Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feathers11

Share your holiday centerpieces

Feathers11
4 months ago

My holiday decorating was delayed this season. I hosted a dinner last week (and have 2 more next week), and scrambled to put together my DR centerpiece. It's all natural save for the candles. Anything more elaborate tends not to "go" with the table itself. And given my time constraints, I'm pleased with it.

Please share your centerpieces--I'd love to see them.

Comments (31)

• nini804
    4 months ago

That’s really beautiful! Great job!

Feathers11 thanked nini804
  • Funkyart
    4 months ago

Love that, Feathers -- so beautiful and I am sure is smells divine! Merry Christmas!

Feathers11 thanked Funkyart
  • porkandham
    4 months ago

Very pretty! I really like it!

My table is currently covered in platters, bowls, all the coffee/hot chocolate bar stuff, stacks of Christmas china, and piles of silverware! I need to get in there and set the table!

Feathers11 thanked porkandham
  • dedtired
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Thats so pretty and I love the natural look. My dining room tabla is covered eith paperwork from my mother’s estate, so not exactly festive! My kitchen table is covered with grocery bags waiting to be unpacked. I’m so not into Christmas this year.

Feathers11 thanked dedtired
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    4 months ago

I'm with dedtired. We didn't get any decorations out - no tree. I do have a white poinsettia in a bowl on the dining room table. That's a beautiful centerpiece, Feathers!!

Feathers11 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • salonva
    4 months ago

That looks so nice. I don't do Christmas, and don't really do centerpieces either but that looks so warm and unfussy. So here's my silly question- what about when there's food-do you do buffet style? You can tell my level of casual entertaining.

(also, I notice your chandelier. I have almost pulled the buy trigger on that one for months....it looks so nice!)

Feathers11 thanked salonva
  • rubyclaire
    4 months ago

Beautiful! Mine is much more pedestrian and not share-worthy :(.

Feathers11 thanked rubyclaire
  • nekotish
    4 months ago

I love that. We are not having our big family dinner til the 27th so mine is not done yet. I will use this crystal candle holder and the two red candles. I have a dark gren tablecloth and I wil put a wreath of magnolia leaves around the crystal candle. Our family uses up a lot of the table space, so nothing too elaborate.

Feathers11 thanked nekotish
  • teeda
    4 months ago

That is so lovely Feathers! And love the crystal candle holder Nekotish.

Feathers11 thanked teeda
  • maddielee
    4 months ago

Love the natural greenery. No big parties here this weekend, small (10) brunch on Monday.

Mine stays the same year after year after year - probably too long. oh well.

These are changed out when, and if, we entertain people who aren’t related by blood. Non blood guests sometimes see candles and flowers, not this year.

Breakfast table

Dining room table

Feathers11 thanked maddielee
  • Judi
    4 months ago

This one, or maybe the bigger one, is currently on the dining room table. She used to go out on the porch table. I have 3 of different sizes. The other two are in the kitchen on the hutch and on the counter.

Feathers11 thanked Judi
  • Jilly
    4 months ago

Love all of these! So charming.

Mine is a runner I’m not thrilled with and will be replacing, two old wooden candle holders I’ve had forever (and have on the table all year with my Swedish runner), two vintage Lenox candlestick holders that belonged to my DH’s late wife’s mother, deer that one of my besties got me, and ornaments in a vintage punch bowl I got as a newlywed with my late husband. And I put snowflakes I made on the wooden candle holders.

This is actually our bay window breakfast room, we use the formal dining room as a den. Our huge vintage Chippendale china cabinet is in the den (was my DH’s grandfather’s), this room has my beloved custom-made rustic hutch from Mexico.

Not visible, but I have fringed valances on each window.

My dad had the table made by an Amish furniture maker in the early ’90s — he gave to me 20+ yrs ago. I have the original heavy wooden chairs — two on the ends and others in storage; I added mid-century style chairs on the sides a few years ago.

Feathers11 thanked Jilly
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    4 months ago

Jilly - that's so pretty and sentimental. I'm kind of kicking myself for not nudging DH to bring our Christmas decorations up from the basement, even though neither one of us wanted to mess around with a tree. There are so many memories stored away, and how many Christmases left? We will be using these plates for our meals from now through New Years

• Jilly
    4 months ago

Thank you, seagrass! I’ve never been very good with centerpieces, but this has worked well with my decor and for function.

I’m very much into sentimental decor; I sometimes wish I wasn’t. I have a hard time ’letting go’.

Beautiful plates! Love that color and pattern.

Feathers11 thanked Jilly
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 months ago

Really lovely, feathers. Nicely done!

This year same as 2 yrs ago...not that it matters now...

and last year I wanted to use bittersweet colors...

and 2020...

And 2018...

Feathers11 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    4 months ago

Judi - I thought you were referring to the cat but I couldn't see the other two!!

• Judi
    4 months ago

Seagrass, I didn't post all of them. Best buy I ever got at a yard sale. The 3 were $5 total.

Feathers11 thanked Judi
  • Feathers11
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Porkandham, my table was as cluttered earlier this week. I admire those who can set a table well ahead of time and have everything in order. I'm just not one of those people! I need deadline pressure.

Dedtired, hoping you get a reprieve soon and can relax a bit. Settling an estate is stressful.

Seagrass, I love your plates! And I think you should haul up some of those memories from the basement. There's still plenty of time to enjoy them.

Nekotish, beautiful candleholder, and I wish I had access to magnolia leaves. I'd love to see how you use them.

Maddielee, thanks for sharing those--love the containers and the ornaments. Great idea!

Judi, those are pretty (and I, too, initially thought you were referring to your sweet cat!)

Jilly, every piece is so meaningful. Thanks for including the background of them. And that table is really beautiful.

Annie, I love the different colors. The purple is stunning, and I hope you still get to enjoy it once you're feeling better.

Salonva, there's nothing too formal going on around here, for sure. The dinner earlier was with a few friends--soup, salad, a finger foods. Not too much food on the table itself, since I served the salad and soup individually. My next dinner will be for family and I'll be plating the food then, too. The 3rd get-together... I haven't finalized the menu. If I need table space, I'll remove the current centerpiece, and replace with something simpler. But I like the size of what is there now to see on a daily basis.

And I love the chandelier. I wanted something simple, and I actually got the idea from Wyse Guide's dining room. I cannot find a still shot of it, but he shares a peek once in a while on his IG feed.

• Sueb20
    4 months ago

One of my besties gave me this arrangement that she made. Love it.

Feathers11 thanked Sueb20
  • jill302
    4 months ago

Love seeing all the centerpieces. I usually spend some time planning mine out, but this year I threw it together in about 5 minutes and I am happy with it.

Feathers11 thanked jill302
  • arcy_gw
    4 months ago

Our advent wreath and my little candle twirler keep our table adorned through out advent. Come Christmas we have too much on the table to bother with a center piece.

Feathers11 thanked arcy_gw
  • 3katz4me
    4 months ago

@Feathers11 - that’s really beautiful! I would love something like that but I’m sure my cats would too.

Feathers11 thanked 3katz4me
  • porkandham
    4 months ago

My table is set for breakfast. I’ve used these trees for the past few years. I sometimes add snow a day or two before Christmas and nestle mercury glass votives amongst the trees, but since DH did all the decorating this year, I’m keeping it simple. Also, the only holiday meal we’re eating here is Christmas morning breakfast.

Feathers11 thanked porkandham
  • Kswl
    4 months ago

Love all these centerpieces!

This is our informal table in the open living area, a potted rosemary topiary with waxed amaryllis on either side before they bloomed

Dining room centerpiece of a moss bed with waxed amaryllis, small red ornaments and a wire of (battery operated) fairy lights

Ater the amaryllis bloomed, with flanking glass candlesticks

I was disappointed that the color of the amaryllis is more orange than true red. I see that someone put their cracker in the the arrangement, probably to get it out of the way!

Feathers11 thanked Kswl
  • lisaam
    4 months ago

All the tables are lovely. kswl, the dining table amaryllis may not have suited your color plan but sometimes a break from christmas red is a happy pleasure.

i sent my MIL lemon cream amaryllis this year- creamy yellow, red picotee edge, green throat. she’s in sarasota and that works with her decorating scheme.

Feathers11 thanked lisaam
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 months ago

I agree - all very pretty.

I don't have a dining table per se, except a table in the library that I can use if necessary. But I do have a tea cart that gets "center-pieced up" every year with decor, gifts of candy and cookies from friends and neighbors, and Christmas cards received. Or is it just Christmas clutter? ha

Feathers11 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Kswl
    4 months ago

I’ve seen that yellow color and it is absolutely beautiful, Lisa. It would be perfect in our sitting room! I also like the white, coral and red and white striped varieties. I wish mine had bloomed more coral than orange but they are festive regardless.

Feathers11 thanked Kswl
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 months ago

I love seeing everyone centerpieces, so beautiful!

Feathers11 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • LynnNM
    4 months ago

I have a few that I vary depeding on who we’re having at the particular meal. At most meals I have this arrangement. My sister, Ilene, painted the three Santas as gifts to us many years ago.

Another favorite centerpiece are my 3 glass bowls with (battery operated) candles and my bird statues in them. DH and I love birds so no one is surprised to see the table decorated with them.

I can’t find the photo now, but one year when we had four small children here for Christmas dinner, Instead of the bird statues in the glass bowls, I put small colorful, old fashioned Christmas toys in them. Those were a big hit with everyone!

Feathers11 thanked LynnNM
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 months ago

The paper cranes were made for us by a neighbor's daughter. DH taught her how to make them years ago, so now she made a lot of them for us. She is in college and our granddaughter was entranced by them. I will try to post another picture, but not having much luck with that..

Feathers11 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)