Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1ltwood

Should we paint our brick? With rendering.

1ltwood
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Working on the curb appeal of our brick ranch, Considering painting/staining/whitewashing vs adding other elements. Do we need to add a peak over the entryway or any other ideas?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• HU-707562950
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I think this exterior has a ton of potential, so it's really going to come down to your personal preference. Before making a drastic change, I would clean up some of the landscaping, especially along the walkway to the front door. To me, those taller bushes are jarring, but some lower ground cover and shorter plants would be lovely! I would also remove the flags, streamers, and the welcome sign (at least temporarily). I've found things like that to be super distracting when trying to make design decisions. You can always put them back once the exterior is updated, but cleaning up the visual clutter for now will be helpful in making the right choice for the house overall and not just for the current aesthetic.

I know this will be a controversial opinion, but I would whitewash the brick and paint the siding a light, complementary color (I'm picturing maybe a sage green, but you could really go any direction).

I would look into getting wider shutters, maybe something in the same color family as the window trim (or in a contrasting color if you end up whitewashing the brick). For some reason, my eyes are drawn to the fact that the windows on the left-hand side of the house are lower than the ones on the right. I'm assuming that's necessary based on the structure of the house, and maybe having less contrast would take some of the attention away from that.

Congratulations! It's a lovely home and I think the sky is the limit with how you approach the design!

1ltwood thanked HU-707562950
  • abqwside6209
    2 months ago

Keep the trim, shutters , exterior brick the samefor now. The green " mushrooms" lined up are a major detractor. I would hire a landscape architect or designer to draw up an elevation of native trees and plants to your area that would be low maintenance to maintain once established. Create some curving paths with a couple of shade trees. We did just that and the street appeal plus our enjoyment in connecting with nature is forever changed for the better!

• Lyn Nielson
    2 months ago

I would paint just the siding SW Polished Mahagony. I would remove all the shutters and the over shaped shrubs (or let them fill out naturally) . Paint the front door a bright sky blue.

• kandrewspa
    2 months ago

Brick is the perfect no maintenance exterior. Yours is not unattractive, so I don't see any need to cover it up. I think I would use a lighter gray than what Lyn suggested because your roof is a light gray, but you can change the color of the siding but leave the brick and get a different look. Black shutters and a more interesting door color to finish. There are a lot of different colors that will work with a red brick and gray exterior. Sorry, but I also don't like the shrub balls. They're not natural looking.

Burlington Retreat · More Info

1ltwood thanked kandrewspa
  • Sammie J
    2 months ago

I wouldn't! Your brick is actually the best part of the exterior! First, redo the landscaping into shapes that aren't so linear, use color, and add trees; remove the shutters; paint the downspouts to match the brick; and clean the roof.

1ltwood thanked Sammie J
  • Hemlock
    2 months ago

Don't paint the brick. You will be doing it again in 10 years.

• Jenny
    2 months ago

I would beef up the pillars and paint the non-brick areas. A designer here recommends the SW Dried Thyme - Evergreen Fog - Rosemary family with red brick and the photos are gorgeous.

1ltwood thanked Jenny
  • chloebud
    2 months ago

Your brick is great and adds a lot to the house. I would remove the shutters from the large window. I happen to like red brick with white and black…classic. Agree landscaping will help.

1ltwood thanked chloebud
  • Sigrid
    2 months ago

The brick is great, white houses are so overdone. In a few years everyone will say they are so dated. I'd paint the shutters a darkish blue/lightish navy and redo the landscaping. Those pompoms are quite unnatural-looking.

1ltwood thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

IMO the brick is the best part of the house and painting it is the fastest way to devalue your home IMO the low windows on the left are a bit odd . You have a MCM ranch paint all the siding a nice sage green not the brick do some cool MCM landscaping , remove the shutters and those bunch of evergreen balls need to go.Get a front doorin this type of style and this is a fab way to handle MCM landscaping , all better than painting the brick.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor