Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_18577967635

Palatine Rose 2024

Carlos Rodriguez
6 months ago

Palatine has page update with 2024 roses.

https://palatineroses.com/root-form/bare-root-rose/

Do you have a favorite?

Comments (152)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 months ago

I have space for 4 and will probably stick to that this year. What a shocker.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 months ago

I will still get up early and check often for Palatine’s opening but the only one I really really want is Carmen Wurth and the rest will just be cool if I get them.

I was really hoping to see Chartreuse de Parme, Chandos Beauty and more fragrant roses. oh well. Last year they had A TON so I can’t complain!

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

If i don't get my must have rose, i wont be buying either, lol lol. At least this year i will get some roses from Regan, I will have something new for my yard.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    6 months ago

It's so tempting. I would love Amour de Molene, Gruaud LaRose and Mitsoko. But I promised I'd spend a year not buying everything and just watching how my garden grows.

I'll have to have fun watching what you all get 😁

I think I'll limit my spring digging to moving a couple roses. Twilight Zone keeps burning in the afternoon sun, so I'll need to move it to morning sun only. Then Love Song gets too much shade, so she'll get Twilight Zone's spot. I'm thinking of moving Emily Brontesaurus to a trellis that's along the fence where Claire Austin isn't vigorous enough.... They'll swap since EB's spot is not a climber spot and CA seems like she'd be easier to keep trimmed as a shrub.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 months ago

I forgot Palatine carries Red Eden, a very nice red climber with good repeat

Micheal

I always thought San Jose was the ideal place to grow roses, I had no idea powdery mildew was an issue there. I definitely have a hotter summer here in Sacramento valley but we have very little issue with any fungal disease. I think Sweet Delight and Buxom Beauty will do terrific for you, I had guessed you lived somewhere much harsher than mild balmy San Jose, lol.

Oursteelers,

Beautiful Gruard Rose!

Carol,

What an incredible spouse you have, checks Palatine several times a day!

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

I had Red Eden, it tends to ball in my garden. i finally got rid of it after 6-7 years.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 months ago

freedomgardens has carried a few for the past few years. Itve wondered if he trials some. Aubade and Acropolis as well a the Piano series come to mind.

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

How are the Piano series, it’s popular a couple years back.

• elenazone6
    6 months ago

I was fortunate in the past two years to get everything I wanted. I wouldn't be too upset if I didn't receive roses from Palatine this year, but I might set an alarm as well.

Ben, I'm deciding between Red Eden and Florentina. Considering my fondness for red roses, the color of Florentina appeals to me more. What's your recommendation?

• Beth Hana
    6 months ago

Hey guys, I haven't been on here for awhile. Just wanted to help out with a few of these roses. FYI, almost all my roses are still in pots, as I haven't had time or energy to plant them. But they do ok. My summer temps are horrific. Where we moved to after the Camp Fire it gets triple digit hot from about the end of May thru the end of August. Torture!! I typically lose a few dozen roses every summer, even with shadecloth put up over 80% of them.

I got COOL CATS when they offered it two seasons ago. LOVE it!! So far it's been about 3ft, blooms in decent flushes, and the blooms are on the small size so far. Maybe 2½-3". Love the subtle greyish lavender/mauve color that often gets some green tones.

Got PEACH PERFECTION I think 3yrs ago. It can be an odd rose. It often will throw off weird pale peach blooms with vegetative centers, which I kind of like. But when it's like it's supposed to be, it's gorgeous, and very long lasting blooms no matter which style! Plant has stayed about the same size as CC.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 months ago

Beth,

Great to see you posting again , and those Palatine varieites look unique and wonderful. Where did you end up relocating?

Elena

The repeat on Red Eden is really good, and it has moderate scent. Quite a few of my friends grew Florentina and it had a great spring flush, but I never got a solid answer about repeat. Lady in Red has a hotter red shade, but it is the best blooming climber I have ever grown, almost never without color.

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Oursteelers - me too...I really wanted Chandos Beauty and Chartreuse de Parme.

Librarian - A year not buying anything? It's REALLY hard to stick to a promise like that. I like the nickname Emily Brontesaurus. lol I've seen in a few t.v. shows that new moms get "push" presents...maybe you can get a "push" present of a new rose. lol

Ben - yeah, I'll keep him. :) :)

Beth - so good to hear from you!! I'm sorry you have such heat to deal with. Thank you for the beautiful pics that will help us make up our minds. I really love the colors on your Cool Cats blooms...green even! Wow...Peach Perfection has even more color variants than Cool Cats has. Ooooh!!! I love your 2nd pic of ROSENFASZINATION!!

• Beth Hana
    6 months ago

BenT we moved about 45 min away to a little farming town on the hwy 99 corridor in between the town of Chico and Red Bluff. It's in the valley, and windy and hot. But we also get more freezes than we did up in the Sierras! Weird.

Carol, thanks!! I thought I had some pics of COOL CATS looking more of a pale grey-lavender with the green outers, but maybe I didn't get any shots of it when it was like that. It's a very interesting rose!

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Beth - yeah...I love its many looks...thanks for sharing. :)

6 months ago

Beth , do you still grow Savoy Hotel or anyone ? It looks like a perfect light pink.

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

Kristine, i posted a picture of Savoy Hotel in the fall thread.

6 months ago

Thanks SoCal. I appreciate it

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    6 months ago

Carol, I pushed for 6 minutes, so maybe I could get the tiniest miniature rose 🤣

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 months ago

Librarian as a member of the wee pushes camp, I still feel presents are deserved! Sometimes the physical cost of having those cute lil demon monkeys doesn’t show up until later in life!!!!!

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Librarian - lol...a little miniature rose :) :)

Oursteelers - so true!

6 months ago

I keep going ga ga over a facebook friends Pascal Sevren rose , turns out its other name is Julia and it is one that I have on my Palatine list. No wonder I couldnt find anything under Julia There is much more information on Pascal Sevren.

Now I have 2 too many roses on my wish list so the pots are back lol

• Kimberly Wendt (Florida Z. 10b)
    6 months ago

What a list of roses. For the Florida z.10 garden here are my picks (not that I'll get them).

Augusta Louise, Flora Colonia, Gruaud Larose, and Memoire.

6 months ago

All good ones Kimberly

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 months ago

I have all but Flora Colonia (the name just sounds like a probiotic or somthing to me) and they are wonderful!

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

Julia vs Sweet Delight, which one should we choose? They are both from breeder Michael Adam.

• Diane Brakefield
    6 months ago

Oursteelers, hahaha. Flora Colonia actually sounds worse than a probiotic to me. Your comment had me cracking up. Diane

6 months ago

SoCal, Julia is shorter but I think thst Sweet Delight gets better reviews, I could be wrong and usually am so I am getting both and Julia gets a pot until the shovel gets frisky again.

I just received the Edmonds catalogue amd talk about funky names, Flavorette, The Finest and powder Puff

Which is not a color that I would expect with that name.

• elenazone6
    6 months ago

Flora Colonia vs Amorosa? Which one would you choose? Both are new roses and not many reviews...

• The Rose Geek
    6 months ago

OurSteelers, every time I see the name i think the same 😂

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 months ago

Elena, I would pick whichever one is supposed to be more fragrant!

Kristine, I got that last night too, SO MANY bad names!

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Kristine - I think we'll love our Julia roses. Yours will be new and mine will be a year old, but I'm hoping for better since I won't inundate it with stored rainwater.

Kimberly - you'll love Gruaud Larose!!

Oursteelers - you are SO right about that name...never occurred to me. lol

GardenNut - for me Julia was very short and hated all the rainwater I gave it. Sweet Delight did better and the fragrance was divine...all the time!!! Always!! lol It flowered a lot. I love this rose!!

Kristine - Flavorette sure is a strange name! You are SOOO lucky to be able to get catalogs like that. There is no place here to get them...I've even contacted stores in the U.S....and they won't send them. Drat!

6 months ago

One more month until Palatine starts taking orders.

• berrypiez6b
    6 months ago

The suspense is killing me - and I'm not even ordering any Palatine roses.

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Berrypie - I think I'm only getting 2 roses...and they're ones that not too many people want, I'm hoping. :) Soeur Emmanuel and Amour de Molene.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 months ago

This is the lowest sense of anticipation I’ve felt since I started ordering from them. Not that I won’t be placing an order right away if I can, there just isn’t an insane feeling of urgency like usual

• berrypiez6b
    6 months ago

Carol , Amour de Molene would be my first pick, my compliments to rose forum people for their impeccable taste. oursteelers is getting the roses I would love to get from RU , Maybe I was a little too hasty to put myself on a rose buying diet.

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

Carol, Armour de Molene is on my list. If i don't get at least the 3 roses on my list i wont be purchasing any this year.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    6 months ago

Oursteelers, I don't think that's a bad thing. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    6 months ago

A lot of people want Amour de Molene. Heheh. Diane

6 months ago

Im pretty pumped about Mitsouko. It hasnt been offered for a bunch of years snd Garden Delight is exciting . But I agree that it is nothing like the last two years when there were so many exciting new offerings .

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Oursteelers - I feel the same way.

Berrypie - yeah, I was thinking after I had posted that Amour de Molene is going to go like firecrackers. Still hoping we can all get one.

GardenNut - I hope you get them. Maybe if my Phoenix Perennials in B.C. has lots of roses that I'll love, then I'll pass on Palatine. Can't believe I said that!

Diane - yeah, lol, I was thinking that after I had posted. I guess we'll see how it goes. :) :)

Kristine - yeah, I agree. Nothing as exciting as last year. I was so excited to see their list. Oh well. I wish Misouko (a perfume...think the rose would be strongly fragrant, right?) had more fragrance.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    6 months ago

While I'm not too excited about the Palatine roses this year, I'm really happy that Peach Perfection is back, except that it's the only rose I want.

I'm curious if there's anyone near Seattle who just wants one or two roses? Maybe we can order together and share the shipping.

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Feiy - oh my!!! Peach Perfection is a really great looking rose...those blooms are gorgeous!!

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    6 months ago

Yes Carol PP is a beautiful rose with light fragrance, but I would rather it be healthy. I especially appreciate its color changes in various stages. It's a pity that Palatine didn't carry it last year.

6 months ago

Last year did we phone or online order?

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

I think it’s online order, i only grabbed 3 very quickly because I wanted AL.

6 months ago

Thanks SoCal, that is what I thought.

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Feiy - it certainly is beautiful!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 months ago

I also ordered online