Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (17)

• eld6161
    Original Author
    4 months ago

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    4 months ago

I saw a news segment yesterday where a lot of people are getting married today just to lock-in their anniversary on 123123.........why, I dunno?

eld6161 thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

eld6161 thanked Fun2BHere
  • dadoes
    4 months ago

I never write dates as mm/dd/yy after the year incremented to 2000.

eld6161 thanked dadoes
  • colleenoz
    4 months ago

@dadoes Why? What difference did the change of century make for you?

In any case, in Australia it’s dd/mm/yy.

eld6161 thanked colleenoz
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 months ago

I read it earlier then hadn't even thought about it today. Our family in Croatia uses the day/month/year formulation and can throw me sometimes.

My cousin was part of a large group who planned weddings for 7-7-07. Second marriage and a quite good one so far 😍

eld6161 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • floraluk2
    4 months ago

Same as Australia and the rest of Europe here. When I read dates written the US way I always have to think about it a moment and transpose the day and month in my head.

eld6161 thanked floraluk2
  • vee_new
    4 months ago

Is the US the only country that uses mm/dd/year? Any eg's please.

eld6161 thanked vee_new
  • User
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

According to wiki

excerpt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

-

also

-——

“The United States is one of the few countries that use “mm-dd-yyyy” as their date format–which is very very unique! The day is written first and the year last in most countries (dd-mm-yyyy) and some nations, such as Iran, Korea, and China, write the year first and the day last (yyyy-mm-dd). But why did Americans choose to write the month first? One of the hypotheses is that the United States borrowed the way it was written from the United Kingdom who used it before the 20th century and then later changed it to match Europe (dd-mm-yyyy). American colonists liked their original format and it’s been that way ever since.
    The United States has a rather unique way of writing the date that is imitated in very few other countries (although Canada and Belize do also use the form). In America, the date is formally written in month/day/year form. Thus, “January 1, 2011” is widely considered to be correct. In formal usage, it is not appropriate to omit the year, or to use a purely numerical form of the date. For example, if you were to write a formal letter for business, you would write out the entire date, including the name of the month (January 1, 2011). Writing it out in full allows for the notation to be understood even by people for whom the month/day/year form is relatively uncommon.”

https://iso.mit.edu/americanisms/date-format-in-the-united-states/

eld6161 thanked User
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 months ago

In my government employment (DoD), we always wrote dd-mo-yr. I’m still in the habit of doing so unless a form calls for doing it differently.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • blfenton
    4 months ago

I just use whatever I'm told to on whatever form I'm filling out. Otherwise I write it out = eg Today is Jan 2, 2024.

eld6161 thanked blfenton
  • Lars
    4 months ago

I always write the abbreviation for the month (or spell it out completely, if I have room) whenever I sign and date something. This is my own personal preference and I consider it part of my signature. If I see the date written otherwise, I know I didn't write it.

Otherwise, my preference for numbers only would be yyyy/mm/dd, and when a computer sorts numbers like this, they come out in the correct order.

eld6161 thanked Lars
  • User
    4 months ago

I’m the same blfenton!

eld6161 thanked User
  • JoanM
    3 months ago

That is a great idea Lars. I plan to steal that one. When the date is written out it is also easier to see among many other numbers.

I prefer yyyy/mm/dd as it sorts correctly.

eld6161 thanked JoanM
  • colleenoz
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I always write the abbreviation of the month as well, to save possible confusion, unless it’s an online form that will only accept dd/mm/yy or whatever.

We get a lot of Americans on the Australia TripAdvisor forum who will say they’re coming on certain dates, writing them in mm/dd form, and it’s very confusing and we always have to ask them to write it out if the day is the 12th or earlier to be sure exactly when they mean

• vee_new
    3 months ago

Here in England we have to remember to fill in American forms the 'US way'. Our solicitors once filled in some US paper-work 'our' way and it was returned as incorrect. We have recently had US bank information forms returned as they didn't recognise UK and demanded that we correct it to United Kingdom!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths