Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joy_ramluckun

planting along side with decomposting kitchen scraps

Joy Ramluckun
3 months ago

i want to create an horizontal pvc pipe network where there will be sections in it so as to let kitchen scraps decompose and also enough spots for planting vegetables having as soil medium sand mixed with cocopeat.

Comments (9)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 months ago

I agree with annpat, the pvc pipe seems superfluous. You can just bury the kitchen scraps. You just have to make sure to bury them deep enough that they won't be easily unearthed by hungry critters. Just google "in-ground composting". My mom has done this for more than 50 years.

• annpat
    3 months ago

If you're new to composting, there are some neat ideas that people could tell you about that don't involve bins.

• Joy Ramluckun
    Original Author
    3 months ago

vertical planter having a pvc pipe in the middle for keeping kitchen scraps. vegetables can be grown around the planter

• Joy Ramluckun
    Original Author
    3 months ago

planting raddish in plastic bottle 2 lts..

• floraluk2
    3 months ago

Can you provide a sketch or a clearer description of what you mean? I thought I understood from your penultimate post. But then you talk about 2litre bottles and I I'm lost again. It's difficult to understand what you are envisaging. We also do not know where you are located, which makes a difference.

• marmiegard_z7b
    3 months ago

Do you mean you would stuff kitchen scraps in the pipe ( I assume perforated) so the decomposing goo leaches out?

I guess you could do that, but I can’t reagent my head around it as a good thing. Kitchen scraps packed in somewhere turn pretty anaerobic & garbage-y. Would you keep a tight lid on top? Because in my yard, varmints would access any open, topmost ( fresh) veggie material. Plus you would have to chop everything to fit.

Kitchen scraps are typically mostly “ green” & work best when somewhat mixed or layered with at least some “ browns” like dry leaves, compostable paper and/or cardboard scraps. Of course that takes a bin, which it sounds like you are trying to avoid.

Or, use the burying method, though, that would not work for actively growing containers , mine anyway, because would be too much root disturbance unless burying just spoonfuls, which would not take care of my veggie-scrap output.

But perhaps I don’t even understand your project.
  • annpat
    3 months ago

So your pipe is inserted vertically into the ground? Are you making planting holes on the sides of the vertical pipe and putting scraps in from the top?

My elderly neighbor once asked me if I could help her husband while he drilled dozens of holes in a PVC pipe so that she could grow impatiens in it vertically. My job was to hold the pipe steady while her 95-year-old husband, very shakily, wielded a large, fast-moving, drill bit inches from my fingers---often the point of the drill bit slipping sideways on the surface of the pipe.

It worked, though.

If you are planning a vertical system, I wonder how you'll keep the kitchen scraps from becoming anerobic and fly attracting.

• socks
    2 months ago

This is so confusing. No pvc needed. Just dedicate an area to bury kitchen scraps, the rest for gardening. Or find another area for the scraps. If that doesn’t leave enough room for growing, get one of those compost bins with a lid which is also helpful if you have animals digging up your kitchen scraps. You can even use an old large trash can, drill many holes in the sides and cut out the whole bottom. Research composting Good for you for recycling those acraps (no meat, bones bones).