Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willandanne

How often do you sit at your kitchen island?

willandanne
5 months ago

Please answer my poll-- If you have seating at your kitchen island, I'd like to know if you use it regularly and love it OR if you have regrets.
I'm hearing conflicting opinions from family, friends, contractors, and kitchen designers about whether island seating is a beloved, must-have feature or a poorly-functioning trend that looks nice on paper but is going the way of the kitchen desk.
We are renovating our kitchen - dining room combo and considering traditional island seating next to a dining table and chairs or just the dining table and chairs. Please share your opinion!

Every day
Once or twice a week
Less frequently

Comments (39)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 months ago

Island is for breakfast (which I devour while husband is showering) and an occasional lunch. Any meal worth lingering over I prefer to sit at the table.

• lharpie
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Depends on layout!

I’d use stools occasionally but don’t like them squished back to back to back against table chairs. we only have a kitchen table no island and i prefer that to stools only in kitchen.

• vinmarks
    5 months ago

We do not eat meals at our island but I do sit there daily. We do have a dining table opposite our island. We will on occasion eat appetizers at the island.

I should add that we do not have young kids. In our previous house when the kids were younger they ate breakfast at the island on school days and did homework there as well until they got older.

• Kayla C
    5 months ago

My family of 5 uses the island daily. We do not have an “eat in kitchen” with a separate space for a kitchen table but rather it’s open to the living room. I maybe could have eliminated the island and done a table, but I wanted additional counter and prep space nearby the stove because I cook a lot.

We have a dining room but mostly use that for my home office and for larger family gatherings. I like the island for feeding the young kids because the cooking and eating mess is contained to one room instead of spanning into the dining room too. The kids also do homework/art at the island. It’s truly the center of our home.

• Missy Bee
    5 months ago

I really do not want anyone sitting at my island talking to me while I cook. It interferes with my concentration and I make mistakes, forget what I just did or burn something. If I want to have a chat I prefer to sit together over a meal or coffee….

• chispa
    5 months ago

In my previous we had seating along a long peninsula, on the short end of the peninsula on the short end of the island. One of my kids used the peninsula for homework after school. When I remodeled I only kept the seating along the long side of the peninsula. It was only used during parties. For every day meals we sat at the kitchen table. We also had a formal dining room.

In our current house I only did seating on the short end of the island, so I can fit 2 large comfortable stools. We never sit there. My parents will sit there when they stay and guests will sometimes use them. I also have a breakfast table next to the island and a formal dining room.

• marilyncb
    5 months ago

It’s just me and my husband most of the time. We always eat dinner at the dining room table, but have breakfast, lunch, afternoon coffee breaks, and the occasional “cocktail hour”, at the island.

• Iri
    5 months ago

I don't use it but I would use a kitchen desk.

• KW PNW Z8
    5 months ago

We have an angled counter top height island 10’ 4” from outside corner to corner that seats 4 comfortably with a dining table behind one side of it. My husband & I use the island for 100% of our meals. When my sister & her husband visit overnight, we do eat dinner at dining table but all other food is eaten at island. We had 2 couples over yesterday for afternoon apps & drinks. They parked at island & were quite settled in. The app & beverage set ups were on perimeter counters. My husband & I finally pulled dining chairs over & sat on inside of island facing our guests since I couldn’t seem to move them to dining table seating for 6 or into Great Room. The angeled island lends itself to good conversational seating. So, I’d say our island is an important feature in our kitchen. On a side note, 3 years ago we had this island cut down from a 2 level height to all counter height. 43” high bar attached to counter height sink, DW & counter. We had the same deal then - everyone gathered in kitchen & sat at bar! The great room is right there too but everyone’s in the kitchen!

ETA: I should add this about island functionality. Mine has kitchen sink & DW in it so it gets used a lot. Lowering the island to all counter height opened up the kitchen & created much more useable work / prep counter space. Game changer.

• Jenny
    5 months ago

We never ate at the peninsula when we had it, I would work on my laptop there sometimes until I had my desk. Now that I am retirement age I find sitting at counter height very uncomfortable so we are having a table and chairs and eliminating counter height seating in our kitchen currently under renovation.

• kculbers
    5 months ago

I had my galley style kitchen renovated a few years ago. My kitchen designer said I had enough room to include a large eat in island, in lieu of the table and chairs that I had at the end of my long kitchen. Both my husband and I like eating at a table. So, we chose the renovations for the table and chairs. When the kitchen was completed, we decided to have our 40 year old solid oak table and chairs refinished by a local family owned refinisher. It came out beautifully! We have a double window near our table that adds a lot of natural light. I have friends that were sorry their kitchen renovations were done with islands, in lieu of table and chairs. This issue is purely a personal choice. Best of luck on your journey!

• justcallmepool
    5 months ago

My family of 4, including 2 young kids, eats every meal at the island. The kitchen is open to the family room that has a couch, chairs &tv. Originally we planned on a small table next to the island to be used for meals, but there really isn't enough room. I preferred more space in the family room.

If I did it over I would lower one end of the island to mimic a table so we could sit on at least 3 sides. As-is, DH sits on the end and the girls and I sit along a long side. It works for now. When they are older, we may take our plates to the DR table which is within view and just a few steps away.

It does bug me when the island becomes the dumping spot for stuff. IDK how to avoid that

• Kayla C
    5 months ago

Adding a photo. Mine is a tabletop island with seating on three sides. It fits all three kids on the big chairs until they can graduate to stools one day, if we decide to do that.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 months ago

I have a freestanding island with two stools. Never sit at it.

• Mrs Pete
    5 months ago

We have a peninsula, not an island, but we have 3 very nice barstools for seating. We also have a 4-person breakfast table + a larger dining table ... it's too many seating spots. In the 22 years we've lived in this house:

- We've used the peninsula for seating 3-4 times ... when we had more people than the tables could seat. Typically we use the peninsula for serving, so the seating isn't available.

- The table is nicer for sitting down with the family because we all face one another, making conversation more pleasant.

- I've never sat down to prep food ... I stand on the other side of the peninsula. If I were older or less healthy, I might choose to sit.

- If it's just me eating a sandwich or a some leftovers, I typically stand in the kitchen looking out towards the family room ... I never walk around the peninsula and sit down, even though it would take no effort. I think it's about looking out towards the TV news in the morning. Again, if I were older or less healthy, I might choose to sit.

- No one has ever sat at the peninsula while I'm cooking. If we didn't have the kitchen table RIGHT THERE, this might be different. Often someone sits at the kitchen table while someone else is working.

- After her hip replacement, my mother LOVED sitting at the peninsula ... the stools are higher than our kitchen chairs, and she liked that the chairs swivel. But since she healed, she sits at the table again.

- My youngest took the barstools away to a college apartment for a year (her apartment had no space for a table). I didn't miss them.

• Anne Duke
    5 months ago

Peninsula and two counter height stools used 2-3 daily. When we have company I tend to have everything prepped and mostly cooked in advance, so I’m not actually cooking and the mess is gone. On those occasions the peninsula is used for appetizers and drinks, then serve yourself unless I’m plating.

• Lynn Lou
    5 months ago

We eliminated our kitchen table and did a larger island during our renovation. We have four comfortable swivel chairs with backs that can be tucked under the counter (located at one end and away from prepping area). We usually eat dinner there everyday and I sometimes work there with laptop. Oftentimes I just stand there and eat something for breakfast/lunch. If it is more than just hubby and I, then we use the dining room that is right off the kitchen (through a doorway and not open to kitchen).

Good luck making your decision!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    5 months ago

We have a peninsula that backs to the dining table, and usually have breakfast and lunch there. Dinner at the dining table. The peninsula is great for my space since it opens up the middle of the kitchen, and usually keeps guests out of the way. And it’s a big prep space as well.

• course411
    5 months ago

We use our island every day. it seats 4 (2x2 configuration) and we absolutely love it.

• Caroline O
    5 months ago

I eat breakfast and read the newspaper everyday at out island, and my husband and I eat lunch there. I was careful to choose stools with some back support. My only regret is that w our open-concept layout, I face the working part of the kitchen instead of windows.

• lucky998877
    5 months ago

You will get different answers from different generations...boomers vs millenials, their lives are not alike. Their life styles and needs are not the same. I don't know where your family fits, so just go with how you live.

• rwiegand
    5 months ago

Never, not ever.

One, island seating encourages others to intrude into your work space even more than they already do, two, I at least, hate elevated chairs with your legs dangling. I know they are all the rage, but I just don't get how something so uncomfortable can be so popular. Give me a table height table any time, the ergonomics are way better.

• lmckuin
    5 months ago

Kids will snack and chat with me (and maybe do homework) while I cook. But unless we have people over and no table space, no one eats meals at our island.

• Missy Bee
    5 months ago

Just a note on high seating such as counter or bar height. Up until last year we had bar height chairs with upholstered seat and black iron frames with lateral cross piece at right height for foot support….NO DANGLING FEET. They were very comfortable.

• lhmarmot
    5 months ago

Ours is a counter height peninsula, with the dining table adjacent to it. Meals are eaten at the dining table, but the bar gets "perched" at regularly. To chat with the cook, to do paperwork... great to have that extra space. In our past homes, the island seating was most used when there was company and we needed extra space like at holiday gatherings.

• S M
    5 months ago

Our island stools are also counter height, upholstered and with foot rests. My 85 year old parents love sitting and eating at the island. If they’re over for dinner they usually go directly there rather than to dining table, go figure. So maybe island seating isn’t a negative for older people. We do have a very generous overhang so it’s quite comfortable to sit there. I also love the extra workspace and serving space for buffets the island provides

• vinmarks
    5 months ago

The OP never said she was not having a table. Just because you have seating at an island doesn’t mean all your meals are taken there.

Seating at an island does not encourage people to intrude into the work space. Quite the opposite. It keeps them on the other side of the island outside of the workspace.

We have counter height saddle stools at our island which have a bar for feet to rest. Feet do not dangle.

• Missy Bee
    5 months ago

Caroline O…I love your kitchen!

• Buehl
    5 months ago

Our peninsula seats are not used often. My DD and I will occasionally sit there if we're both prepping at the same time (one sits and the other stands on the Kitchen side). My DH & DS never sit there.

There are a few reasons ours aren't used as often, I think:

• Number 1 is that for my DH & DS, the overhang is too shallow and either they have to swivel and sit sideways or they have to "straddle" the back of the cabinets to sit close enough to the counter. Our overhang is 15" of clear/leg knee space. My DD and I (6' & 5'10", respectively) just barely fit at the peninsula -- but our knees do "touch" the backs of the cabinets. My DH & DS are 6'5" & 6'7", so no sitting there! It's too bad b/c my DH had originally looked forward to using it for breakfast in the mornings, but b/c the overhang is too shallow, he does not -- he was disappointed when we finished our Kitchen & he discovered the overhang issue. If I had known, I would have increased it to at least 18" and maybe even 21". The fact is that the recommended minimum of 15" is really for short-to-average height people, not tall people. I would recommend an overhang of 15" if everyone is 6'0" or shorter and 18" if anyone is > 6'0".

• In general, I prefer the lower seating of a table for anything longer than 30 minutes or so -- it's just more comfortable overall. (Note: Those boot bars, to me, are not comfortable to use long-term. They start to be uncomfortable on my feet over time and my knees don't like the tight knee bend long-term when they're on the chairs.)

• Another reason is that it's easier to visit with people when we're seated around a table than sitting like ducks in a row at the peninsula. We only have 3 seats, but it's still not as "friendly" to sit there as it is at a table.

• As to older people, the poster above whose parents prefer the counter is, I think, an exception. I know that my 88 year old mom & MIL as well as our older friends tell me they don't like counter seating. The like their feet planted firmly on the floor (for balance & ease of getting up), find it's easier to stretch their legs, and the lower height helps them to sit straighter (as opposed to leaning in).

Would I put in seating if I had it to do over? Yes, but with a deeper overhang. It is nice when my DD and I are prepping to be across from each other and I, at least, do occasionally sit there (maybe 3 or 4 times a month). It's nice to have the option. HOWEVER, if it meant losing badly needed storage space or sacrificing decent aisles, I would NOT put it in.

• Buehl
    5 months ago

BTW...most people I know who got the high top tables 10 years or so ago when they became all the rage have now replaced them with standard tables! I've also noticed that the high top tables that some restaurants have are not used nearly as much as the standard height tables & booths. In fact, if the restaurant is packed in general, they ask if we're OK sitting at one of the high tops -- we say no. Apparently, not may people like sitting at them. What I have noticed is that it's usually younger people (teens to early 30-somethings) sitting at them as opposed to mid-30s & up.

• jo mu
    5 months ago

My family and I are big island sitters lol since I was a kid in all our homes and now in their homes as well as all the apartments I have ever lived in.

But make sure depth is at least 12inches!

I lived in a place with 9/10 inches of overhang and I hated it kept hitting my knees

• jo mu
    5 months ago

My family and I are big island sitters lol since I was a kid in all our homes and now in their homes as well as all the apartments I have ever lived in.

I lived in a place with 9/10 inches of overhang and I hated it kept hitting my knees

• jo mu
    5 months ago

I always invest in stools with backs for this reason

• S M
    5 months ago

I also don’t like sitting at bar height/ high top seating , where you have to climb up into chair. I find the counter height chairs to be fine. Even my elderly mom ( who probably stands 5’1” on her tippy toes) is fine sitting there. My Dad , who had knee replacements years ago has trouble getting up out of low seats and loves the counter stools. He will pull one over by sofa sometimes to sit with us. Guess as with many things, it boils down to personal preference

• S M
    5 months ago

Overhang is also 20” , so DH can sit comfortably at 6’6” and parents can sit close to countertop. Maybe a smaller overhang where you are having to sit back from the countertop would make things less desirable

• willandanne
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you to everyone for weighing in both on the poll and in the comments!

As of right now, about 2/3 of responders sit at the island frequently and 1/3 rarely sit there.

This is a large enough number to explain why some people IRL advised me, "It's a waste! Nobody I know uses them!" (not just "I don't use mine.") That group's views may also be influenced by the kitchens they visit most frequently-- neighbors who might have the same home builder with poor layout skills, or friends around their same age with similar lifestyles. I asked the question of you guys because I was really surprised anyone in my real life would say seating is on the way out.

The comments here also helped me to realize we probably DO fall in the group that would frequently use island seating. (Young child, lots of quick meals/snacks, rarely use formal dining room) I am so uncomfortable in seats where my feet dangle and I hate pushing in extra tall chairs, so thank you for the tips about foot rests and swivel chairs. I also appreciate everyone's layout likes and dislikes.

One thing I also want to share was a coincidental, timely offsite comment from a architect influencer about a layout we were considering. (There is a popular "inspiration photo" of a kitchen with built-in booth seating up against the island facing out.) She was steering people away from this because it makes your layout less flexible, harder to clean, AND creates an obstacle you have to walk around. I realized she's right-- all those cool Pottery Barn and West Elm (or custom!) banquettes work a lot better along an outside wall rather than integrated into the heart of an open kitchen/dining space.

We're still designing, so I'd love to hear more comments about what you love and what you regret about your island seating.

• willandanne
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you to everyone for weighing in both on the poll and in the comments!

As of right now, about 2/3 of responders sit at the island frequently and 1/3 rarely sit there.

This is a large enough number to explain why some people IRL advised me, "It's a waste! Nobody I know uses them!" (not just "I don't use mine.") That group's views may also be influenced by the kitchens they visit most frequently-- neighbors who might have the same home builder with poor layout skills, or friends around their same age with similar lifestyles. I asked the question of you guys because I was really surprised anyone in my real life would say seating is on the way out.

The comments here also helped me to realize we probably DO fall in the group that would frequently use island seating. (Young child, lots of quick meals/snacks, rarely use formal dining room) I am so uncomfortable in seats where my feet dangle and I hate pushing in extra tall chairs, so thank you for the tips about foot rests and swivel chairs. I also appreciate everyone's layout likes and dislikes.

One thing I also want to share was a coincidental, timely offsite comment from a architect influencer about a layout we were considering. (There is a popular "inspiration photo" of a kitchen with built-in booth seating up against the island facing out.) She was steering people away from this because it makes your layout less flexible, harder to clean, AND creates an obstacle you have to walk around. I realized she's right-- all those cool Pottery Barn and West Elm (or custom!) banquettes work a lot better along an outside wall rather than integrated into the heart of an open kitchen/dining space.

We're still designing, so I'd love to hear more comments about what you love and what you regret about your island seating.

• KW PNW Z8
    5 months ago

Thanks willandanne, for posting your thoughts about the input you‘ve received! It makes these threads more fun to read & the posts more fun to respond to when OP feedback given!