Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_stirrett

What style and size bed for guest bedroom

Marilyn Stirrett
3 months ago

I am planning to replace the full size antique iron bed frame in my guest bedroom. I have space for either a queen size or king size frame--thinking of no footboard for ease in making the bed. The room is girlish with off white painted wicker pieces--desk, chairs, tables, floor mirror, etc. What size bedframe should I use--queen or king and what style headbook would look best? TIA

Comments (26)

• HU-787167202
    3 months ago

You will get a lot of votes for King--but that's over kill IMPO. Queen is plenty.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked HU-787167202
  • latifolia
    3 months ago

How long do you want people to stay?

Marilyn Stirrett thanked latifolia
  • palimpsest
    3 months ago

Queen should suffice. Just a headboard, no footboard.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 months ago

If its a large room a king can look more proportional. I always like an upholstered headboard but without photos hard to make better suggestions

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

Depends on the size of the room. Queen should suffice. You just want to make sure the room doesn't look empty with a queen, nor crowded with a king. Upholstered headboards ick me out on guest beds. I only want my head on an upholstered headboard.

• Marilyn Stirrett
    Original Author
    3 months ago

What are you saying, "upholstered headboards ick me out on guest beds". I take that to mean you don't like them--perhaps inability to clean thoroughly. Yet you say, "I want my head on an upholstered headboard."

• acm
    3 months ago

only her head, not anybody else's. agree it's hard to parse.

I think a light wood headboard would probably work with the white rattan, or something upholstered is fine in the average person's hardly used guest quarters.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked acm
  • acm
    3 months ago

Homestyles Bermuda Wood Queen Headboard in Off White · More Info

Chatsworth Headboard, Mint, Queen · More Info

Baxton Studio Salome Mid-Century Wood Slat Queen Headboard in Walnut Brown · More Info

Lily Queen Upholstered Fabric Headboard, Ivory · More Info

GDF Studio Hunter Tufted Fabric Queen/ Full Headboard, Gray · More Info

Safavieh Lamar Slate Blue Tufted Headboard, Queen · More Info

Handcrafted Headboard, Hanger Style, Celeste, Queen · More Info

Actually, I really like the two tinted wood headboards I posted -- would mesh with the girliness while changing it up a bit and giving more opportunities to do something with the rest of the decor.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

I need to see the space I do not like guest rooms that are very girly but not master bedrooms either . I think wicker is a light looking material so you need aheadboard that is not too heavy looking. BTW I never like a foot end on any bed I am tall so is my hubby . One of our guests is 6'6" do no foot end. Please post a pic of the space , some maesurements and all the pices you want to us e post here in a comment DO NOT start another post . I tend to not have a ton of stuff in aguest room it always looks like it was the dumping ground for leftovers. I think a queen is really ample and more important is the best mattress you can afford and the nicest bedding.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Marilyn Stirrett
    Original Author
    3 months ago

to Chloebud - Room size is approximately 15' x 15'.

• Angela Young
    3 months ago

My guest head board is upholstered but not fabric so it's easy to wipe down, but I think it's a mute issue, considering the amount of time a guest would have their head there.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked Angela Young
  • emily9972
    3 months ago

My 90 yo mother is trying to convince me to replace my queen guest bed with 2 twins. She makes some good points. My husband and I have often had to sleep in twin beds when visiting relatives. We can still snuggle in one of them. Twins work better for 2 friends who are visiting, or a parent and child. Plus, if only one guest stays, stripping/washing/remaking a twin is much easier. I suppose too that the 2 twins could always be pushed together if desired. But if not twins, then a queen is the goldilocks size for me.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked emily9972
  • Candace
    3 months ago

If you’ve got the room, I vote for a King - you won’t get any complaints - and, if someone needs to go sleep somewhere else (for example if the person you share a bed with SNORES) then you (or them) have a nicer bed (speaking from experience!!)

Marilyn Stirrett thanked Candace
  • elcieg
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I vote for twin beds, especially if not all guests will be a couple. Love these headboards from BedBathandBeyond. Attached to the wall: all you need is bed frames.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Home-Garden/Nathan-James-Harlow-Wall-Mount-Headboard-Upholstered-Headboard-PU-Leather-Straps-Matte-Black-Metal-Rail/35448177/product.html?option=67991520

Marilyn Stirrett thanked elcieg
  • ffpalms
    3 months ago

I agree with elcieg. Twin beds are more versatile for a guest room.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked ffpalms
  • acm
    3 months ago

but... if you attach the headboards to the wall, then I guess you're never planning to push them together when you DO have couples?!?

Marilyn Stirrett thanked acm
  • Marilyn Stirrett
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I do have two twin beds in another bedroom if needed.

• debrak6
    3 months ago

In threads like this I see comments that queen size is fine, ample, sufficient. I honestly don't know a single couple (friends or family) who have queen-sized beds, and all the men in my large extended family are well over 6'. If your family and guests are all short and skinny, or don't mind being elbowed when one turns over, I guess a queen would "do" but why? I just don't think it's the norm these days so if there's room I'd do a king or California king.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked debrak6
  • emily9972
    3 months ago

My husband and i have had only queen size for decades. for us its the Goldilocks size, not too big or too small. As a guest, i think i would rather have chairs, luggage racks, desk, etc in the room rather than a larger bed.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked emily9972
  • Maureen
    3 months ago

You may have room for either, but with the furniture you referenced, would the queen size make more sense from a functionality/space perspective. Consider as well that a king is more expensive as well as the bedding.

Regarding a headboard, did you want to incorporate wicker and could head towards less girlish (bedding also has an influence). It’s hard to recommend without seeing your furniture and knowing how you want room to feel.

https://www.wayfair.ca/furniture/sb1/wicker-rattan-headboards-c414870-a3556~8986.html?rtype=9&redir=Wicker+headboard

Marilyn Stirrett thanked Maureen
  • Marilyn Stirrett
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I have space for a king but my concern is that a large bed in a room with pieces of white woven small scale wicker pieces may overwhelm the room--still studying/evaluating.

• Maureen
    3 months ago

Choosing the right headboard that isn’t too bulky/blends in with your wicker, will have a bigger influence in room than a 16” width difference.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillsdale-Furniture-Serena-White-King-Headboard-2753-670/320038386

Marilyn Stirrett thanked Maureen
  • palimpsest
    3 months ago

A king sized bed is two extra long twin beds side by side dimension wise (the box springs are essentially a pair of XL twins, often) So you could do a pair of twin beds and if you wanted to make a king they make a 'bridge' type piece of foam and then you could put on king sheets, or you could move them apart a bit and use them as twins.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked palimpsest
  • bjstem
    3 months ago

Ignore the ghastly write-up. But how about something like this? It seems to be Queen size, and although it's not the white rattan like the rest of your room, the tropical/bamboo vibe is still there. https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/bedroom-furniture/beds-frames/mid-20th-century-bamboo-rattan-bed-headboard-chinese-chippendale-style/id-f_35164612/

Marilyn Stirrett thanked bjstem
  • violetsnapdragon
    3 months ago

I'd base it on space in the room and whether you frequently have guests who need to have a king-sized bed--restless sleepers, very tall people. If not, queen would probaby suffice for people spending a night or two.

Marilyn Stirrett thanked violetsnapdragon