Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericvandee

Paint Color Selection

Eric VanderToorn
4 months ago

I am looking for recommendations for paint colors. I am building a new house and drywall is about to start and would like to narrow down some paint colors to put on the wall after they are done.

A little info on the space. The main living space is north, west facing with not a lot of natural light coming through I’d say moderate to low. There is a covered porch on the west as well that might limit the amount of light. There will be red oak floors installed with a med brown stain so a dash of red with be peeking through the floor.

The house is supposed to look and feel like a farmhouse.

Above is an inspiration photo. I would like the trim to be darker than the wall paint, but I do not want the trim to be a lot darker than the wall paint just enough to notice a contrast and look intentional. If I’m understanding correctly, I should be using warm white being that this is a low light area.

Colors I like for wall paints I’m looking at are BM Ballet White, BM Linen White, BM Swiss Coffee, BM Soft Chamois, BM Acadia White, SW Shoji White. For the trim BM Revere Pewter, BM Edgecomb Gray, Classic Gray, BM Collingwood. These are just colors that catch my eye as I look through the fan deck I am open to any suggestions of coarse!

I can post pictures of the floor plan if it helps or pictures of the actual space. And Merry Christmas!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 months ago

I will start by saying not every space looks good with white walls. I like the trim to be a very neutral white that can stay no matter what wall color you choose down the road since trim is a real PITA to change . I use this color cut 25-50% very often when clients have a builder who wants to paint before the floors go in. It is IMO a true neutral( think nature) and nice white of your choice for the trim. This color looks awesome with really every wood color. Wall cor has little to do the brightness of a space , lighting in different levels some with dimmers is how you get good light in a space . I love LED 4000K everywhere but 3500K is fine but any lower K will have ayellow cast to it Use a mix of pot lights table lamps floor lamps and in a kitchen I use under cabinet, pot lights and pendants all on seperate switches but I never use dimmers in kitchens and that is the one space where 4000K is best BTW this colr is BM not SW

• Kendrah
    4 months ago

Those trims sound too grey to me, especially in a space with north and shaded light. I’d use two warm whites, one darker and one lighter as the wall / trim combo.

My favorite warm white is Farrow and Ball Dimity. I’m a fan of BM Maritime White, though have not used it in darker spaces. BM Linen White is very warm without reading yellow. I adore it.

Here’s an example of two whites for wall and trim.

• kandrewspa
    4 months ago

I have Soft Chamois and Edgecomb Gray in my house, although not as a wall-trim combo. I have Edgecomb Gray in a room with two north facing windows and one west. I don't find the color to be too gray in that light, but this is personal preference. I have Soft Chamois in bedrooms with only northern exposures. Linen White would be warmer, but I like SC. I think you have identified a lot of good possibilities. In order to choose you will need to do some sampling to identify your own preference.

While the idea of darker trim on light walls is interesting, think about whether you want to undertake repainting all of your trim when you want a different combination. The reason most people have white trim is so it can stay the same while the walls change. Even if you're interested in being trend-free, it wouldn't be unusual to just want a change after a while. I think people tend to change their wall color about twice as often as trim. Trim is very time consuming to paint. It's either your time, or if you pay someone to do it, it's expensive to have the work done.

• Lyn Nielson
    4 months ago

I like SW Alabaster. walls eggshell, satin trim. just enough contrast.

Sample in 24 hour light. colors look different in every setting. Those magazine shoots use alot of light and photoshop to get the most beautiful outcome, you'll never duplicate... JUST DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

• cat_ky
    4 months ago

I dont like the beigie looking whites on the trim. I would suggest the same as Lyn Nielson above just posted. SW Alabaster on it all, walls, eggshell, and trim, either satin or semi gloss (your choice), if doing ceiling, I would do that in a flat.

• bluemarble
    4 months ago

I'm sure all the colors you've mentioned and the suggestions you've received above are worth considering. For me, BM Classic Gray is amazingly versatile, neutral and warm without looking yellow. It's lovely in our east-facing bedroom, and goes well with many wood tones and metal finishes. Enjoy your new home!

• chloe00s
    4 months ago

Our Benjamin Moore paint store has someone who will come to your house, walk through, and help choose complementary paint colors for rooms based on the light. I have asked for her advice several times, and she had great advice.

• elcieg
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Guessing: trim may be S W Colonnade Gray and the walls could be S W Pure White (no yellow undertones). I like your direction and perfect for an antique home.

Nest time I paint the interior, my trim will be darker than the walls. I have Revere Pewter on the walls now, and Super White on the trim and ceilings ( in appropriate finishes). Wish I had switched trim and wall colors.

My natural light is north/south. Revere Pewter works. Not sure how it will fare with West light. Maybe too green?

• Eric VanderToorn
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you for all the input I appreciate it very much! This was very helpful. I like Kendra’s idea of using two off whites instead of a distinct gray. I will probably go this route but will also consider doing all one color. I will just have to wait until I can paint the walls and get a feel for the colors.

• PRO
    steveetheridge
    4 months ago

The colors of your inspiration photo look quite nice and calming - especially for a bedroom. If you like those take the the photo on your phone to a paint store and try to match (as best you can) with color chips. You can also as the service person at the paint desk to help you. You can get sample sizes and paint them onto scrap plywood to see how they appear to you in real life. Also, don't forget that the type of lighting you will end up using will have a big effect. Good luck!