larger foot into.

I'll be curious to see how you like them.

• bbstx
    5 months ago

These are the UGGs I own.

I’ve never worn them. I bought them ”just in case.” Guess it is time to wear them.

• smhinnb
    5 months ago

Funky, Cougar is a Canadian company. In the 80s they came out with 'pillow boots' (I think they were called??) that were HUGELY popular, at least around here. When I was in high school EVERYONE had them. I especially remember the red lining, and you sort of laced them up so the red tongue was visible. Anyway.... Cougar hasn't even been on my radar for the last 30 years, but lately they have been popping up when I'm looking for boots. The removable insole can be such a PITA to find so I thought I would give them another try.

Funkyart thanked smhinnb
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 months ago

I bought the cougar Duffy's in cocoa. I think I'll be able to wear those to work which is outside ish on muddy trails and I like that the soles are brownish and not the stylish white. Also, I have read that ballerina sneakers for what it's worth, are the in shoe. These aren't it but close enough!

Funkyart thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

OK, I would have loved those in the 80s (when I still wore red lol). They weren't a thing here as I remember. I was in college/grad school in the 80s.

OK I didn't realize the Amour is not slip in but zipper in. It still has a huge uninterrupted expanse for a large foot but i think they are cute!

Bumble, the Duffy is cute too and on sale at Nordstrom -- are they warm? warm enugh for below 20deg?

I also like these.. and of course they are the most expensive! LOL. I don't NEED this substantial of a boot for this trip and they'd be a lot to pack-- but they would serve all my needs (and then some) forever and ever.

@bbstx I have bought SO many uggs over the years-- my nieces loved them and for awhile they were all my sister could wear after a foot surgery. I have yet to find a boot that worked for me-- they were always so clunky on me. I do love a few styles of their slip-on sneakers (as you know) and their slippers.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 months ago

Yes I bought them at Nordstrom and I don't know about anything under 20°, I don't go outside then! Southerner here!

Funkyart thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

Funky those are so pretty!

FWIW I found a coat that I like. I don't think it is particularly warm so I am buying some insulated vests for underneath. I like that it is nipped in a bit at the waist. Toggles are a pain but I like the look,

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Sueb20
    5 months ago

I just ordered 4 pairs of boots from Nordstrom Rack. I blame all of the above.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • bbstx
    5 months ago

@mtnrdredux_gw, look at the Columbia Omni-Heat vests to go under your coat. https://www.columbia.com/c/technology-omniheatinfinity/?prefv1=Vests&prefn1=productClass&pos=17

DD, our Sporty Spice, loves them. Sister borrowed one from her and loved it. DBIL then bought her one (or maybe two) for Christmas. P.S. the foil-looking lining does not crinkle or make noise.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

Thank you --- esp about the noise part!

• chinacatpeekin
    5 months ago

I wear Uniqlo ultra-light down vests, etc under my wool coats for added warmth. No crinkle :), no bulk, and very inexpensive. I’m getting ready for a planned December trip to NYC (as long as my recently broken wrist doesn’t interfere with my plans) and this method has worked perfectly with my Bay Area wardrobe on prior winter trips to cold-weather climes. I’ll also give another shout out to Uniqlo for their Heattech long underwear. Pre pandemic, I visited friends in Toronto in February and they were quite impressed with my Uniqlo winter wardrobe that kept me comfortable.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 months ago

China, I am so sorry about your wrist! I hope it heals quickly and easily. ❤️

• chinacatpeekin
    5 months ago

Thanks, Zalco!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I was soooo close to buying the cougar amour before I left today-- I left them in my cart and figured I'd order it when I returned.

Well .... I was surprised with a number of early Christmas gifts today. Sister and her kids wanted me to have them well in advance of my trip so I could plan. She knew my sizes had changed and she wanted to give me some new options. I was spoiled with gifts-- a number of sweaters, cashmere gloves and scarf and ... a pair of ugg boots. My nephew tracked down a pair of classic mini uggs with a zipper (since my big ol foot doesn't easily slip into the non-zip kind). They are not what I was looking for but they are so warm and they went to so much trouble to get them. I am so touched that they traveled out of their way to get them (the kids went to KoP to pick them up!) and I think they were a lovely thoughtful gift!

I think i am set for the cold weather!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

Funky, that is so sweet! I suppose thoughtful gift giving runs in the family. Hope you enjoy your stash. Those boots are cute!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Yes, I am feeling the love tonight 🥰

• maire_cate
    5 months ago

Funky - what a wonderful surprise! It just shows how much love your family shares for each other. Especially since they drove to KoP to pick them up. I avoid that drive if I can. Happy Thanksgiving.

Maire

Funkyart thanked maire_cate
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

OK, I am trying one more coat -- it's a little out of my comfort zone but way more the style "I live" vs the style "I want to live" lol. I love the beautiful and glamorous long coats but I just do not dress up much at all anymore ... and for getting in/out of the car (uber or family/friend cars), a short coat is much more convenient, no? Bonus, I got a great deal on it

Ralph Lauren Faux Shearling Moto Jacket

This will be additive .. so I will still have a longer coat when I need it. It isnt dressy either but I don't need dressy this winter ... so I will take my time to find the right dressier coat.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

Cute!

• happy2b…gw
    5 months ago

I like the fur lapels on the RL Moto jacket.

Funkyart thanked happy2b…gw
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 months ago

Ralph Lauren faux shearling jacket would look great on a person who has flat stomach.

Funkyart thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Doesn't everything look better on a person with a flat stomach?

I have worn this style before .. I have a much lighter weight felted wool moto jacket and also recently donating a houndstooth ralph lauren moto jacket. I think the style will work well ... but I can easily return if it doesnt or if the jacket is too "rugged" for me (a slight fear).

• Sueb20
    5 months ago

Ahem...thanks to this thread, I now have not one but three new pairs of boots. I ordered the Cougar Kendall boots -- had never heard of Cougar before but these seem like they will be nice and warm! I am wearing them around today to make sure they'll be comfy enough for walking around Chicago. I like the navy to wear with jeans.

Cougar Kendall Waterproof Boot (Women) | Nordstromrack

I also got the Clarks hearth rose boot because I needed new casual black boots.

Clarks® Hearth Rose Slouch Boot (Women) | Nordstromrack

And the Clark breeze because, well, cute and warm and they feel like slippers on.

Clarks® Breeze Faux Fur Lined Boot (Women) | Nordstromrack

All feel very comfortable.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Wow-- you really made out! I especially like the cougars -- and so perfect to wear with jeans!

There is a pair of cougars on sale at DSW that I really want to try-- but I don't want to offend my sister/niece/nephew who gave me the uggs above for Christmas.

• nicole___
    5 months ago

The shearling coat goes with your shearling UGG boots!

I have a shearling coat, but the sleeves are tight. A matching hat "and" boots. I don't think I've ever worn it ALL together. :0) I was looking for a balaclava in my deep Winter drawers. I came across Wool lined calfskin gloves and cashmere lined Isotoner gloves. Cool!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County