Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_137985322

Before & After: Small 1924 Oakland CA kitchen remodel

Jean
3 months ago

My house was flipped in 99/00 with a builder grade kitchen: it wasn’t permitted, sloppy with some bad choices. When I bought in 2012, I repainted the cabinets and walls but could not afford to remodel until just this past year. I wanted a modern, functional kitchen that still had a vintage vibe, paying homage to the 1920s roots of the house. I needed more light! And ventilation as none of the windows worked and the microwave only recirculated. This was my first real design project in this house (or any house, for that matter) and I’m really happy with how it turned out. It’s very me and I love how clean, bright and airy it feels. Originally, I was going to keep the pantry a separate room but once the space was gutted, it became obvious how unnecessary that wall was and a quick decision was made to take it out, which luckily did not affect the cabinet design at all. Feel free to hit me up with any questions! Because I found it useful when doing my own research for this remodel, details below.

Cabinets: Columbia Cabinets designed by Paragon Kitchen and Bath (Oakland). Sage bottoms, Iceberg uppers. I believe the open shelving is from Crystal Cabinets.
Tile: Fireclay Roundabout 4 Gesso motif
Countertops: Ceasarstone Frosty Carrina (honed) installed by Custom Stone (San Leandro)
Sink: Franke Fireclay Farmhouse and Faucet: Brizio, Highly recommend the SmartTouch. Ordered through The Plumbery (Dublin)
In-countertop compost: Blanco Solon
Lights: Rejuvenation. Eastmoreland fitters and striped schoolhouse/drum shades
Floors: Matched to my original white oak hardwood floors by Alva Flooring (Oakland)
Windows/door: Marvin
Kept all my original appliances except went induction (it’s the future!). Range is Fisher & Paykel. Range hood, Zephyr.
GC: RE Timm Construction (Castro Valley)

Comments (10)