Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanks

Basement design help needed.

hanks
3 months ago

in the process of finishing my basement. The room includes a kitchenette/bar area, a TV/sitting room gaming area, some empty space in between, and on the other side, and includes a guest bedroom and a full bath. Right now I am struggling with pulling together, the kitchenette and the sitting area. Inc., some shiplap, some white and gray cabinetry. Some white cabinetry in the sitting area where the tv is. My three questions:

1. What kind of counter/backsplash do I choose for my bar kitchenette? it's very bright and clean looking with the white and gray cabinets and the glass fronts but I'm wondering if there's a way to warm it up a bit and make it just slightly more basement like. Do I even want to be basement-like?

2. The sitting area is very long, narrow. I'm wondering how to bring it together to make it feel cozy, and to give each section a purpose. The sitting area also has one little nook at the end of it and now I'm second-guessing why I even kept that space? There is also another section in the back that we envisioned the boys using for video games.

3! Under the direction of my contractor, I ordered cabinets to go along the wall where the TV is. But I didn't realize how much the cabinets would look like a kitchen. I guess I didn't think of it when I was ordering them, but they have drawers and I think that's what makes them appear to be kitchen like. Our plan is to utilize the cabinets that we have now for storage which we can definitely use. I am now trying to determine what type of counter to put on the cabinets and then also what to do with the wall behind the TV. there are two funky details: one is the small window in the center and the other is the bump out soffit in the right corner!

Any creative thinking ???

Comments (35)

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

more images to help see the space.

• jcanel
    3 months ago

Hi, what flooring did you use?

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

coretek grande petronas. i love it!

• la_la Girl
    3 months ago

Great space! i’d be tempted to do a fun wallpaper in the kitchen area instead of a tile backsplash

• ptreckel
    3 months ago

Consider a wooden counter, pulling a color from your flooring, in the living area to warm up the space.

• Cindy W
    3 months ago

Maybe use a brick back splash in a color that picks up the grey in the bottom cabinets. I think a wallpaper behind the long tv area would look nice also.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

Post a floor plan please. With your cabinets already installed, there may not be many options.

• Sammie J
    3 months ago

Can you turn the sofa? I dislike where you have the tv, and think there are better options. Where does the door by the small nook lead? Depending on space, I might fill that in and hang the tv on that wall...

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

The door by the small nook is a sump pump!! that was a surprise as it wasn't in our original plans.

The couch is just the one we had -- placehold for what you fine people will tell me what to do! :)

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I debated filling in that nook and putting the tv on that wall but decided against it bc it seemed off to me with the sump pump closet and the lower soffit on one side.

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

this is the floor plan. but it changed a bit!

the first red mark on left is the kitchen and not storage!

the second red mark we left open. it is currently where our boys game.

• Paul F.
    3 months ago

Is it all kid oriented or do you want a bar bar area.

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

well the kitchenette/bar area will
    have a tv and that's more the adult area.

the other section is more for kids -- tv
    and video gaming.

i mocked this up. maybe we
    put tv in center (have to change outlets for it) and the. do shelves on either side? believe it or not, this was my own rendering not some fancy 3D design technology. ;)

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

There are a lot of fun, removable wallpapers that would liven up this space. If it’s a family room, get the kids involved. Spoonflower.com can keep you busy for days but they specialize in whimsical patterns that are perfect for a fun space like this.

If you go that route, keep the kitchen area “quiet” with a simple backsplash in an interesting shape.

Here are cross tiles

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Herringbone installation

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Vertical installation - one is a subway tile the other is a picket shape.

• Jennz9b
    3 months ago

Great space! the TV is in a weird spot- why is it so high above eye level? i would move that as others have mentioned.

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

it ended up being so high above eyelevel bc ofnthe height of the cabinets. now we are stucks with the cabinets. or at least some of them. the other reason is that the living space isn't quite aligned with this wall due to the cubby space across from our it. so it does make sense to put the tv to the left of the wall.

how can i modify and make this look more like an entertainment built in vs a buffet.

• kazzh
    3 months ago

Much better, the niches look ripe for some wicker or rattan baskets for some texture in the space. You could intersperse some smaller baskets in the shelving area. The removable wallpaper idea is a good idea as you can change the paper as the space develops over the years. Much easier than retiling! Gamer funky styles might not last as long as the gaming does.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

It’s already looking 100% better. Keep posting updates.

• Kim Lima
    3 months ago

I felt the same way- we added shelving and painted the back of the tv wall section a different color. Definitely helped to not make it look like
    a kitchen.

• Kim Lima
    3 months ago

Before

• hollywaterfall
    3 months ago

Originally I would have tried to put the tv in the center and make everything symmetrical, but I LOVE the way things turned out with the tv on the left and the cabinetry to the right. Definitely get the kids involved they usually have innovative and creative ideas we adults don't often think of.

• J F
    3 months ago

Maybe live edge countertops to bring a more basement rustic feel?

• jeannie_sang
    3 months ago

It’s lovely and you have great instincts. More permanent furniture and new couch/layout will fill the spaces correctly. I think you need to fill the space above the bar/kitchen cabinets with filler/trim. It’s sucking up your light. Options are endless for counter/backsplash combos. I like the wallpaper idea for a splash of interest.

• taniajk
    3 months ago

Much better! Contractors build things, are not designers. Good you figured out a solution!

• Paul F.
    3 months ago

Have the wood continue over the window otherwise it looks unfinished.

• Jasmyn Madison
    3 months ago

I wouldn’t box in the window. That will interfere with the natural light. I would get rid of the shelves beneath the window all together.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

I would just do 2 long floating shelves and not the whole framed thing.

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

doors are going on bottom cabinets. center will be open shelf.

• hanks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is current.

• typeandrun
    3 months ago

Plants on the shelf in front of the window woud look so good!

• Paul F.
    3 months ago

Yep... and in the winter, sticks.

• typeandrun
    3 months ago

lol plants needing low light will do very well