Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Cute Christmas garnish — rosemary “trees”

Jilly
4 months ago

This was on my IG feed and I thought it was such a neat idea. I have a huge rosemary bush, so am going to do this on something.

*On a sidenote, Houzz listened to use iPad Safari users and fixed the glitches. Thank you!*

Comments (15)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

It looks like an inverted branch, I am guessing you strip one end for a "trunk?" So cute. I think it would need to go in something more stable than a dip?

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 months ago

K, it’s Black Forest Trifle. It sounds way too rich and sweet for me:

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/black-forest-forest-trifle/?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-deliciousmag&utm_content=later-39404715&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

Your dip sounds so good!

Mtn, I think so, yes (about stripping one end).

I wonder about doing a ”snowy” version for certain desserts.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 months ago

I might dip the stems in wax so you dont flavor that yummy dessert w rosemary?

You can also dip the sprig in a simple syrup and dust with powdered sugar if you dont have edible foil or glitter

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    4 months ago

Love this! I think the chocolate could only be improved with rosemary essence but then I like rosemary and not chocolate lol!

I am disappointed every year I do not get a rosemary tree for Christmas ... mostly because every year I end up killing it at some point :(

Jilly thanked Funkyart
  • Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

@Jilly Very clever. Thanks!

Jilly thanked Fun2BHere
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 months ago

That is a cute and simple idea!

I have lots of fresh rosemary in my yard too - I like the idea, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it on a chocolate dessert.The rosemary I have is very fragrant and just brushing against the leaves releases a lot of the oil.

I do like rosemary with squash and sweet potatoes, tho - and of course with savory things too.

I can envision it on a charcuterie tray as well.

Jilly thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Jilly thanked nekotish
  • Kswl
    4 months ago

That is another clever idea Nekotish!

A rosemary tree in my dip would last about as long as it takes to get a photo, lol, but that’s ok. It’s all about the presentation even if just the first person who dips in is the only one who sees it. 😁

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • nicole___
    4 months ago

Have any of you tried edible glitter? Is it gross? (It's in the chocolate recipe)

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Gargamel
    4 months ago

That looks so cute (and delicious too)

Thanks for the update about Safari - I haven’t been able to see any comments (or reply) for 2 weeks and kept getting the same answer from Houzz…as if it were something wrong with my device

Jilly thanked Gargamel
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 months ago

I used to have some edible glitter, but that was many years ago now. What I had was tiny, shiny. translucent colored flakes of something that was tasteless and dissolved in your mouth. I imagine it was gelatin or similar.

Not sure what is being used today, tho.

Jilly thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • teeda
    4 months ago

That looks so cute Jilly! I used to make a "wreath" bread bowl spinach dip for Christmas Eve back in the last century, lol. I hollowed out round rye bread for the dip, then inserted circled rosemary stems around the edges along with some sugared cranberries. It was a big hit. Thought I'd be able to easily find photos online, but I guess bread bowl dips are long out of fashion!

Jilly thanked teeda
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Mmm, Teeda, I want that dip right now!

• Kswl
    4 months ago

Love that bread bowl wreath idea Teeda. My dip was too soft to support even a little rosemary branch (or leaf or frond or whatever it is). BUT the ranch dip i made for DD and the kids (who are coming tomorrow) is unusually robust and i may try to plant one in that.