Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyliwf

STILL need a backsplash… HELP!!

Carly
5 months ago

Struggling to choose a backsplash! All of the “white” in the house, including cabinets, is very creamy. Would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thoughts on the slab?? THANK YOU!!

Comments (59)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 months ago

My standard response is that a backsplash should provide a background and not attempt to be the star of your kitchen. Since your kitchen is somewhat devoid of pattern I might suggest a tile to match your lower cabinets. It could be subway or arabesque lantern tile that would provide a bit of pattern without overwhelming. Even though I like the slab installed as a backsplash I'm finding it a bit overpowering and distracting.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Paul F, THANK YOU!!!
    I’ve been trying to figure that out forever! Is it a program, an app, wizardry?? I would love to know…

• Jenny
    5 months ago

I think that's gorgeous. I also think that cleaning it will be a nightmare.

• Paul F.
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Photoshop! That just me guessing how the stone will appear with your particular lighting, as Patricia says. I have it all cued up to easily swap for another slab if you'd like to see it.

Carly thanked Paul F.
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 months ago

The slab is pretty awesome, IMO. I'd also consider a hex tile in black with a creamy white grout.

Black Kitchen Backsplash with Winckelmans Hex Tile · More Info

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

I love it as is without a backsplash and would not change a thing. There is such a great sense of layout and proportion between the white on this wall and the white in the rest of your home and in the white triangle above the wood row of cabinets (or is that a beam)? I totally get your inspiration and the slad is beautiful, but I just think the way it is now is design perfection.

• acm
    5 months ago

Your counter is going to be quite busy, so I'd avoid a busy backsplash. If you were staying with the black, I'd suggest a green, but with the spotted counter, maybe just echo the white tone in glass?

Rio Del Mar Kitchen With Natural Lighting and Wood Cabinetry · More Info

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Paul F, if it's not too much trouble... I would LOVE that!!

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

• Shasta
    5 months ago

That 3rd slab is gorgeous! Calacatta?

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Right!?!

NO, Magnifica Encore 60" x 126" - 12mm Polished Porcelain Slab in Invisible Grey

• PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    5 months ago

I like the second one in your post with the 4 slab samples. I like that it is less busy and has the same tone as the wood in your cabinets. If those are staying I 'd go with that one. For a back splash I'd keep it simple to avoid having it look too busy

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 months ago

Wow, your cabinets are coming across as very cool, bright white on my monitor.

But to the marble slabs, they are all gorgeous. Depends on the feel you want. Using a boldly veined marble is making a more dramatic statement than plain white tile. What do YOU like?

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I THOUGHT I liked the carbone, )so much so I bought a slab). Then Paul F kindly photoshopped it into my kitchen and I felt it was waaay too much. I’m so grateful he did that! Now, I know I want something softer. Other than that….I dunno 😔

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you sooooo much!! That is so helpful! Now, to decide….

• NN Swaby
    5 months ago

I’d say 1st or 4th with those slabs. 1st is a little more bold and 4th is Subtle yet beautiful!

• Jenny
    5 months ago

Not that it matters, but my favorites are 1 and 4.

• Iluvdark kychns
    5 months ago

Great minds.....! I like 1 and 4 as well. I especially like 1. However I would try if you can bring home a sample. The photoshop definitely helps in narrowing down the choices (thanks Paul) but it's a big decision so I suggest seeing two or three of your favorites choices in the flesh.

• rebunky
    5 months ago

Nicely done Paul!

Carly your home is gorgeous!

If it were my choice, I would go for one of the last two quieter stones that Paul mocked up. I lean towards the last one. I like that it has some black veining to tie back to the black countertop. The veins stand out, yet they are not super busy. Also the thiner veins kind of mimicks the long thin black cabinet hardware. 🥰

• kl23
    5 months ago

@Paul F you saved the day! I like the one with just a touch of caramel to tie together both the wood and the black elements.

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

I like the caramel latte as well.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Now, you’re just showing off! 😂😉
    Loving the runner. The green rug scares me!

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

Just trying to shake it up a little. IMO, if you do such a great slab in the kitchen you'll have to step up the visual interest elsewhere. The dining room suffers in comparison but that could be just styling. All eyes will be on the back wall otherwise. If you don't want color, then texture, contrast. Lowering the light fixture a bit so it can be seen better I think would help. Please faux the beams with a little stain so you can't see where the wall was taken down.

• Isaac
    5 months ago

What a gorgeous space!

You could always go in a very different direction with an orange or green tile to accentuate the MCM feeling.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Indeed! That picture was several months old, the beams have since been addressed 😉
    The reason the light fixture hangs at the current height…

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Current

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Kitchen view

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

omg and I did that for free! Just joking. I worked at nickelodeon for years doing background photoshopping. I find it relaxing. I'm seeing tons of blue out that window.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Ha! The floor is green/blue slate.
    Today’s view is blue. Sometimes pink and orange and sometimes gray. I could get behind the blue rug though for sure!
    Had a runner down the hall to soften it up and loved it but…..teenagers 🤦🏻‍♀️
    The one you chose looks like it may hold up better and I love the neutrals. Great find!

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

I used to live in the Hollywood Hills with a view above Universal Studios… They had a fireworks display every night. I sure miss that view.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Wow! Now, that sounds pretty incredible

• rebunky
    5 months ago

Wow! What an incredible view!!!

The Calacatta gold looks nice too. But, I would say no to the strong patterned runner. 🫣Steals attention from the slab backsplash.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

Your house and view are stunning. I like the 1st slab that everyone else likes. It does add a touch of drama, but that’s a good thing.

Are you looking for a runner for the hall? And something in the sitting area?

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

This seems more appropriate for your house for the hallway.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

Other runner ideas to consider.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

RedRyder, thank you!!

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

• Ally
    5 months ago

Not sure if we have moved on from the backsplash but I like #1 for the reasons that K L states.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Definitely have NOT moved on from the backsplash! Thank you!! I’m liking #1 too. Also kinda liking the soft gray of #4… But, is gray going “out?”

• PRO
    5 months ago

I don't believe that gray is going "out" unless you mean the drab, monochromatic, gray walls/floors/rugs/upholstery/pillows/lamps/etc.etc. The serene, sleek greige look which I think started with the Belgian designer Axel Vervoordt, has morphed into the ubiquitous tyranny of gray, devoid of texture and interest. THAT gray look is hopefully on the way out.

However, your home is beautiful, warm and inviting, and gray works so well with the brown of your cabinetry and woodwork, so using a soft gray slab for the backsplash would be very nice. As I said before, I think any of them would work, it's really up to you. And Paul F.'s photoshopping really helps in the decision process.

• palimpsest
    5 months ago

If you do an active slab, I would forego the floating shelf in front of it.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you for your insight Diana! What you said makes all the sense and I appreciate you taking the time.

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Diana, which do YOU prefer??

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 months ago

@Carly, I agree with @ebunky . I love the way the 5th backsplash that Paul F. photoshopped abd oisted yesterday, looks - just enough black to look wonderfuly. I also like the 4th, but not as much as the 5th.

Gray is certainly has gone out already everyplace I know of. It is just to depressing to live with for most people.

The important thing though, is for you to really think about what you can live with from day-to-day for many months. That which will be pleasing to the eye and doesn't feel as if you made a mistake in the selection. And one that won't make you nervous and jumpy and out of sorts. I went through this about five years ago and finally decided to think about it that way. I still love my kitchen every single day I walk into it and have never regretted one decision. Please do yourself a favor and think about it that way before making a decison.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 months ago

did i ever mention finger or Kitkat tiles earlier? it's perfct for your space. they come in all colors

The slabs paul put in are nice too, but if you want more of an mcm vibe, i'd do the kitkats in a nice color. maybe pull the teal from the slate floor

they have a speckled white/black/gray one

Glazed Porcelain Mosaic Tile Sheet Sevilla KitKat Fingers 6"x1" Glossy White · More Info

or you could look at the Makoto tile from Bedrosians and do something like this

here's a white kit kat. look at the black and white terrazzo sink. what if you did a tile like this?

This mother of pearl and black cement tile is cool

https://lilitile.com/products/mother-of-pearl-terrazzo-cement-tile?variant=39247768322219

i like the black, but you could do a white terrazzo too.

or check out the Zebra cement tile in a terrazzo finish. CementTileShop

https://www.cementtileshop.com/collection/ZebraTerrazzo.html

Carly thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    5 months ago

I love the one with the gold tones--is that the Calacatta?

• Carly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

This one?

• PRO
    5 months ago

Yes.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!