Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariam2768

Design advice , kitchen, living room and dining room

Mariam Al younis
4 months ago

What would you change?
Note I have two preschoolers and a toddler anything that could be easily broken can't be part of decoration.Thank you!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

First I think teaching kids to not touch things is a good learning curve to teach respect for others property . But enough lessons . Take the table cloth off the table and get a pretty centerpiece and you need a nice chandelier above that table.Some art you love on the walls and the pillows on the sifa can be colors from the art .Is thta an actual wood stove ? If it is that to me nneds to be set on tile and wall behind it fireproof. You need some color in the kitchen for sure and maybe some real plants. It looks nice and clean now it just needs some personality

• Maureen
    4 months ago

In general, add color and interest on walls with art, including foyer. Consider a color scheme/a look to make choosing and complementing easier.

Dining room: if possible, add a colorful washable rug under table (looks like your only eating area so your rug will take a beating) and a chandelier will create a nice ambiance.

https://designertrapped.com/using-area-rugs-on-carpet/?epik=dj0yJnU9TmN0d3E2bW0waUZEZjA5a29ZYTY4STMyaHhvZ29VRlUmcD0wJm49bk01UnY0LXlnTGN6RjkwakRVa1FRQSZ0PUFBQUFBR1dBVXVj

Living room: cushions/throw for sure, but a larger square coffee table would be more accessible and suggest one that is better suited to the console.

Kitchen: the counter has enough space for accessorizing.

• millworkman
    4 months ago

" What would you change? "

What do you want to change? What don't you like?

• blfenton
    4 months ago

The only thing I would probably change is the coffee table. Get something a little bigger and oval in shape. You have a lot of linear lines in your space and an oval coffee table would help to soften those strong lines.

Then I would add colour through artwork on the walls and maybe comfortable cushions with some colour on the sofas.

I don't see any lighting anywhere so I will assume that you have potlights everywhere. Duirng the day see if there is any light lacking in the corners and see if any is needed. Certainly add a light in the dining room and maybe pendants over the peninsula. Do you need some sort of buffet in the dining room?

Do the kids have a separate playroom or is there a need for a toy storage bin for them in this area.

It looks like a nice home.

• HU-227031627
    4 months ago

Two preschoolers and a toddler. I wouldn't have sharp corners on a coffee table (or would put removable bumpers there), and I would be worried about the metal stove.

Design-wise, you have a case of too much white/beige. Beyond that your rugs, table cloth, and chairs/couches are just screaming for a cup of red grape juice being spilled on them, and I am not a fan of the cabinets over the kitchen window.

I'd swap out the rugs for something with color and a pattern (pattern can help hid spills). Ditto for the curtains/blinds. I'd remove the white arch over the sink and move the cabinets down to be on the same level as the other cabinets.

• housegal200
    4 months ago

Round soft coffee table is great for toddlers. Get a storage one in an accent color:

Bucktown Turquoise Universal 36" Round Ottoman · More Info

Or two like this:

Bicast Leather Single Tray Storage Ottoman · More Info

Love to see an uncluttered kitchen like yours. For touches of warmth without clutter: a small antique lamp in the corner.

Ursulines Apartment · More Info

Keep a large round handmadewood tray or antique one with hand thrown mugs or

Expansive Traditional in Scarsdale · More Info

antique glasses or dishes of cheese and crackers to invite visitors or kiddies to keep you company in the kitchen. Any candles should be battery powered.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 months ago

Consider framing some of the children's paintings or other school projects. They are probably very colorful!

• Laraine Woodruff
    4 months ago

Everything already suggested is perfect. My humble opinion of one more thing is a change to the living room area rug. The furniture and the rug are pretty much the same color and it seems like a washed out beige room that could use a nice contrasting rug.

• elcieg
    4 months ago

Put the one piece sofa on the half wall. Now reposition the rest of the seating.

Bring in more of the maple tones of the cabinets and console.

New coffee table, wider to fit the sofa. There are lots of smaller side table which could serve the other chairs.

Make the t v/console wall more interesting with a wallpaper.

Dining room needs a big of storage for napkins, etc. There isn't much room, so wall hang a piece with art over. Add a chandelier.

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors: The Hamptons
    2 months ago

We might recommend getting a round coffee table, placing some artwork on the blank wall above the dining room table, adding some plants (if possible), and adding a chandelier over the dining room table (if there isn't one). Otherwise it just looks like you need some more texture with more pillows and blankets on the furniture. The images included here show a variety of living room and dining room designs. Note the coffee tables, pillows, blankets, artwork, and chandeliers used.

Oceanfront Oasis · More Info

Oceanfront Oasis · More Info

West Side Whereabouts · More Info

West Side Whereabouts · More Info

Southampton Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• cat_ky
    2 months ago

I would replace the rugs, in both dining and living room, with something with color. Add color in pillows on the couch (take your colors from the rug, or artwork). Add artwork on the wall. Add some color in your kitchen. The coffee table looks very dangerous for little kids, that needs to go. Either replace with an oval coffee table, or a big colorful ottoman. I also would worry about that stove around little kids, if it is wood burning. Your house, is very neat and clean, its just very bland, and very boring. Color is very much needed.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 months ago

Color! Please!

Paint would be good - Artwork would be super helpful. splashes of color in pillows, etc.