Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drdaily

Is this tape job a problem?

Mike Daily
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Hi all - I'm in the process of finishing a room in my basement, and I'm a complete newbie. I hung all the drywall for the room I'm finishing, which came out pretty good. I am now working on the drywall taping/mudding. I have never done this before, so I'm just learning this as I go. After doing the first layer where I taped over the tapered joints, I initially thought it came out pretty good - however a couple days later I noticed I somehow applied the tape "off-center" from the seams in several spots.

See the pictures below. If you look closely you can see the seam under the tape as the "darker" horizontal line due to where the tape contours into the seam slightly. You can see I put the tape kind of crooked/slanted, so as the tape runs to the left you can see the seam gets closer and closer to the top edge of the tape. The second picture is where it's the worst, where the seam is very close to the edge of the tape.

The third picture shows what most of the wall looks like - not as bad as the spot above, but still a bit off-center.
So my question is: is this ok? Or do I need to fix/redo this before moving on to the next layer of mud? If so, how would I go about fixing this?

Comments (7)

• HU-867564120
    3 months ago

Where your tape edge is close/very close to the underlying drywall joint, I would expect to see cracked joints n the future if left alone. I would wet it, let the water soak into things, and then carefully peel the tape off, clean the excess mud off and start over. I'm also not fond of paper tape (I tend to push too hard and squeeze too much joint compound out), so I use mesh tape instead.

• Mike Daily
    Original Author
    3 months ago

So would you say the first two pictures need to be re-taped, but the third (where there is more room above the join) is ok?

If the third one should be re-taped, I'm going to have to do a lot of re-taping, since that's most of the room :( . But where it's as bad as the first two pictures is just one little section.

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 months ago

Here is a link to some videos to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_Aetb7e8ejxJi5m7iZBY91M-t4WLVEv1

This is your first image, and I'd redo any tape that looks like this. Also see the circled spot. Tape probably not stuck there. The tape looks dry. What type of mud are you using, and are you thinning it any (you probably should be).

• Mike Daily
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for the response PPF.! I have been using this video for reference: https://youtu.be/naBal346_9c?si=Yh_H6DeuS1rC0Jjh

I am using premixed joint compound, and yes I am thinning it out with water and using a mixer drill attachment to mix it (basically following instructions from the video I posted above). I did notice that spot as well - it is not an air bubble, it is hard if you press it. I think it's a small chunk of drywall that chipped off close to the butt joint, probably caused by me puting a screw close to the edge. I was going to just take a razorblade and cut the little bump out.

I can redo that piece, but what about the third picture where it isn't quite as bad? I don't have the experience to know how bad is bad enough that I need to redo it, and that would determine how much of the room I need to re-tape. If the third picture is still bad enough, I probably need to redo almost the whole room.

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 months ago

Just watched the first 14 minutes of your reference video. Suggest you watch it a couple more times. Focus on keeping things neat and leaving a smooth finish free of ridges. Nothing wrong with using a 6" knife to wipe the joint down as your final pass. Try for a uniform coating under and over the tape.

I'd say picture 3 might be OK, but anywhere you have less than 5/8" of tape (3/4" is better) on one side of the seam, it's a do over.

• Mike Daily
    Original Author
    3 months ago

PPF. - any suggestions for how I go about redoing the tape? Am I able to just peel the tape of (afer wetting it), or will I have to sand the mud off?

• cat_ky
    3 months ago

Damp sponge (dont soak it), and the mud will smooth out nicely. It seems, like you are using paper tape, and not getting the mud under it evenly for the tape. You may want to use fiberglass type tape that sticks by itself, and mud goes on afterwards. Its not hard to center the tape with the seam , and get nice straight tape lines. Dont put any mud on any of it, until you have taped every single seam, on the new drywall, and then mud all the areas over the screws. Hopefully, you havent broken the paper on the drywall with the screws. They should be recessed, but, not break the paper itself. Hopefully it will all go well for you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH