Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Style in your 70’s

eld6161
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.youtube.com/c/styleinyour70swithleslieb&sa=U&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiA-ZjOr9WDAxVik4kEHWOQD10QFnoECBcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1CRkPePa2Sz9XMPKIffUpM

I’m enjoying the classic style of Candance Leslie Cima and thought I would share.

Who also is reminded of KSWL☺️?

Comments (118)

• eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I am not one for cross body. I have one but use a shoulder bag. It doesn't sit tight when I try to convert it.

I see that I would have to get one like Sue posted, but it seems too small to hold everything.

• hhireno
    3 months ago

I am almost at the point of searching for a new purse. I want to go a bit smaller but it must be able to hold my sunglass case, and that’s where I have trouble. It needs to be lightweight, cross body, not too big, not too small, a neutral wear-with-everything color, no visible name brands or logos, reasonable priced, and probably other criteria I’m forgetting.

Crazy sidebar: I still carry a small baggie in my purse from when my niece and nephew were losing teeth and worried how would we save their tooth for the Tooth-fairy if it fell out when we were out and about. They are 14 & 16 now. It brings me joy to see it when I open that side pocket.

Sidebar to the sidebar: during a recent hospitalization, the hospital lost my Mum’s partial denture. It should have been safely in my purse baggie. 🤦🏼‍♀️

eld6161 thanked hhireno
  • Sueb20
    3 months ago

Hh, please tell us the baggie doesn’t contain old baby teeth.

ks, it seemed like most people had checked their coats, probably to make it easier for me to grade their outfits. Lots of people were taking pics of the art (which I don’t quite understand) so I just pretended that’s what I was doing. I was sooo tempted to take pics of the Glamour Donts but quickly realized that was evil.

eld6161 thanked Sueb20
  • Tina Marie
    3 months ago

Your dos and don'ts list pretty much is what I noted earlier. Other than the cross body bags. I do not care for them for myself. But, I do not carry a "tote" bag. I agree with Mtn - I think that style of purse is fine as long as it is in proportion to the body type of the person. I am short (5'2) so many are not a good look for me. I do have some smaller bags that I guess could be considered a "tote" bag style. ETA: Maybe I should clarify I'm a ways from 70 though. But I hope to still care about style!!

eld6161 thanked Tina Marie
  • deegw
    3 months ago

Does this happen to anyone else?

I'm scrolling down a long thread, reading everything. Then about 2/3 of the way through, some of the earlier comments repeat and then the thread ends.

The first couple of times it happened I thought it was something I did but I don't think so.

• deegw
    3 months ago

I can do the clothes, bag, and hair thing pretty well, my big problem is trying to find stylish shoes that don't kill my feet. The only thing I can wear all day in relative comfort are bulky trainers. I've tried so many different kinds of cute shoes and boots and casual sneakers. Every time a shoe box arrives at the front door DH says, "Oh, did you order another pair of shoes to sell on Poshmark?".

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • Kswl
    3 months ago

You're a good egg, SueB, but now I need that Orla Kelly purse!

• deegw
    3 months ago

From my experience, some of this is regional. I wear things in Denver that I get compliments about all the time. I KNOW my friends in the South would give me side eye if I wore the same things there.

• hhireno
    3 months ago

😆 of course not, Sueb! As it happens, they never had a tooth fall out on my watch, but if they had it would have been provided to the child for the tooth-fairy. The inside of the baggie is as clean as the day, lo those many years ago, when I stuck it my purse ”just in case” we needed it. I hate when kids show me their wiggly teeth 😬🤢

• deegw
    3 months ago

@hhireno I ditched my hard, bulky sunglasses case for a soft one and haven't had any issues. I like not having that bulky thing in my bag.

I use a small shoulder bag from Clare V and have plenty of space left. I am kind of ticked because 6 months or so after I purchased it Target started copying the style : (

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • Feathers11
    3 months ago

I think people wear baggy clothes for comfort, and to hide their bodies. And some may think it makes them appear smaller. I think these are assumptions of older women. I think these are their justifications. Younger women don't seem as concerned with tight clothing, from my casual observations.

I have a small waist relative to the rest of my body, and so I'll do a half-tuck with blouses, jeans and a nice belt. I don't mind drawing attention to my waist and chest (which is also small), which is also why a lowish-cut top with a long, open cardigan tends to be flattering on my body. I would not tuck a sweater--too bulky.

Sue, thanks for the risky venture! I think my own reminders as I get older will be:

1. Start with a good haircut and a smile.

2. Clothes should fit appropriately. Baggy means I've given up.

3. Accessories are important, especially with the basics.

4. Stay interested and engaged with the world. I think those women are appealing also because they are doing just that.

(Deegw, yes, that happens to me, too!)

eld6161 thanked Feathers11
  • deegw
    3 months ago

Sue, did you like the Sargent exhibit? DD went with her in-laws over Christmas and enjoyed it. I was jealous. The pictures look fabulous. (This is a pic I copied from the website, it's not DD)

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • Kswl
    3 months ago

Love that dress, but I’ll bet with all the beading it is really heavy.

Feathers I think you’re right about baggy clothing being an older person’s choice rather than a younger person’s, mainly bc when I see a heavier younger woman wearing skin tight leggings and a cropped top I wonder why she chose something so unflattering— when obviously it is not unflattering to her. If it’s a teen my second thought is how did she get that outfit past her mother?? Somewhere out there in the universe is a happy medium of well fitting….. squarely in between skin tight and baggy.

• hhireno
    3 months ago

@deegw For years my sunglasses were in a soft sided case I bought at the Art Institute of Chicago, with Rainy Day in Paris on it, because the juxtaposition made me laugh. But my glasses were broken in the case, in my purse, on a flight. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Even that case was a problem with many smallish purses. I now use a triangular, semi-hard, not very large case from Maui Jim.

I carry a Bagallini (sp?) so its not large-large, but I would like to go a bit smaller. I don’t need a tiny purse, but big enough to hold and comfortably access my phone, sunglasses, keys, and tissues. I’ll check out Clare V offerings, thank you.

eta: Years ago I had the ”perfect” purse from Target. It fit just right on my shoulder and under my arm, it opened wide, the inside was lined with bright pink fabric so easy to see inside, and it had one section with one small inside pocket. It was leather but very lightweight (because it was cheap 😆). I now prefer a crossbody and that purse did not have that option. But maybe I should open my mind and heart to new/old possibilities.

eld6161 thanked hhireno
  • Funkyart
    3 months ago

I am feeling so self-conscious reading this thread -- my hair isnt gray but it looks like it hasn't been trimmed since 1988!

Also, I am feeling validated, encouraged and enabled! Just this morning I decided I was going to get a new purse. I don't need a new purse -- in fact, I had an opportunity to get it before Christmas and I said I don't need a new purse! Pretty sure I posted about it here and said I don't need a new purse! I even got another new crossbody purse for Christmas. I don't need a new purse but I want one. I have wanted this since I first saw it 10 yr ago.

I am not a fashionista but I think crossbody bags look best when they are flat or flat-ish. I do have a few larger coach crossbodies -- they are leather but light and they are pretty flat. I think they look great --- but even if you disagree that they look great on me, they are very functional for me -- especially when traveling. My daily bags are much smaller.

I "discovered" another thing that impacts how we look as we age -- makeup! OK, I didn't discover it. We are bombarded with ads and videos telling us so -- but I never really saw it for myself until Stupid move #1: I packed an empty foundation bottle vs a full one. I was away from home for 9 days and had no makeup! Thankfully, SO agreed to take me to the insanity of the Mall of America on the day after Christmas to pick up a new bottle ... I had called ahead so they had it there waiting for me. I just paid and left. Stupid move #2: I didn't confirm that she gave me the correct formula ... and she did not!

I had a long internal conversation with myself and decided it wasnt worth taking another 1/2 day to drive there, find parking and run into the mall. Also, I had extreme vertigo/vision issues in both Nordstrom and the mall and I wasn't all that eager to return.

Long (way too long) story short, I used the bottle they sold me-- which was a completely different formula and made my face look 10 yr older. Or maybe it made my face look its age-- but my normal formula makes me look 10 yr younger. I am not sure lol... but I did not look good! I especially noticed it around my eyes/under eyes ... but truly it was the whole face. I always knew I loved my foundation best, but now I know it is MAGIC! Chanel Ultra le Teinte Velvet (what they sold me was the Chanel Aqua Vitalumiere Aqua .. fwiw the bottles look very different but in the box they look the same unless you actually read the labels)

I will now be stocking up on both my summer and winter colors! I will never be caught without it again!

eld6161 thanked Funkyart
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Funky, i hope that despite it all, you had a great visit with SO.

You got me thinking that it is time I learned about foundation. I have so many age spots!

• Funkyart
    3 months ago

I had a great visit! Thank you! I knew I didn't look my best but he didn't notice (or he did notice but was wise enough to not mention it. LOL)

Yes, I am not well versed in the range products as I tend to just stick with what works for me-- but there are so many options for various needs. I think the blurring features are what works best for me-- I have some discoloring but not many spots.

eld6161 thanked Funkyart
  • lakeaffect_gw
    3 months ago

I’m not into dressing up, and can’t relate to the blogger’s style one iota, tho she does have great hair in a fun cut and tons of money, so good for her. Regarding wearing loose (I don’t say “baggy” even tho I know it’s true) clothing, I must have some undiagnosed sensory problem, because I literally can’t focus when I have tightly fitted clothing on, and would never wear Spankx or the like, I rarely even wear a bra. I’m also guilty of having the same hairstyle since, well, my whole life, it’s pretty long, and I almost always wear it up or with a barrette, I figure I’ve saved thousands of dollars over the years by not coloring my hair and by only getting it cut once a year to keep the ends from totally frizzing out. My mother was petite, pretty and fashionable and I am tall, non-descript and big boned and dress as casually as I can get away with, and my disinterest in ”girly” clothing was a lifelong disappointment (and flashpoint) between us till the day she passed away. I learned though, I never criticized my daughter for her choices, and we have never once fought about clothing, and at this point, as she’s 25, I doubt we ever will.

eld6161 thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 months ago

I think it's possible to be very casual, even sporty and still be girly. I rarely dress up and the church I go to has anything dress so I can wear anything I want. Most of the older people often wear suits and dresses. Most of the teenage boys wear shorts and anything in between is appropriate.

I bought this pair of nylon pants lined in flannel in the fall and thought they were the best things ever. I wore them everywhere all the time until one day actually looked at myself in the mirror and realized I looked like a potato on a stick. Is there a term for pants that look like diapers? Lol but they are so comfortable. I've been wearing them around the house today but I've given up wearing them out!

eld6161 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 months ago

I am not sure which of her videos I should be looking at, but her style isn’t exactly my style. I can see that just from looking at a few pictures. She dresses up way more than I do most days. Sure I wore blazers, skirts, & dress pants when I worked, but very rarely button shirts as I don’t think they were flattering on me. I wore silk or jersey T’s and the like which were easy to pack, some cardigans with them that could be dressed up. Still do on occasion. I also have a few sheath type dresses and midi dresses and skirts which work well when I need to up my game a little. I’m currently on 2 Boards and for those meetings I wear a dress or skirt and jacket usually. Same to when we go to a play, concert, or i go to lunch or a museum with friends.

Tucked in shirts, and especially anything with a belt, do nothing for my long lean body, nor do i think they are comfortable. I rarely even wear jeans anymore because I cannot settle on a pair that fit right or that I think might be in style.

The rest of the time, which is 90%, is joggers, Athleta stretch pants, a smartwool or similar Athleta long-sleeve or short T, maybe a merino hoodie or a Patagonia jacket for warmth. In have plenty of comfy shoes and boots/booties that will go with almost anything.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Sueb20
    3 months ago

Dee, I enjoyed it but it was waaaay too crowded (even with timed tickets).

• OutsidePlaying
    3 months ago

Sueb, I enjoyed your ’insider reporting’ and photos. I don’t know why some wear oversized tops. I try to avoid them as I think it only accentuates certain features. IMO, the length and fit of a top is critical to how one looks. Just as pants should be fitted but not too tight or too loose.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Judi
    3 months ago

Poetry and Wrap remind me of some of the stuff I would buy at Pier 1 in the 80s, albeit at a much higher price point. The same goes for a lot of stuff shared here. No way I'm paying $100 or more for a top.

I've always dressed on the bohemian side and see no reason to change in my 70s. It's all about comfort.

eld6161 thanked Judi
  • deegw
    3 months ago

This thread reminded me of last year when we had a crazy windy day. I went to the post office in slim jeans, Adidas running shoes, a nylon LL Bean anorak, sunglasses and a ball cap. I usually wear a couple of those things each day but rarely all at once. I held the door for this really old man and he said, "Thank you so much, young man". LOL

Apparently, my day-to-day style is very close to "teen boy".

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Dee, oh my!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 months ago

At one point I was very thin and I am tall, and I found the oversized things looked better on me then fitted. Either way, it's about balance a fitted piece with an oversized piece.

eld6161 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Bumble, I agree. I'm not a fan of things being too oversized. I'm very short ( and apparently shrinking) and I need things fitted.

• Sueb20
    3 months ago

Bumble, true, but I was seeing short, stocky women wearing oversized sweaters/sweatshirts with super baggy pants. And not like, ”this is the style” baggy, more like ”this is 3 sizes too big” baggy.

I wear baggy/oversized tops way more than I should on my short, stocky body, but I am really tired of sucking in my stomach!

• Kswl
    3 months ago

i like a belt bc it gives me the illusion of a waist. I have a column type build and have to use smoke and mirrors to feign a figure.

SueB, I don’t think anyone is ever truly satisfied with their own body type. When I complained about my gravitational sag DH pointed out that if health is the real aim, one’s waist should simply be half or less of their height measurement. That metric is supposed to a predictor of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and hypertension. So a person who is 63 inches tall should have a waist smaller than 31.5. If you’re in that category, stop sucking it in, you’re healthy! A female figure with a waist ten inches less than the bust is unrealistic and not even necessarily related to good health.

eld6161 thanked Kswl
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

KSWL, that's interesting.

I agree that we are more critical of ourselves than others are of us.

• maire_cate
    3 months ago

deegw - I've had the repeating comments experience too and initially thought I'd done something to cause it. It's happened twice on this thread this morning and I think there was a quick 'blink' on my screen when it happened.

Sueb - I have an Orla Kiely bag that I picked up on vacation. It's one of my favorites and can be dressy or casual. I had one of the older nylon stem bags but gave it to DD.

Many of my bags are crossbody but I specifically look for ones with a long, adjustable strap which allows you convert it from crossbody to shoulder to handbag. I can't understand the current trend of wide, luggage straps on small bags and then positioning the bag across your chest like a bandolier for ammo or a feed sack for a horse. This one can also be a belt bag.

When I'm out with my grand daughters I carry a small MZ Wallace bag - it's lightweight and crossbody so that my hands are free to grab a toddler or two. But I switched the wide, nylon strap for a narrower one.

I enjoyed viewing Candace Cima's blog but felt more at home with the second one that Eld posted - Jennifer's Well Styled Life. It was a little more casual and in line with things I wear. But both blogs remind me that I need to change my make-up. While 'less is more' is applicable to my morning exercise classes in the pool I really need to change it up for the rest of the day.

eld6161 thanked maire_cate
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 months ago

The "new" style crossbody bags are really just waist bags/fanny packs worn across the chest. They look super awkward to me. I'll continue wearing my crossbody bags on my hip with just the strap crossbody.

eld6161 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I agree with you, Tere. I've never seen that IRL. Can't imagine it was very a winter coat.

• Irish2
    3 months ago

@maire_cate I am a proud owner of the MZ Wallace ammo bag /feed sack 😂

I find it comfortable to wear on occasion.

I like to change my bag frequently so it’s not something I use daily.

eld6161 thanked Irish2
  • maire_cate
    3 months ago

Irish - are you able to wear it across the front? It's definitely in style and I can see where it would be useful. That's how my DDIL wears hers. I tried one like that when I was looking for a hands-free, lightweight bag but I felt I needed to be taller and thinner. Then I tried it as a belt bag but I certainly didn't need to add inches to my waist.

• Kswl
    3 months ago

Feed sack…Bandolier….. Ammo…Yes, yes, yes!

Irish I tried one on at the store and it competed with my bosom. 😗

• Irish2
    3 months ago

maire_cate I wear it exactly as shown in the photo. I purchased another small Tory B wallet that fits nicely inside. It certainly isn’t eveyones style choice but it works for me.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 months ago

I bought an Able crossbody bag that laid on my chest and I liked it and I felt it was a very updated look but the bag itself was just too small for my stuff!

• Irish2
    3 months ago

@kswl I don’t have that issue 😉

Mine is more ” junk in the trunk ”

• Lars
    3 months ago

I would add leggings to the list of don'ts for people in their 70's, but I really do not like them on anyone, unless they are a ballet dancer. They are okay if they are worn as underwear with a dress or skirt over, but not just a shirt. Martha Teichner is the worst offender on TV for this look. She personifies frumpy.

eld6161 thanked Lars
  • Kswl
    3 months ago

I have a few leggings but they are skirted. Even so they are quite casual and are worn only for certain errands and dog walking. I ‘ve never heard of that person Lars but I googled her and she doesn’t seem like a person leggings would flatter. Leggings by themselves always seem just this side of sketchy to me.

• lakeaffect_gw
    3 months ago

Kswl and Lars should stay away from me then, as I wear leggings with a shirt all the time, and I am neither a ballet dancer nor "this side of sketchy".

eld6161 thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I not offended by leggings. But they need to fit properly. But, this could become a whole other thread.

• Tina Marie
    3 months ago

I agree with Eld. There are leggings and then there are "other" leggings LOL. The ones I have are a thick fabric, not skin tight. They are very comfortable and I always wear a top that covers my booty and crotch. They work well with boots/booties. I think most of us wear things that others may not like/wear just as there are things others wear that I wouldn't. For example, I would never wear a leggings/skirt combo. Someone mentioned dressing for comfort, and I totally agree with that, but it is so easy to dress comfortably and still look stylish.

eld6161 thanked Tina Marie
  • Kswl
    3 months ago

Lake, to clarify, I think the skin tight leggings with a crop top are the this side of sketchy ones. 😎

eld6161 thanked Kswl
  • Sueb20
    3 months ago

Random IG post that describes my style.

eld6161 thanked Sueb20
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Yes. I am think that is me also!

• jsk
    3 months ago

The bum bag worn crossbody across the chest cannot be beat for air travel. I like something that cannot be grabbed off my body and is very close to my body and in front. I had a Beis one that I liked but it was just slightly too small to hold both of our passports, sunglasses, reading glasses and a small wallet. For the last trip I bought a bigger one from Canvelle and it was perfect.

I would not like that style for everyday, though.

Leggings are my go to. They are comfortable and I think when worn with something that covers by bum, they are attractive. I don't like the current trend of cropped shirts with leggings. I find it funny because one influencer on instagram that I follow used to say cover those lady bits. Now she doesn't. I guess if you're an influencer you need to go with the current trends but it makes me laugh.

I also love joggers but it took me a long time and a lot of trial and error to find ones that were flattering. Most just looked frumpy on me until I found the Loft ones. Love them and they are very affordable.

eld6161 thanked jsk
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Jsk, i like Loft too. I also have Vuori, more expensive price point, but they are comfortable and look good.

• jsk
    3 months ago

One of these days, I will try the Viori joggers. I hear really good things about them and I did see them in a store and they are for sure unbelievably soft. I bought multiple pairs of the Loft joggers, so I don't need anymore. But I am tempted.

eld6161 thanked jsk