Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawberryjlj

Removing tub from guest bathroom

J C
3 months ago

My husband and I need to redo our guest bathroom. Our house has a master separate bath with walk in shower. The guest has 23 your old tub with shower. We would like to replace with a step in shower. We have our elderly parents come a stay with us at least 2-3 times a year, so we worry about their safety.
We plan to sell our house in another 2-3 years. I would like opinions regarding taking out the tub/shower combo. This is a neighborhood with. Mix of retirees and families with young kids.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Comments (18)

• arcy_gw
    3 months ago

There needs to be a tub in a bathroom that is used by most members of a household. Is this 'guest bathroom' actually the main bathroom or an ensuite in a second master? The master could lose it's tub but not a main bathroom if you care about resale.

• eld6161
    3 months ago

As long as you have one tub somewhere, I would do it. Especially since your market could include retirees.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

Taking out a tub is going to be a messy, disruptive project. It could disturb the walls, wall and floor tile, and plumbing. If the bathroom is 23 years old and you are planning to move in 2-3 years, it seems like a lot of work and $$$ for not a lot of benefit. I would think anyone buying your house would probably renovate a 23 year old bathroom after they purchase it.

How high are the sides of the tub? Would they really be a hazard to your parents for the amount of time they stay with you? How old and infirm are your parents? Just asking, because my mom used to stay with us in our vacation home a few times a year, for 2 to 3 nights at a time, and she only started having issues with the tub in her 90s.

• jqj18
    3 months ago

i would not buy a home wihh the out a tub, but i have kids and i also like to soak in one occasionally. however, most older people never use a tub.

• elcieg
    3 months ago

Your parents' bathroom in their home...does it have a tub? If they are used to stepping into a tub, then leave it as is for the next 6 visits or so. If they need more security, then I agree with @A Mat. Give them your master for the short visits.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

Since you're only going to be there 2-3 more years, is it really worth the cost and hassle of redoing it for your parents (another 6-8 visits?? in that time, couldn't they just use your walk in shower?)

You'd have to talk to a realtor in your area to see what they think about removing the spare bath tub. Not everyone has small children. Some have teens who prefer showers. small kids could be bathed in the master tub. (and small kids grow to be big kids)

Taking out the tub isn't a big deal. I did w/my neighbors bathroom. (it's 5x8)

(i don't have a before, but they did have a tub in this spot)

they also did this for her two elderly parents

• J C
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you to all that have responded. We may just wind up having someone come in and rebuild the vanity and place a new top and sink. About three years ago we started taking out the vanity and haphazardly put it back. So I call it the Frankenstein bathroom.
    What are anyones thoughts of having someone come in and spray the tile and tub white? The tub porcelain looks like it’s wearing thin in areas where you stand.

• A Mat
    3 months ago

You plan to sell, why put money into your house, the buyers will remodel.

I recommend discussing your plans with local realtors.

How many people per year use the guest tub? A tub you want to remove.

Maybe you should post your budget.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

it's fine to spray. will last 3-4 yrs. I've had it done to my tub a few times.

instead of spraying the tile, why not redo it? then you can pop in another tub .

I mean, if you're remodeling, then remodel the whole thing!

if you show us the bathroom, perhaps we can offer some other suggestions.

but rather than just spraying , you could update the whole room. it won't hurt on resale.

again, talk to a realtor to see what the consensus is for removing the spare tub

you could always do a shower w/a nice bench seat

Some other 'tub out' redos
    if you have a 5x8 or 5x10 bathroom size, this is how to remodel it:

curbless:

i love this one. I don't think anyone would miss the tub. and it's nice for elderly since there is no curb

• Mrs Pete
    3 months ago

We had our hall tub removed /replaced with a walk-in shower. Why? The tub was making a slow descent into the crawl space. It was a 1 1/2 day project for a pro + his assistant. They spent the first day cutting the tub in half /hauling it out /getting down to the studs /waterproofing /adding the tile. The half day they spent grouting.

• just_janni
    3 months ago

If all you ever use is a shower, the tub/shower combo is really sub optimal when you use it. The footing space is small, the stepover is dangerous, etc. Putting in a shower pan in the same footprint as the tub is a HUGE showering improvement. As long as you have a tub somewhere, it's fine. People with young kids can use the master and then when they are ready to shower on their own, it's a better experience for them, too!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 months ago

If you have no other tubs in your home I might suggest keeping the tub. When you put your house on the market in 2 or 3 years not having a tub might keep a family with kids from buying. Since you will be selling in another 2 to 3 years the cost of removing the tub and replacing with a shower might outweigh the benefit to your parents since there will not be that many visits before you sell.

• Louise Smith
    3 months ago

I removed all the tubs in my house when we bought it and remodeled the bathrooms because I like to shower and so do my guests. Life is uncertain and I didn't want to keep a bathtub "just in case" I had to sell the house. I live in the house NOW. I didn't remodel for some future owners.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

IMO one tub is a must and in your case for sure since a family might pass it up becuase you do not have a tub. I use my tub every night so I would hesitate to buy a home where the first thing I would need to do is install a tub. I love the nice clean looking easy to care for Maax tub/ shower combos anice glass shower screen with ahinged door not horribly expensive and looks great.But if what you have now is in good condition let your parents use your shower and leave the rest as is.

• arcy_gw
    3 months ago

She has a tub--in the master!!! The question is is that one alone ok for resale!!! It's always yours to customize what works for you LS but since you haven't tried to sell you can't speak to how it affected your resale. I agree if you are customizing do it EARLY in your life in that home. Enjoy the rooms. That is money well spent. Remodeling for resale is a totally different thing!!!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    3 months ago

The young children I know rarely take baths these days. Starting as a young toddler they shower in the fancy big shower that mom and dad have. My grand even has a water table in theirs to make it a water park experience.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 months ago

I replaced my tub/shower combo with a walk-in shower of the same footprint and with the plumbing in the same place, and it was not particularly messy or disruptive - no more than replacing the toilet or vanity. However.....I think every home should have a tub somewhere, though, so if it's the only tub in your house, I'd recommend leaving it there. Let your parents use your walk in shower a few times a year, in my opinion.