Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Lighting question

mtnrdredux_gw
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

As mentioned before, I am taking over a little sitting room off my kitchen in Maine in order to make what i call a "pantry annex" for kitchen items. I met with the contractor today. This is a rough mockup where I superimposed pieces I own (sink, faucet, and gray-blue work table) onto a picture of the existing room (shiplap on all four planes), and added a photo of shelves I'd seen.

My question is about lighting.

The room has no overhead lighting. It does have a sconce on a wall not pictured.

I thought I would add three sconces like these I put in in CT:

But those are not impeded by shelving. The carpenter in Maine thinks I want at least 14" deep shelves (the workbench is 28" deep, so a bit more than a standard counter for example). WDYT? 14" or 16" or?

I first considered these:

But do I need these:

Or something else entirely?

Comments (13)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    4 months ago

If possible, I’d want a small ceiling light. Then you want sconces that extend past the shelves, or you want under-shelf lighting. Or uplighting?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I am not sure about a ceiling light, we have to see what the electrician says. It is literally a wooden box with shiplap on walls, floors and ceiling (way before Joanna Gaines LOL) and we don't want to disturb too much. Even for the sconces, I told them they can surface mount and leave exposed cloth covered wires (as we did in CT, if you look closely).

I think it the lights are as big as these, I lose the top shelf?

• Jilly
    4 months ago

Oh, that sink. 😍

I want you to use old ceiling lights.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Jilly
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 months ago

Even if you could do it, an overhead ceiling light would cast shadows when standing at the bench to do any tasks.

I like the idea of a folding/adjustable swing arm - seems very useful.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • tuesday_2008
    4 months ago

Have you thought about hanging one on each side wall projecting the light slightly towards the shelving instead of top mounted? But that would involve wiring on each side.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked tuesday_2008
  • palimpsest
    4 months ago

I would do wall to wall shelves or at least one wall to wall shelf across the bottom with a slight apron, and undercabinet lighting to light the work surface

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • Kswl
    4 months ago

Agree with Pal but would do all shelves as he suggests— carpenter built, wall to wall with a sturdy apron, using undermount lights on the bottom shelf to light the work surface in addition to sconces. The shelves shown (not sure if they are a choice or just a convenient picture for mock up) don’t seem to match the vibe of your other elements IMO. They will also date your design to the 2010-2020’s.

Like the double jointed sconces and if you space them out (3 across the width of the wall) you will still have plenty of storage on the top shelf. If you do use shelves that are not wall to wall, the end two sconces can be mounted so they are not even over the shelves and the light angled in toward the work surface below.

• Allison0704
    4 months ago

Wall to wall with wooden brackets.

Pegs on this one.

Detailed brackets on this one, and only two shelves.

Railing below for hanging items.

Or one of his more simple metal brackets, from the UK. LINK

ETA: Got sidetracked - The double jointed lights have been everywhere for awhile now, would you rather have something different? How will you use the counter and sink? If it is mainly for storage and not prepping, then I would not do wall sconces over the shelves. Prepping, I like Pal's suggestion, in that it keeps the wall cleaner (as much as I hate undercounter lights and never turn ours on). Maybe not so bright, or can they go on a dimmer?

A ceiling light with a cloth covered cord. Cord held tight against the wall and ceiling with U-shaped nails (used for vines) painted room color.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I am not sure what about the mockup is leading people to think the shelves are not wall to wall ... the room is 10' wide and so is the workbench ... the shelves will be wall to wall.

The primary use is storage, by far. I have a big double drainboard sink in the K, and a full size sink in the butler's pantry. I do not really need particularly good task lighting, but there is only one window in the room and I will want some lighting.

I see your point about these lights (which I always thought of as library lights) as being very trendy in K now. However, they are the best way to clear the shelves. And i don't think I mind only have two shelves. The carpenter was very skeptical about the usability of the third one anyway. And yes I would do three lights. One centered over the sink, and then the far left one inset by the same amount, the last one going in the middle.

I love cloth covered cords and will use them even if we do sconces. Plus then they won't have to open up the wall. Honestly an overhead like Allison shows would also be nice ... let's see what the electrician says.

Allison I was set on replicating the shelves exactly (the bench is pretty distressed so I want things utilitarian) but I like these brackets from your link, and they pick up the brass:

Thanks all. Now I just have to be patient, grrrr. He cannot start on this until after the holidays "at least."

• nicole___
    4 months ago

I like the longer double jointed one...I own two...they are really nice! It could span a wider shelf.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nicole___
  • Olychick
    4 months ago

Maybe a glass shade for more ambient than focussed lighting?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Olychick
  • salonva
    4 months ago

lol Jilly--- I do like the first one Oly posted above.